Clearing Invasives project- How much, where, and what to plant

gjs4

5 year old buck +
So it appears there may be some EQUIP opportunity to clear invasive jungle off our property. The funds versus cost need to align, but I had some general asks for your opinions, intel and thoughts.

The basics are this is 75 ac, property, with about 40ish ac of this mess- BH, MFR, AO, BT, Winged Alanthus, Spicebush, bittersweet..... got it all. It is definitely one of the thicker properties around in otherwise closed canopy oak hill country. Not much ag around, and think our 4.5 of plots are it for non baitpile deer specific provided food. We are basically the only invasive choked one in the immediate area. Some native browse and larger trees but theyre minority. Currently the deer seem to use it as a pass through and food location.

The EQUIP go would be mechanically clear areas this year, spray everything next year and then spot spray the third year. The trees4" and bigger, and native pockets can stay. Brush piles arent loved and there are areas in the oak woods where I need to spray due to the inability for equipment to work in there. They said I can do it all, or as little as I want. Ill be honest and say when we bought it, I didnt know much about OH invasives, nor did I care that much. Now i believe theyre not helping me at all with regard to deer so this EQUIP offer is tempting but money math will be huge with this endeavor.

From a habitat standpoint, IF the funds work, how much percentage wise would you clear?
How about from an upsetting the deer cart standpoint?
(I have a plan/resource for drone or mist spraying but am respectful of the work that could be)

If you were doing this, how would you break the sections down? Begin in the interior or exterior of the property? Picture a (tall vertical) rectangle on its short side for the property shape.

The clearing guys are awesome. I have used them before and theyll leave me a plantable area. I pondered liming and broadcasting some sort of dispensable "seed"....it could be for food, quick cover, whatever deer-wise but the goal would be to improve soil health and suppress chit regen. Any suggestions?
It would be killed off next year with the spray and then I would be more about deer layout using native grasses, shrubs and plot/field.

I had to do a Forest Management plan first, then my FSI contract. The CAPFM pretty much paid for itself and really taught me a lot about my property and what species should be where on the property. Part of my forest stand improvement EQIP contract had invasive control. The other part was mid-story control. The main invasive I deal with are tree of heaven, royal paulownia, multi-flora rose, etc. Due to the timing, I was pretty much limited to basal bark treatment. The forester that did my FM plan, came out and marked what needed to be treated. I came behind him with the backpack sprayer. I enjoyed the process. It taught me a lot, and I got to learn my property very well. I would go with the FM plan first and go from there.

Thanks for your reply Ben.

I have a FMP from the state and actually have funds for another private party one. This clearing follows their course of action. I asked for more- they said "have at it". I got the contractor quote today.....just waiting for the EQUIP figure.

As of now i am leaning toward clearing half of the mess (~15ac) and in the middle. then maybe tackle the rest next year. I dont know....hence asking for the opinions.

I tried a mister/fogger last weekend with a bunch of the nasties already leafing out. Am curious to see how that goes as well. What was your sprayer mix?

Need to look up royal paulownia....

As of now i am leaning toward clearing half of the mess (~15ac) and in the middle. then maybe tackle the rest next year. I dont know....hence asking for the opinions.
If the deer are using it now, I would be tempted to do some now, and some later. But, if there isn't much use, then I'd do it all now.

If the deer are using it now, I would be tempted to do some now, and some later. But, if there isn't much use, then I'd do it all now.
Yeah- I think they pass through with the exception of some hidden motel kind of buck tending during breeding.

Yeah- I think they pass through with the exception of some hidden motel kind of buck tending during breeding.
I'd do it all then. It will just get you where you want to be faster.

I have a property in MN that has a heavy buckthorn problem. Have another property in SW WI that has a bush honeysuckle problem.

Controlling invasive species is something I don't personally have time for. That being said, I care about the ecosystem on my property as well as the functionality of the property for deer hunting (the primary reason for owning the land).
It is a wrestling match in my conscious between knowing they should be removed, the cost of doing so, being a steward of the land, and how it impacts the deer hunting. Cost sharing helps, but the idea that you'll eradicate them completely is far fetched and likely a life-long battle that you'll lose.

All that being said, here is what I have come up with for me personally. Buckthorn is nasty, nasty stuff. It serves no purpose and fights to even compete in the midstory. It serves no purpose for deer although I have seen them eat the seeds in the depths of a bad MN winter (turns their urine purple in the snow, very easy to identify). I vow to remove as much BT on my properties as possible, some of that has been done with cost share.
BH is not nearly as bad IMO. In this area it is mostly an under story plant due to frequent top killing from the cold. Deer will browse the green leaves at times and it provides excellent side cover. It can and will get extremely thick and choke out native plants in spots. Removal/control is easier than BT as well.

What I've done with BH is get cost share for removal before a timber harvest. Because my forestry plans call for a "reset" most of my harvests in BH infested land will be patch clear cuts, which is also good news for deer/hunting. It won't be total elimination of BH, just small 1-5 acre areas before a harvest. My goal is that between the cost share and harvest revenue, I'm able to break even on investment of the invasive control. I should come out a little bit ahead cost wise, but ultimately those clear cut areas will be great wildlife habitat as they "reset".

Controlling invasive species is something I don't personally have time for. That being said, I care about the ecosystem on my property as well as the functionality of the property for deer hunting (the primary reason for owning the land).
It is a wrestling match in my conscious between knowing they should be removed, the cost of doing so, being a steward of the land, and how it impacts the deer hunting. Cost sharing helps, but the idea that you'll eradicate them completely is far fetched and likely a life-long battle that you'll lose.

All that being said, here is what I have come up with for me personally. Buckthorn is nasty, nasty stuff. It serves no purpose and fights to even compete in the midstory. It serves no purpose for deer although I have seen them eat the seeds in the depths of a bad MN winter (turns their urine purple in the snow, very easy to identify). I vow to remove as much BT on my properties as possible, some of that has been done with cost share.
BH is not nearly as bad IMO. In this area it is mostly an under story plant due to frequent top killing from the cold. Deer will browse the green leaves at times and it provides excellent side cover. It can and will get extremely thick and choke out native plants in spots. Removal/control is easier than BT as well.

What I've done with BH is get cost share for removal before a timber harvest. Because my forestry plans call for a "reset" most of my harvests in BH infested land will be patch clear cuts, which is also good news for deer/hunting. It won't be total elimination of BH, just small 1-5 acre areas before a harvest. My goal is that between the cost share and harvest revenue, I'm able to break even on investment of the invasive control. I should come out a little bit ahead cost wise, but ultimately those clear cut areas will be great wildlife habitat as they "reset".
Same page on everything.

My BH is literally 15-20ft tall in areas with zero understory....could park your truck under it in spots.

I want to be a steward of the land but will also say without selfishness (and paying monthly) I want the best deer hunting I can have. In southern Ohio it is more of "which invasive concentration will you be battling" for any woods thats been cut in the last 20yrs (and some that havent). So i will be dealing with it somehow, somewhere. The BH areas have some cover....and deer traffic passing through. The Privet (which i didnt fear enough) coupled w MFRose are actually too thick for the deer. So the mindset as of now will be clear the BH "woods" and poke trails and hit the quick win areas of the privet (knowing i will be using those for spraying access going forward). The spice bush monoculture in areas seems easier to meander through.

Maybe one day this place will be fun...or even more fun than work...maybe.....

Same page on everything.

My BH is literally 15-20ft tall in areas with zero understory....could park your truck under it in spots.

I want to be a steward of the land but will also say without selfishness (and paying monthly) I want the best deer hunting I can have. In southern Ohio it is more of "which invasive concentration will you be battling" for any woods thats been cut in the last 20yrs (and some that havent). So i will be dealing with it somehow, somewhere. The BH areas have some cover....and deer traffic passing through. The Privet (which i didnt fear enough) coupled w MFRose are actually too thick for the deer. So the mindset as of now will be clear the BH "woods" and poke trails and hit the quick win areas of the privet (knowing i will be using those for spraying access going forward). The spice bush monoculture in areas seems easier to meander through.

Maybe one day this place will be fun...or even more fun than work...maybe.....

On the Buckthorn, go after the largest trees first. They are the heavy seed producers that the birds eat and then disperse. I fill used dish soap bottles with a mix of 3:1 diesel & Triclopyr as mentioned above. Just squirt a ring around the base of the tree trunk.

Getting to the seed producers even before the work starts will help. Now is a good time to start. I carry a couple bottles of the mix in my UTV when I am out and zap AO & BH when I am out and about year round. It's a never ending task.

I felt like my wife yesterday...... Had the "habitat shopping cart" filled with brush to be cleared, then pulled the EQUP checkbook out it to see the balance from the DNR ......and now need to decide what to leave on the shelf at the register before I go broke cashing out.

I should change the name of this place to Roller Coaster Acres. Things have changed.....

I have a mulcher contractor on ready to go and am waiting for the official paper to re-review things before the action happens.

16 acres mechanically cleared about 2 more I need to spray. Its amazing how my well caffeinated type A personality feet have gotten cold and still imagining a quarter of the property open other than big trees. A fella starts to question if invasive plants are "that bad" when thinking through how naked this area will be.

Two big long game plans to tackle. How to keep this chit at bay for good with a worthy replacement, and what & where for those replacements to make this a premier critter property. I have burned my eyes out staring at OnX. to arrive at the conclusion it may come together better with actual eyes and boots on the ground after its open due to details with topography, trees remaining, sunlight, etc. My preplanning engineer mind hates that approach though. as I find comfort in a plan to work from. Aspects like tree seeds, native shrub whips, and SG are going to be players in the game. The deer habitat planners inundation of theories (DOC, too much food, too big of bedding) are where the plan progress gets derailed....as well as my impatience with knowing things will be slow to grow and hunt for a couple years.

Area in the yellow circle is either open or will be other than trees 6" or bigger. Residential to the east, old Christmas tree farm west, big oak laden woods ridges to the north (and a little to the south before residential)...no ag to speak of.

Attachments

• CLEAR24 General.png
    CLEAR24 General.png
    751.6 KB · Views: 4