A note on Norway spruce

9C6720DB-1727-418F-A172-753F92C645C3.jpeg6F7F5204-933C-43DD-8BB1-D4F38DEB273C.jpeg

My experience so far with both varieties planted in loamy heavy clay zone 6A as a road screen project.
Neither gets browsed by anything, both need protected or they will get rubbed by bucks.

These were planted around five years ago..left over potted 3’ culls that I bought a bunch of from local nursery for $5-$10 to use as road screen. They were not pretty trees at all..very Charlie Brown Christmas tree looking.
These are about the nicest ones of each that I planted.

First is Black Hills Spruce about 9’ now
Second Norway Spruce about 9’ also

Again both were not pretty when planted but are coming along. I give the edge to Black Hills just being a thicker growing natural shaping tree.
Both are great varieties to plant, hold their low branches and need zero maintenance besides a little fertilizer and cage or posts close by to protect. Great for wildlife especially birds and bunnies in winter. They do make a nice screen.

I just planted a bunch of nice 4’-5’ Black Hills along new pond at other farm for road screen and wind block.

Beauties, H20!!! Nothing wrong with either, IMO. I have to get some Black Hills spruce - you guys have me convinced.

538520BC-3099-4929-83A1-34870914FB30.jpeg
Beauties, H20!!! Nothing wrong with either, IMO. I have to get some Black Hills spruce - you guys have me convinced.

Here is a decent 4’ balled Black Hills that I just bought Sunday that we will be using as a living Christmas tree in the house then plant out at the pond after Christmas.

Take a look at the ones I planted over the weekend in the Everything Ponds section thread New Project. Those are pretty nice ones, best we have planted yet.

For all these spruces/pines how would you cage/screen them? Can I get away with 2x4" X 5' wire mesh or should I get 6x6" x 5' remesh? Is there still the worry of mice/voles/rabbits eating the bark at the base of the tree or is that only a fruit tree concern?
Also is there a benefit to starting out with a little more expensive but larger trees (like 2-3 gallon containers?)
I am looking into this for my screen for next year and it will have lots of spruces/pines in it. Thanks!

For larger volume I use farm fence with an electric fence post to keep it down.
Old used farm fence works fine, out at our new pond the wife wants “new” fence of course!
A roll of farm fence is 330’ feet long at 10’ a cage that’s 33 cages.
And farm fence is just good enough to keep a battle hungry buck from trying them or some dumb hillbilly with a saw from topping one for Christmas.
When trees are big enough that they are growing through a 10’ circle it is safe to remove.
I’ve never had trouble with mice or voles on conifers.

For larger volume I use farm fence with an electric fence post to keep it down.
Old used farm fence works fine, out at our new pond the wife wants “new” fence of course!
A roll of farm fence is 330’ feet long at 10’ a cage that’s 33 cages.
And farm fence is just good enough to keep a battle hungry buck from trying them or some dumb hillbilly with a saw from topping one for Christmas.
When trees are big enough that they are growing through a 10’ circle it is safe to remove.
I think I am only doing 20 or so and I already have the fence (cut into 13' sections that I could cut in half to make 7.5' circumference) a couple stakes and maybe a post and a weed mat and I am thinking it should be good to go.

H20 - Where did you source yours from (if you don't mind me asking?)..

H20 - Where did you source yours from (if you don't mind me asking?)..

I got all of mine (BHS) potted or balled from two local nurseries here.
Like I said the ugly culls were cheap $5-$10 each, the ones we have bought for living Christmas trees around $70-$80, the really nice ones around our pond 4’-5’ were $236 each.

I have bought nice 2’-3’ Norway Spruce bare root from ColdStream Farm out of MI very reasonable, I think they were like $6-$10 each depending on volume. I haven’t checked to see if they have BHS they probably do.

I have bought nice 2’-3’ Norway Spruce bare root from ColdStream Farm out of MI very reasonable, I think they were like $6-$10 each depending on volume. I haven’t checked to see if they have BHS they probably do.

They do. I've just never tried to plant bare root trees before, more of a novice at the tree side of things.. :emoji_thinking:

Derek -
I agree with H20. Just fruit trees, in my experience.
Cold Stream has BHS listed on their web site. That's probably where I'll order mine from. I've always had nice stock from Cold Stream. I have an order for other seedlings from them already processed. Next spring I'll gripe about my back hurting from the planting !!! Sucker for habitat here .........

H20 -
Are you really gonna use that tumbleweed for an indoor live Christmas tree?????? :emoji_grin: Those BHS look really good.

Derek -
I agree with H20. Just fruit trees, in my experience.

Cold Stream has BHS listed on their web site. That's probably where I'll order mine from. I've always had nice stock from Cold Stream. I have an order for other seedlings from them already processed. Next spring I'll gripe about my back hurting from the planting !!! Sucker for habitat here .........

H20 -
Are you really gonna use that tumbleweed for an indoor live Christmas tree?????? :emoji_grin: Those BHS look really good.

I’m same as you and most of the members on here…always ordering more trees and shrubs!
I’ve got a bunch of American plums and hazelnuts ordered from ColdStream for spring 2022. Seems like I always find room for more stuff!

I’ve got a bunch of American plums and hazelnuts ordered from ColdStream for spring 2022
I'd love to plant hazelnuts and native plums at camp - but the stinkin' bears !!! Hazels and plums would be wiped out. Thank GOD oaks are big and tough trees, or we wouldn't have any acorns either. Bears would make hazels look like a brush hog ran them over.

We're offering a holiday "special" on bear transplants if you'd like to order up a few dozen. :emoji_rage:

I'd love to plant hazelnuts and native plums at camp - but the stinkin' bears !!! Hazels and plums would be wiped out. Thank GOD oaks are big and tough trees, or we wouldn't have any acorns either. Bears would make hazels look like a brush hog ran them over.

We're offering a holiday "special" on bear transplants if you'd like to order up a few dozen. :emoji_rage:
Wish I could find one during season.