2020 crops

Oh man, that is painful to see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've still got all the potential for a very BIG crop. Corn is deep green from top to bottom and looks like a picket fence. 250+ BPA corn is not out of the question and neither is 70+ BPA beans, but we could REALLY use a good soaker and chances just arent great. There is no surplus moisture at all. Corn is about done pollinating already and it looks like things went really well. The nodes on my beans are stacked really tight and have big pod clusters and excellent lateral branching starting. Need one good shot of rain to canopy the rows. I might be calling in the sprayer to put a fungicide on the beans and a plane to do the corn. Logged 9 hours + walking the beans yesterday to try and kill the last few satanic weed escapes from hell. Finish line is gonna be around Oct 1. Should be an extremely early fall this year for the farmers in MN. No corn for those stinky deer to hide in.

IMG_3926.JPGIMG_3932.JPGIMG_3933.JPGIMG_3935.JPGIMG_3938.JPG

Here's my only crop pic. Couple days ago. Gambled and planted sweet corn in a little drowned out hole.

Soybeans for us are on 30" rows and it makes me nervous how much daylight is still between the rows. Used a potent Pre combo of Sonic/Boundary and hit them w/ Flexstar shortly before 7/4. They might canopy in 10 days. Planted early June.

20200714_102518.jpg

I sprayed 5 oz authority first (Same as sonic)for the pre. Came back around 6/7 with full rate of warrant ultra (flex star + warrant) and then enough extra warrant to get to 4 pts total, and a full rate of roundup powermax. They are extend beans and I wanted to spray dicamba but the 9th circuit court in California shut that down. Liberty and the new enlist beans look like an absolute flop for weed control. They had to spray 40oz liberty twice and they still didn’t get them all. Just can’t understand why some of these fools don’t do a pre. They are costing themselves a ton of bushels.

is that pigweed or palmer amaranth?

I'm lucky that standard Fleet Farm round-up still kills everything in my fields/plots. I sprayed twice and pulled a few random escapes by hand and now my 10 acres of beans have canopied. I spray using a 25 gallon ATV sprayer and that leads to some missed spots where the weeds need to be pulled by hand.

pigweed, palmer, waterhemp.... Its all the same demonic creation from hell. No need to differentiate cause its nearly impossible to kill any of it now. Best way to combat is with pre emerge herbicide applications. Now is the time you are gonna see that shit start to poke above the beans. It was smart and hid under the canopy of beans and did quite get blanketed with the post emerge pass and now it thinks it is safe to come out and spread its millions of seeds to battle for the next decade.

IMG_3925.JPG

Pic I took last night of corn and hay ground, the corn is looks tremendous.. close to a record yield I think, without any hail/wind.A4C321CB-EA4D-4600-B60D-F0867700F863.jpeg

Looks great,funny how everything goes by topsoil,from price of land to yield.What you expect in Iowa for corn we would call someone a liar in Kansas if they said they harvested.Our double crop beans are just barely above the wheat stubble.Finally some milo being planted as the sugar cane aphid is somewhat under control.

As my uncle Dan would say, “it’s not what you put in the tank it’s what you put in the bank”.

In recent years mid summer fungicide treatments are flown on and lead to a fish kill somewhere for the last several years around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A real whopper in the making here 50 miles west of Murderapolis. We were desperate for rain and have got about 1.2-1.6" over the last 5 days. Another 1.5" would really make a lot of grain. My soybeans have phenomenal potential. I have huge pod counts and upper clusters are forming (upper clusters and seed size make the BIG yields). I am really hoping for 70+ BPA soybeans. Corn should be very good but was hurt a little by a lack of moisture the last month on lighter soils around here. I think 210-250 bushel corn is gonna capture a lot of the acres in my county that weren't destroyed by hail. I was hoping to break 250 average but I think that's a little too optimistic. It should be close though. Could still be ZERO. Its never in the bin until its in the bin.

IMG_4423.JPGIMG_4425.JPGIMG_4426.JPGIMG_4430.JPGIMG_4432.JPG

Nice lookin crops. Hope you finish strong. We are picking sweet corn today in between cleaning up limbs, and the patch at this farm got leveled pretty well by the big wind. There's more green snap in there than I thought. Going to need to fly a drone over it and hopefully discover that other varieties took it better than the 1 on the outside. Walking in a ways, they seem to have. Beans are anyones guess. I'd say if we catch 2" in Aug, they might have a shot at 80. 1" should get 70. No more rain would be 60 tops.

20200813_123000.jpg

National corn crop plummeted in the weekly ratings. 5% decline in good to excellent corn ratings is highly unusual for one week. Beans down 3%. Prices as strong as they have been for some time, but they still suck. This hot weather the last 5 days or so is nuking the crops at the finish line. There is corn around here that is just plain out of gas and is now giving up. Still pretty solid crop here, but not having that BIG crop finish. Kernel depth and bean size is getting beat up by the heat. You can tell guys definitely cut back on the fertilizer around here this year. Harvest is gonna be extremely early for corn this year. I expect silage chopping to start here by the weekend.

Capture.PNGCaptured.PNG

Things are changing FAST around here. The heat last week took a noticeable toll on some of the neighborhood crops. My neighbors beans has some SDS showing up in them, and they have started turning color. I put a seed treatment on mine to prevent SDS with the early planting we had this season. The neighbor told me he planted naked seed and an earlier bean. We have caught several rains lately and have enough to finish the crop. I should have 104 day corn planted 4/23 fully matured (black layer) by 9/20. If I had known I would have planted 112 day corn. The corn and beans on my proving ground looks PHENOMENAL. I like to experiment here. The corn looks like it should make 260-275 BPA. Its going to be fun watching 30,000 of these ears feed into the combine. Beans are podded like crazy in the good ground but definetly got hurt on the hills this season to make the monster I was hoping for. Still not in the bin yet.....

IMG_4707.JPGIMG_4715.JPGIMG_4716.JPG

I snapped this picture yesterday in the proving ground. Things are changing fast. We are 7-10 days from black layer (full maturity) on the corn crop around here. These ears in this spot are coming in at about 450 grams each (15.87 oz or .99lb)!!!! The whole field isnt near that good but my estimate yesterday landed me at 260-270 bushels per acre again for the proving ground. That is phenomenal corn for these parts.

IMG_0003.JPGIMG_0011.JPG

This picture was snapped in some of my NO TILL corn. Last year it was mainly weeds, water and flooded soybeans. It is a peat ground that floods easily from the county drainage ditch. This was only the second year in the last 10 that it did not flood into the field. I no tilled right into last years mess. I only added 46lb of nitrogen total. Its a weed filled mess down there. Chemicals seem to really bomb in that peat ground and frankly I am sick of spending much money on it so I dont try at all down there. I have about $225/ acre rent and storage, $80/acre seed, $15/acre planting it, $35/acre spraying, $20/acre fertilizer. It looks like that corn will easily make 225 this year if nothing happens between now and harvest, and its about damn time. Not too bad for my first no-till corn. Its a 97 day corn planted one day after my 104 day corn and it is approximately 2 weeks behind the 104 day stuff. Some of my neighbors will be doing beans within 10 days. Mine are still very green.

IMG_0002.JPG

I’m guessing corn in my area (Pope & Swift Counties, MN) @ 200-220 Bushel range?

Western Iowa will exceed that.

Attachments

• 0D04B95F-DB87-423C-93DD-F574DD5239D5.jpeg
    0D04B95F-DB87-423C-93DD-F574DD5239D5.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 18C0DE71-4AD6-4679-BD39-7F62A2FB6BB5.jpeg
    18C0DE71-4AD6-4679-BD39-7F62A2FB6BB5.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 16
Harvest States Savage (27 cents trucking per bushel for me to get them there)

Bean prices up sharply over the last month. I sold about 20% of my anticipated crop about 4 weeks ago for $8.94. If its up like this yet tomorrow morning I am unloading another 20%. The national bean crop condition apparently flew off a cliff since August 1 from a major lack of rain. Big damage to the Iowa crop. Export demand has been excellent. Parts of MN and Dakotas were dinged by frost pretty good last week. If bean yields are excellent I should make good money at these prices. I'm selling all the beans this fall and keeping all the corn in the bins.

Capture.PNG

Hope the best for you Buck!

Well my post #51 jinxed us. As it turned out, we got no more August rain. We did however get ~ 4" in early Sept. How much will that help remains to be seen. Our beans were in the early moments of starting to turn, mostly still green but getting lime green. I sold the last of my old crop beans at 9.24 and haven't contracted any new crop yet. I'll probably follow Buck's lead and get a sale on the books.

My soybeans just dont want to give up. I planted them the last few days of April, which is very early for us. They were sprayed with a fungicide which will usually keep them alive longer than the competition. I snapped these pictures this afternoon on the proving ground. They are really loaded up with pods. Lots of big clusters on top too. Those top clusters and seed size are where all the big yield gets made. Asgrow 20x9 soybean planted at 102,500 population I believe. I plant thinner then anyone I know and they branch like hell.

IMG_0207.JPGIMG_0208.JPGIMG_0209.JPGIMG_0210.JPGIMG_0215.JPG