2016 NUT/ SEED EXCHANGE

First try ever! I've got several sites selected based on reading, but I haven't read that particular thread yet. I'll get through it soon and possible amend my plans.

One question guys: will critters get unprotected seeds, and browse the seedlings? (I guess I have two questions)

I figure a seed is a seed and though it may not be the normal critters, mice, rodents and lord knows what may dig them up. I have NEVER seen pawpaw browsed, but I live in a low deer, ag rich area....so that may have something to do with it.

Because they are understory plants - the amount of sun they get can influence them - more sun isn't always better. Do grow fine while they are younger in broken sun and then they seem to fruit as they reach more sunlight. Mine did just fine in a fairly closed canopy, but started to fruit more once the logging was done....however I have some in full sun and they seem healthy but never seem to fruit.

I have had some mice damage paw paw seeds seeds planted outside. I used to use a cedar shingle on the south side of the young seedlings for shade. Mine did fine for years until the paw paw leaf rollers moved in. They will completely defoliate the trees and then start on the small twigs. My best fruiting tree was a seedling of Overlease that I grafted 1/2 way up to the actual Overlease and then never pruned off the under stock. I suspect that made pollination more sure.

If there is anyone on here in Michigan, I'm interested in pretty much all types wild sourced shrub/wildflower seed. I don't have much to offer in exchange other than potentially cuttings and scions later this winter.

I still have 6 boxes of Sawtooth acorns I could send out. About 130 in each box. Harvested zone 7b in northeast Texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will have a pretty decent quantity of an asian persimmon. I have been watching this grove of trees for several years now, they are always reliable and have a VERY long, steady dropping season. Last year they dropped fruit from bow season til thanksgiving. They are similar in size and shape to our native persimmon but they definitely have a sweeter taste. It seems that every tree in this grove produces fruit, even the volunteer trees around the edges, so I'm guessing this variety doesn't have male/females like our native persimmons. Our local persimmons seem to be very susceptible to a blight which kills them from the top down, this does not seem to be affecting any of these asian persimmons.

I will have.....
live oaks galore
white oaks
sawtooth (early and late drop)
shumard (becoming one of my favorites for deer b/c of the LONG drop times as well as large nut)

I'm looking for....
Swamp White Oak
Swamp Chestnut Oak
Chestnuts (chinese and hybrid/dunstan type)
Bur Oaks

I'm open for trades or outright purchase. I don't mind paying a little (reasonable fee) for the stuff I'm looking for. I'm planting on our place as well as a friends place, as well as some in pots this year so I really would like several hundred of each variety.
I have chestnut oaks on my property, not sure what swamp chestnut oaks are.

Chinese Chestnut business has been great this fall. I shipped 26 orders today. The total to date is 120 orders.

That tallies up to 7,170 chestnuts - some doubles and two huge orders.

Sort of tired of counting.

View attachment 10954

Thanks for reading this post.
Thanks for your contribution!

Not to kill the party but most asians I have tried are zone 7 and I have yet to get one to survive more than a couple yrs. It seems like they slowly die from winter kill and I am in North Central Oklahoma (zone 7). If these will survive I would like some seed though. Maybe this is the one that will make it. How much for 30 asian seeds?

I would agree with you. I planted 10 Fuyu persimmons in 2012 in North MS. They grew fine for a couple years but after two hard winters I'm now down to 2 trees. It's not a complete loss since I'm able to use the rootstock for grafting. Zone 7 for Fuyu persimmons is pushing it if you have a cold winter.

Last edited:
Any apples that grow close to seed would be awesome if anyone has any.

Ok, I am about to be gone for work for 2 weeks, now that the Chinkapin are JUST starting to drop.... But, I was able to get a box full while at my son's baseball game last night. If anyone wants them, I'll send them out for $6.80 to cover the shipping.

Chinkapin Oak (Quercus muehlenbergii)
Collected in Northeast Texas (not native region) in zone 7b
Float tested, and mild bleach washed.

EDIT: I also have several boxes of Sawtooth acorns, also collected in northeast Texas, zone 7b. same deal. I could have either in the mail tomorrow, or monday.

I just want to say I want to encourage anyone looking for something to reach out members here as these "swaps" are a great way to get your hands on something you may not otherwise have access to. You can ship a decent number of acorns/seeds across the country for $7 thru a USPS small flat rate box. At that price nobody is going broke and nobody is getting rich either! I have completed a "swap" with Catscratch where he wanted some pawpaw and he sent me some sawtooth. I sent the pawpaw to him just because he wanted some......he offered some sawtooth in return. I wasn't "looking" for sawtooth, but I did some digging and decided to give them a shot. They will more than likely forever be known as catsratch oaks on my place if/when they take off. I may have a long lasting connection to a "stranger" in KS. I know I want to see how the pawpaw do for him and I am sure he wants to see my results as well. It's just another great way to build this community here. Some folks "fear" new things. Don't this is supper easy, and won't break the bank. Even if my acorns fail.....I'm out $7, but still made a Internet Habitat Friend in the process......so I still win!

I have chestnut oaks on my property, not sure what swamp chestnut oaks are.

Swamp chestnuts are a gold mine. Plain old chestnut not so much because the acorns are bitter. I have access to thousands of chestnut oaks but never offer them up because without a big tree rat population they can become a monoculture.

I wish the deer liked them, some are "yuge"
cbf7d9c6d5f40e51578f3bafa99956e8.jpg

Check out the bark on your trees.
Chestnut oak has deep groves like this.

9995cc464e7e05492444f8f827f4d04a.jpg

e8e43d0b1ae59cd3f1465f7840fff27c.jpg

Swamp chestnut oak has more of a scaly bark like this. Though the scale is sometimes not highly defined.

e90eae9cf5f6bf7e939d099af74c759d.jpg

cfeb86faf56e2a3c1966ff43d36b2f09.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have some seeds of wild apples I can hook you up with. I started some seeds from these wild trees this spring. My best ones are over 3 foot tall already. I am in Northern Nebraska let me know what ya thinking..

I'd be interested in some wild apple seeds. Anything you are looking for? I can try locate just about anything from Zone 4-5 over here in Eastern WI.

If there is anyone on here in Michigan, I'm interested in pretty much all types wild sourced shrub/wildflower seed. I don't have much to offer in exchange other than potentially cuttings and scions later this winter.

I am across the pond, in WI, but have access to lots of wildflower seeds from our native prairies at work and when I am out pheasant/grouse hunting.

I am collecting numerous paper lunch sacks every day, that I plan to spread on some property up in Northern WI....purple coneflower, prairie coneflower, goldenrod, blazingstar, asters, milkweed, bee balm, etc.

I can get red oak, eastern white oak, maybe burr oak, and most any wildflowers and some native grasses (although my id on these i limited) from eastern WI (Zone 5).

I can also get eastern white and Burr oaks from zone 4 in the next couple of weeks.

These are not in the quantities of some of the guys on here, but I certainly get enough to ship around.

I am looking for American Chestnuts, or other chestnuts.

I am looking for Swamp chestnut oak, Q michauxii, from northern stock provenance. I need them from as far north as possible since I will plant them at 45 N.

I'd be interested in some wild apple seeds. Anything you are looking for? I can try locate just about anything from Zone 4-5 over here in Eastern WI.
How many do ya want? I would be interested in any type of oak/hybrids maybe a few red oaks and actually any wildflower seed. Whatever ya think ya want to trade i'm ok with! let me know.

Life has been hectic, my normal collecting areas didn't have much of any acorn crop and didn't have time to search anywhere else. If anyone has any type of acorns from northern source, I would be interested in 50 or so. My daughters enjoy starting the trees and watching them grow. Hate to tell them I dropped the ball this year and miss the time with them next spring.

How many do ya want? I would be interested in any type of oak/hybrids maybe a few red oaks and actually any wildflower seed. Whatever ya think ya want to trade i'm ok with! let me know.

I can send you a priority box with a bunch of Red Oak acorns, and a paper bag of mixed wildflowers (wild bergamont, aster, goldenrod, blazingstar, rosinweed, joe pyeweed, purple coneflower, prairie coneflower, black-eyed susan, and probably some others...that's what I just picked yesterday). If you want specific wildflowers, I can collect those separate. I can get some grasses as well, little bluestem for sure, and then the ones used in WI CRP and Pheasant Forever habitat mixes (probably big bluestem, indiangrass, and some others).

I don't clean the seeds much, just try to pick them fairly clean. A lot of seed will fit in a small priority box.

I generally just collect in a large paper grocery bag, dry them a bit and mixed them around really well, and then spread them on the new site before winter.

As far as apple seeds, I'd need enough to make sure I had some germinate and then have a good chance of have some of those make it. What rates were you seeing with the ones you started?

Has anyone else noticed that this year's mast crop is pretty low? I have to check a lot of trees to find acorns.

Has anyone else noticed that this year's mast crop is pretty low? I have to check a lot of trees to find acorns.

It is spotty in our area. Some places trees are dropping well and in others there are little if any acorns. Should be a good year for hunting because of this.