High fence deer farm review

NWWI

5 year old buck +
I love to read Google reviews on things. This is one for a high fence deer farm “hunting” trip. Sounded like a good time!

I made a reservation for my wife and I in January for a "hunt getaway" for October of last year and throughout the correspondence I realized the now owner was still advertising the old owner and did not lead on until brought to his attention that something was not right. He assured me it would be the hunt of a lifetime and that my wife and I would be the only group hunting which was my number one concern so I booked the hunt and asked what days in October would be best for his schedule so I could book the flight, rental car, etc. He gave me the days that would work and I booked the flight, etc. Once we arrived ten months later in October on the days he requested I realized we were DOUBLE BOOKED with a guy that ended up staying in the lodge with my wife and I who seemed nice enough but was about 300+ LBS a big burly man. Needless to say I was really upset and called the owner (living next door) voicing my concern that first evening that I was not comfortable leaving my wife (who was just wanting to get away to relax and not hunt) alone with a stranger while I was out hunting so I did not hunt that next morning. The guy that was double booked did not leave until late afternoon the next day so I did not hunt that evening either. I did not get to hunt until the morning of the next day and felt rushed to harvest a deer. I did get a deer but not the one I truly wanted because again I was in rush mode do to what the owner subjected us to. The owner said that part of the hunt was scoring the deer which I had to keep reminding and requesting for weeks after my return home, when I received the score it looked odd enough for me to have it looked at by a legit scorer who verified it was made up. It amazes me when people will step over dollars to make cents, the place was nice and the owners family where very nice (even the owner) but I feel he purposely double booked our stay for revenue purposes so it was a miserable hunt due to his inability to be honest and his lack of integrity. We would have booked at least one hunt a year with him but will not because of our experience. Please, beware, no matter how much research you do this can happen and it is unfortunate. My wife and I have moved on to better hunts we just want folks to know.

Poor fella.... ☹️

Hard to find a good guided hunt without breaking the bank(unless you know someone). I looked into one of those type hunts about 20 years ago and just decided I'm not the right kind of person for that. Haven't given it a second thought since. That's just me. I like to hunt on my own property and get a feeling of accomplishment when there is success. Not a fish in the barrel kind of guy. TO EACH HIS OWN.

Im just happy to hunt where i do.

I hear alot of excitement, alot of gear bought, then hear so-so outcomes no matter what happened. Ususlly 4 or 5 guys go on hunts like that ftom work each year.

I hunt where i know, i travel to fish.

I am thinking we just need to get a hold of @Baker and have him guide us. Hell, I would be content sitting in a stand, without a gun and just watching, taking pictures of the deer.

Is he afraid his wife will cheat? That sounds like a weird relationship.

Is he afraid his wife will cheat? That sounds like a weird relationship.
Haha. Probably more afraid of rape. So did the guy show his trophy deer? Or say the score? Assume it's a case where the price dictates the score.

Buddy went to one of those ridiculous high fence places once for something. Wasn’t hunting. But said the guys there were all dressed head to toe in Sitka gear like it damn mattered! It explodes my brain to think people can confuse that with hunting and actually take it seriously

Buddy went to one of those ridiculous high fence places once for something. Wasn’t hunting. But said the guys there were all dressed head to toe in Sitka gear like it damn mattered! It explodes my brain to think people can confuse that with hunting and actually take it seriously
I don't even know what Sitka is. Obviously heard of it. Is it just very comfortable, warm, stylish clothing? What makes a guy say, "I need those Sitka bibs"

Anyone remember that white toupee wearing doctor in Ohio a few yrs ago who shot the 300" bleach white nontyp and tried to pass it off as legit? Story cracked me up.

I don't even know what Sitka is. Obviously heard of it. Is it just very comfortable, warm, stylish clothing? What makes a guy say, "I need those Sitka bibs"

Anyone remember that white toupee wearing doctor in Ohio a few yrs ago who shot the 300" bleach white nontyp and tried to pass it off as legit? Story cracked me up.

Sitka and Kuiu are high performance clothes for guys that chase elk, goats, etc. in the mountains. I used some of both on my moose hunts, great quality and performs well for stalking big animals.

This guy is wearing them for his trophy pic after walking out to the heated stand over looking the baited field and "choosing" his trophy in the field at about 3 in the afternoon.

I am thinking we just need to get a hold of @Baker and have him guide us. Hell, I would be content sitting in a stand, without a gun and just watching, taking pictures of the deer.
One of my favorite things is guiding folks that ' get it' when they see a fully functioning top end deer herd. Most of my inner circle of hunters rarely shoot anything[ including myself] Delighted just to be a witness.

Couple of options to prime time....neither of which includes sitting in a stand.
1) About halloween day in La. start at daylight temps in the 40's, light wind then go rattling. What a blast! My favorite way to hunt the farm. Generally rattle in 10-15 bucks on a good morning never staying in one place more than 30 mins. Yep, game fenced. Nope, I don't have any sitka gear. Key is to know how to move amongst deer. Yep the deer are crazy wild, but sex has made the most wary act stupid.

2) Sometime between Dec 15 and Christmas, pick a day with temp hovering between 40-50 degrees, 10-15 mph north wind hunt the El Gato pasture in Northern Mexico. We have 4 pastures but E.G. is the best. as I've been managing it since 1996. Here's how it works. With a tailgate feeder, put about 400 lbs of corn spread over miles on about 1500-2000 acres all in strategic spots. There are roads where you corn, and roads you drive with no corn so you don't spook the deer. Then go puttering around slowly taking the vast visa in. Before you get to an intersection, get out sneak up and look at what might be a few hundred yards down the road on the corn.If nothing interesting keep slowly moving. If something sweet, grab camera and binocs and using the brush as cover sneak up on the deer. Says easy does hard. But...with practice it can be done. Expect to see 20-40 bucks a day with a decent spattering between 170-200. May not be for everyone but what a hoot! Along with the deer see a constant array of javelina, bob whites, blue quail, hundreds of doves, the occasional rattle snake or blue indigo, ducks, geese, hundreds of sand hill cranes, coyotes, bobcats,.....and the list goes on. Africa west.

And yep, some pastures game fenced some not. But camo won't make any difference. Hunting skills will. Only joyous people allowed.

You had me all in there right up until you mentioned the occasional rattlesnake!!!!! I’ve never been but but had my run ins. Those down in the South West are big. LOL. Remembering being turned around in the dark in a pasture in SW Texas and all I heard was rattling for about 2 hours before I found the truck. I hate snakes. Maybe if I saw a 200” I’d get over it though. Hmmm.

Haha. Probably more afraid of rape.

Sweet jumpin Jehosephat. I hope there was a legitimate reason for suspecting that guy of being a rapist. Otherwise, our storyteller is a real piece of garbage for suspecting a random man at a hunting club of being a rapist. Is there any insight here?

Sitka is very quality made hunting clothing, the price is plenty high. My boys both wear it but they elk, mulie, antelope hunt and fish all over out west. Sizes also run smaller so need to order a size up. Sitka is not my thing I don't have the need for it.

I am not a fan of HF hunts at all, great way to spread CWD.