All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What was one of the best additions to your farm?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
So far it looks like this year might be manageable with regard to work. So I am in the mood to add something to the farm if I can come up with a good idea. Last year we added the walk in cooler and after it was installed and in place a few months I don’t know how we did it without the cooler ha ha. So would have you added to your farm that was a good decision, or what are you thinking of adding? I posted here because the “projects” section does not seem to het a ton of use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A 1.75 acre pond with dock. I bought the place 9 years ago for mainly deer and turkey hunting, but it made sense to increase the "usability" by building a pond to fish and enjoy during the warm months. I had a good site to do it without hurting my deer hunting, but still drug my feet doing it due to I had to push out a number of nice oaks. Wife was on board so we did it last August.

Best "addition" I ever made to my place was building the "shooting houses". That may sound dumb, but regardless of what you call them I can't tell you how much more enjoyable the hunts in November and December have been with them. You are out of the driving wind and moisture, the kids can move around and even take a nap if needed and in the late season you can even stay pretty warm with a little help. They can also help you hunt with a buddy more easily as well. They also help you hide in plain sight so to speak. I use mine to cover large areas (because we gun hunt from them) where we don't have trees. As much as I love hunting from a tree.....when it's wet and windy and cold and miserable outside.....you really, really consider staying home....in that warm bed. Knowing you just have to get to your little place of refuge out there is great motivation to hunt when you otherwise would not.

Only other addition I can think of is a building. For your equipment and gear as well as for gutting and hanging deer. I have not added a building specifically for that, but I use my 2 1/2 car detached garage for that. It's nice to store your more expensive equipment inside or have it to work on stuff. We also bring the deer there to gut and the like as well. Just much easier to do with plenty of light, warm water not far away and being out of the elements if needed. I live on my place and the detached garage was originally built for my car and work shop.....as my habitat/hunting hobby grew the garage sort of got re-purposed. We also have a garage attached to the house for the vehicles, lawn mower and that sort of stuff. You can never have too much covered storage space!

A Walk Behind DR Brush Mower. Amazing tool for doing jobs that are hard to do or can't be done with a tractor, and the best exercise machine on the market.

steve,

Have you ever sharpened or changed the blades?

Mine seems to be not cutting as well as it should

bill

Box blinds for as Jbird said, comfort for various ages and weather climate control in bad weather conditions. Screens on food plots have made daytime use jump considerably. The screens are for deer not being able to see other deer as well as blocking view for entrance to and from stands, and prying eyes from other two legged predators from other properties.

steve,

Have you ever sharpened or changed the blades?

Mine seems to be not cutting as well as it should

bill

Bill, I never have changed the blades and may have sharpened them only one time in many years. Mine seems to cut really well for me.

My best addition to the farm was definitely Chuck. Even at 32 he's a source of free labor, medical treatment when I injure myself working and he's been known to bring lunch or cook out under the big white oak every now and then.
With his two new additions I see free labor for my foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Best addition to the farm was buying the neighbors 80. Put us up to 360ac. Also allowed us an alternate access route to stands

My best addition to the farm was definitely Chuck. Even at 32 he's a source of free labor, medical treatment when I injure myself working and he's been known to bring lunch or cook out under the big white oak every now and then.

If Chuck needs a vacation, send him up to work for me for a couple of weeks. I will only work him half as hard, which should be a good break for him!!!!!

Making our "deer camp" to my wife's likening ... she is my best partner and because she has been happy ... I can and have bought more acreage ... again and again ... :emoji_wink:

Making our "deer camp" to my wife's likening ... she is my best partner and because she has been happy ... I can and have bought more acreage ... again and again ... :emoji_wink:
10-4 to that. Mine has the green light for most things around the "cabin" but the garage, shed, and acreage is my turf. And because the kids love to go there too we all go as often as our schedule allows.

Full sets of treated lumber stairs to my elevated enclosed blinds. Myself and all my hunters are aging and everyone likes the ease of climbing the stairs to access the blinds as opposed to traditional ladders. Also the enclosed blinds themselves as those are the ones everyone wants to sit in during the late season in November, December and even January. Lastly, my pond because I can sit in the mobile home and watch it from the living room window.

Hands down "The Hut" was the best addition per $$ I've ever made to my farm.

We've been using it for 3 or 4 years now. Still no issues with critters (much to my amazement) and we simply don't get winded like we used to. So much so, that I have to remind myself not to get sloppy. I have no doubt deer "smell" us, but they just don't seem to care anymore.

http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/not-an-ozone-shed-redneck-ozone.7164/#post-136522

-John

And , therein lies the key.....

Learn this early on to ensure success

90% of the time, she's right,anyway......."yes,ma'am " is the correct answer......

bill

Redneck blind. Completely scent proof with the windows closed allowing us to hunt even when the wind is 100% wrong. My brother arrowed a 5 year old out of it on a plot with the wind blowing directly to the deer. And the best part of it for him is I paid for the blind, LOL.

I dont have a "farm", but my hunting land, started off as a woods, in the middle of a forest, nothing more. Every step has seemed to be huge improvements. First with the purchase, then adding a driveway, and campsite, a camper, then adding stands, things for the kids to do, trails, tree forts, basketball hoop, ect.. Then we purchased the neighbors land, added electricity, enclosed shooting houses, this year we are putting up the first building, a 40x50 garage with a live in quarters above it, in a couple years it will be a house. All of these seem huge at the time, but the biggest thing I plan on adding to my land is my wife and myself. In 3 years we are planning on moving there, and slowing down. We will be empty nesters, and looking forward to making life a little simpler, and relaxing on what we built together from scratch.

Now if the snow will finishing melting, and the frost in the ground would melt, I could start building!

A 1.75 acre pond with dock. I bought the place 9 years ago for mainly deer and turkey hunting, but it made sense to increase the "usability" by building a pond to fish and enjoy during the warm months. I had a good site to do it without hurting my deer hunting, but still drug my feet doing it due to I had to push out a number of nice oaks. Wife was on board so we did it last August.

Yep, I did the same thing, make it more of a family place than just a hunting place. So I can check that one off the bucket list.

Best "addition" I ever made to my place was building the "shooting houses". That may sound dumb, but regardless of what you call them I can't tell you how much more enjoyable the hunts in November and December have been with them. You are out of the driving wind and moisture, the kids can move around and even take a nap if needed and in the late season you can even stay pretty warm with a little help. They can also help you hunt with a buddy more easily as well. They also help you hide in plain sight so to speak. I use mine to cover large areas (because we gun hunt from them) where we don't have trees. As much as I love hunting from a tree.....when it's wet and windy and cold and miserable outside.....you really, really consider staying home....in that warm bed. Knowing you just have to get to your little place of refuge out there is great motivation to hunt when you otherwise would not.

Only other addition I can think of is a building. For your equipment and gear as well as for gutting and hanging deer. I have not added a building specifically for that, but I use my 2 1/2 car detached garage for that. It's nice to store your more expensive equipment inside or have it to work on stuff. We also bring the deer there to gut and the like as well. Just much easier to do with plenty of light, warm water not far away and being out of the elements if needed. I live on my place and the detached garage was originally built for my car and work shop.....as my habitat/hunting hobby grew the garage sort of got re-purposed. We also have a garage attached to the house for the vehicles, lawn mower and that sort of stuff. You can never have too much covered storage space!

I have not built my own shooting house. I have that on the list, but can’t really figure out where I want them. I have two Whitetail Properties blinds built on elevated platforms. They are a little too small for my liking. So I think the shooting house is in order.

As for buildings that is a great suggestion and I second it, but I have a pretty large building already and it was a great addition.

Yep, I have had a few Chucks - good ones are to find. They tend to get real jobs and mine were not free. Ha