2021 Scion Exchange

Finished scion collecting for this year. Until the snowdrifts subsided two weeks ago access to many of the trees was just too tough. Last spring, with hopes of getting more usable scions we trimmed a few of our better deer trees. And then fertilized them in May and again in June. And then we had a rare for us drought period in July and August. Still some of the trees grew much improved scions over what the same trees had grew the year before trimming. There were some large ones but the norm was 3/16 to 1/4 inch. I'd like to see them growing more in the 1/4 inch to 7/18 inch as the norm. Hopefully we'll get a normal rainfall and with heavy trimming again this year and fertilizer again we'll see an improvement.

Used one of our camp refrigerators for holding scions for the grafting here. The wife wasn't thrilled last year with my using the house refrigerator. EDIT-OOps, meant to put in the apple and more apples thread. Hopefully that is my worst mistake today--am off to work on the honey-do list.
IMG_2096[1949].jpg
These scions will be used for my property and the two of my neighbors properties that are in our Deer Management Co-op. There are scions there from the best trees from each of our properties which we will share with each other. Soon I'll be picking up my rootstock and we will all be grafting. With my vast one season of grafting experience I will be leading the group thru the adventure of grafting. Am looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Finished scion collecting for this year. Until the snowdrifts subsided two weeks ago access to many of the trees was just too tough. Last spring, with hopes of getting more usable scions we trimmed a few of our better deer trees. And then fertilized them in May and again in June. And then we had a rare for us drought period in July and August. Still some of the trees grew much improved scions over what the same trees had grew the year before trimming. There were some large ones but the norm was 3/16 to 1/4 inch. I'd like to see them growing more in the 1/4 inch to 7/18 inch as the norm. Hopefully we'll get a normal rainfall and with heavy trimming again this year and fertilizer again we'll see an improvement.

Used one of our camp refrigerators for holding scions for the grafting here. The wife wasn't thrilled last year with my using the house refrigerator. EDIT-OOps, meant to put in the apple and more apples thread. Hopefully that is my worst mistake today--am off to work on the honey-do list.
View attachment 33960
These scions will be used for my property and the two of my neighbors properties that are in our Deer Management Co-op. There are scions there from the best trees from each of our properties which we will share with each other. Soon I'll be picking up my rootstock and we will all be grafting. With my vast one season of grafting experience I will be leading the group thru the adventure of grafting. Am looking forward to it.

My scion fridge was stuffed full for a period and looked like that. Open the door and zip locks would tumble out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My scion fridge was stuffed full for a period and looked like that. Open the door and zip locks would tumble out.

You really cut a ton of scions Sandbur. My frig. was full enough coordinating cuttings with only a few people; I can imagine what your frig. was like with all the packages you sent out.

You really cut a ton of scions Sandbur. My frig. was full enough coordinating cuttings with only a few people; I can imagine what your frig. was like with all the packages you sent out.

It was not a big fridge, but one of those waist high college fridges.

I know it's getting a little warm to be shipping scions but would anyone like to make a trade? Here's what I have. Apple fuji, red delicious, yellow delicious, mcintosh, pixie crunch. Peach early Elberta, red haven. I'll have a lot more to offer next year. I'm looking for any late dropping apple, crabapple, pear or persimmon. I'm located in northern illinois.

Thanks

I know it's getting a little warm to be shipping scions but would anyone like to make a trade? Here's what I have. Apple fuji, red delicious, yellow delicious, mcintosh, pixie crunch. Peach early Elberta, red haven. I'll have a lot more to offer next year. I'm looking for any late dropping apple, crabapple, pear or persimmon. I'm located in northern illinois.

Thanks
If anyone is close enough I also have some small dunstan chestnuts I could trade as well.

If anyone is close enough I also have some small dunstan chestnuts I could trade as well.
I was sure I had no more persimmon scions but as I was taking the apple scions from the fridge to graft today, I found a few remaining Khurma Zima persimmon sticks and a single Barbara's Blush persimmon stick (this one is pretty thin but I think should be OK). I don't need any more scions myself this year but would be happy to send these to you if you still need them -- PM me your address. (According to Cliff England, now through the 3d week of June is the best time to graft).

I was sure I had no more persimmon scions but as I was taking the apple scions from the fridge to graft today, I found a few remaining Khurma Zima persimmon sticks and a single Barbara's Blush persimmon stick (this one is pretty thin but I think should be OK). I don't need any more scions myself this year but would be happy to send these to you if you still need them -- PM me your address. (According to Cliff England, now through the 3d week of June is the best time to graft).
My persimmons are still pretty tiny. 1/8 to maybe 3/16. I just planted

My persimmons are still pretty tiny. 1/8 to maybe 3/16. I just planted them this spring. Do you think they would be ok to graft to?

My persimmons are still pretty tiny. 1/8 to maybe 3/16. I just planted them this spring. Do you think they would be ok to graft to?
Well, I am not an expert (by any stretch!), perhaps others on this site can give you a knowledgeable answer. I think most scions are 3/16-1/4 thick, and they say to ideally match the thickness with the recipient, so logically then, 3/16 might be OK. Myself, when I grafted my persimmon, the rootstock was much thicker, perhaps 1/2'. I just grafted my apple tree, to branches that were about pencil-thick (1/4?) but those were individual branches, not the main stem. So -- I wish I knew but I don't want to mislead you.

Well, I am not an expert (by any stretch!), perhaps others on this site can give you a knowledgeable answer. I think most scions are 3/16-1/4 thick, and they say to ideally match the thickness with the recipient, so logically then, 3/16 might be OK. Myself, when I grafted my persimmon, the rootstock was much thicker, perhaps 1/2'. I just grafted my apple tree, to branches that were about pencil-thick (1/4?) but those were individual branches, not the main stem. So -- I wish I knew but I don't want to mislead you.
Oh, I did not notice the "just planted" bit. When I got my persimmon rootstick from Cliff England, he told me to wait a year before grafting, and then sent me the scion a year later. He is extremely knowledgeable (google him for "cliff england's orchard") so I think this means it's too early for you.

Glad I've been procrastinating on grafting my persimmon!

Unfortunately this weather has not fared well for the grafted class of 2021 here in NW WI. Success was well below normal for me with the extreme hot, dry weather.ACCCCB3A-34D6-4F8E-BA64-4E8C09C47995.jpeg

Unfortunately this weather has not fared well for the grafted class of 2021 here in NW WI. Success was well below normal for me with the extreme hot, dry weather.View attachment 35308

Our land looks the same. I keep hauling water and hope my topworks will make it. I did no bench grafting this year.

I have a Krymsk and Marianna rootstocks, and want to graft one of them with apricots and the other with plums. Here in OH, I need to use late-booming or frost-resistent cultivars, so I was wondering if anyone had the following scions: for apricots, I am looking for any of Zard, Mormon (Chinese), Harcot, Harglow, and Mostrose. For plums, I am looking for Edda, Willingham Gage, and Mirabelle de Nancy or Geneva Mirabelle. In return, I could only offer WS8-10 (Barbara’s Blush) persimmon this year, and any number of Chicago Fig cuttings (available until they likely die in February when really low temps arrive here). But if you don't need them, I'd be more than happy to pay S&H for any scion sticks you might have from the above list. Thanks in advance!

I have a Krymsk and Marianna rootstocks, and want to graft one of them with apricots and the other with plums. Here in OH, I need to use late-booming or frost-resistent cultivars, so I was wondering if anyone had the following scions: for apricots, I am looking for any of Zard, Mormon (Chinese), Harcot, Harglow, and Mostrose. For plums, I am looking for Edda, Willingham Gage, and Mirabelle de Nancy or Geneva Mirabelle. In return, I could only offer WS8-10 (Barbara’s Blush) persimmon this year, and any number of Chicago Fig cuttings (available until they likely die in February when really low temps arrive here). But if you don't need them, I'd be more than happy to pay S&H for any scion sticks you might have from the above list. Thanks in advance!
This is a year old thread I wait for the 2022 scion exchange or start it yourself you will probably get more hits

This is a year old thread I wait for the 2022 scion exchange or start it yourself you will probably get more hits
Thanks for the tip, I did not realize new threads are started anew each year.