What three things would you like to add to your farm?

1) Cabin
2) Hinge more of our sanctuary
3) Box Blinds

1. A bridge. A creek runs diagonally through my property NE to SW basically cutting it in half. My home and barn are on the west side and east side access is a pain. I have to drive about a mile on a paved road and then 1/4 mile through a neighbor and two gates to get to the east side. Luckily, with 320 acres and living 350 miles from the farm I have more to do than I can even come close to accomplishing on the place and the last four years, other than basic road maintenance and food plots, I have simply focused most of my habitat work and hunting on the west side. I am a fifth generation owner of the place and none of my predecessors have ever successfully bridged the creek, and they all tried.While dredging for Indian artifacts in the creek a few years ago we found either Great-Great or Great Grandpas attempt.Rough cut planks hand augered with peg fasteners. It can be done but its gonna be money money money, I figure $10,000 bare minimum.

2. Topography. 80% of my property is very flat and poorly drained although I do have a large hill in the SE portions of the place with the highest elevation in the county. My south neighbors place is very hilly with a lot of ridges and drains and although his property is smaller than mine it seems twice the size. The turkeys definitely prefer his terrain and during rut the bucks seem to prefer it based on rubs/scrapes and such. No fix for this unless the 40 acres to my east ever comes up for sale.

3.A lake- Preferably big enough to have deep areas for fishing and designed so I could manipulate depth for a duck hole.Another problem that can be easily solved, just money money money.

There use to be a bridge thread on the qdm forum. It was an interesting discussion. What's the span of the creek and what kind of equipment/load are you trying to get across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. A bridge. A creek runs diagonally through my property NE to SW basically cutting it in half. My home and barn are on the west side and east side access is a pain. I have to drive about a mile on a paved road and then 1/4 mile through a neighbor and two gates to get to the east side. Luckily, with 320 acres and living 350 miles from the farm I have more to do than I can even come close to accomplishing on the place and the last four years, other than basic road maintenance and food plots, I have simply focused most of my habitat work and hunting on the west side. I am a fifth generation owner of the place and none of my predecessors have ever successfully bridged the creek, and they all tried.While dredging for Indian artifacts in the creek a few years ago we found either Great-Great or Great Grandpas attempt.Rough cut planks hand augered with peg fasteners. It can be done but its gonna be money money money, I figure $10,000 bare minimum.

I was one of the guys on the QDMA bridge thread.....I am a structural/bridge engineer. Maybe I was talking to you already about it.....I don't remember. Let me know if you need any opinions!

Conifer cover - I have Zero! My area has zero! A small pond/lake - I grew up fishing but my soul has very little clay and requires clay to be brought in in order to build ponds in my area. More cover - you can never have too much cover.

Something I have that everyone needs is a building - I have a large Morton building that we rent out but I have use of and I have a 2.5 car garage that is "mine" and not attached to the house. Storage, work space and the like is a great asset.

I will need a span of about 40-50 feet and would like to be able to get a pickup and 50 hp tractor with implements across it. One of the challenges is there is nowhere with high banks on both sides and either one side or the other floods when it gets up, which is generally a couple times a year. For it to stay put the bridge will have to be on pilings or pillars of some sort a couple feet above one bank and up to 6 feet above the other bank, with ramps of some sort back to ground level.

I'd love a cabin, I'm actually working on that and hope it works out.
My chestnut trees and fruit trees to be producing.
One of those time stopping devices so I can get more done when I'm up there. Anyone have a source for one let me know.

Less criminal activity so I could have a garage/shack. The local element breaks into every camp type structure.

Catscratch: Love the house! Love the large windows and the view.
Dsinwi: Being thankful is often forgotten, we should all be thankful for what we have. Thank YOU for reminding US.
BradB: I feel for you being 350 miles away!

To all who want a pond: It is a great thing to have. I built one for my wife's birthday (she loves to fish) and it really made the farm a year around retreat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only have one more addition for my farm: root cellar to store apples and fermenting cider

Shabin (shed/cabin)
Tractor
A little better trail system on the outer portion of the property

All will eventually happen but in due time.

The main thing I would like at my property is more time to be there.

I'd like to have both soft and hard mast at each property, instead of just one or the other. Working on that in recent years.

A pole barn or storage shed at the centrally located property, so we spend less time moving stuff around to get work done.

1. Cabin or r/v.
2. Lake
3. Access to my northern most 40 acres

1. More deer
2. More hours to work on my property
3. More high ground

1. More cover
2. I like the covered porch idea. That would be nice.
3. A mud room off the mud room but not attached with a ozone generator to ozone clothes but not make the house toxic.

I'm actually thinking really hard about #3

I'd like to add more land if it were feasible. We own just under 400 acres. When I consider neighboring properties that don't allow hunting (our sanctuary) and those where we have some influence and which have some harvest restraint, it totals about 800 acres. This is really on the ratty edge for having the scale necessary to achieve measureable results in herd quality (as measured by body weight and antler size).

Given the number of LLC members, we need a way to better control hunting pressure. So far, we have not come up with anything folks can agree on.

We have lots of creeks which is really great, but I would love to add a large pond or small lake.

Thanks,

jack

Screen along the road and a tractor with implements.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'd like to add more land if it were feasible. We own just under 400 acres. When I consider neighboring properties that don't allow hunting (our sanctuary) and those where we have some influence and which have some harvest restraint, it totals about 800 acres. This is really on the ratty edge for having the scale necessary to achieve measureable results in herd quality (as measured by body weight and antler size).

Given the number of LLC members, we need a way to better control hunting pressure. So far, we have not come up with anything folks can agree on.

We have lots of creeks which is really great, but I would love to add a large pond or small lake.

Thanks,

jack

Where are you Jack, I would be happy to come down and try to broker a deal with the LLC members regarding an agreement :)

Where are you Jack, I would be happy to come down and try to broker a deal with the LLC members regarding an agreement :)

I'm in central VA, but we all know each other very well and no brokering is needed. Any time you have multiple folks, it comes down to balancing everyone's desires. This is not a case of uninformed folks. We all understand consequence of our choices.

Thanks,

Jack

The number one thing I would like to add on my land is me.

A house, and that is in our 5 year plan. Just need to get the kids a little less dependent on us, and pay off a few more bills.
A new shed will be added a couple years after the house.
I would also like less predators, aka wolves and bears.

1. About 300 stumps removed, or some kind of machine that can efficiently grind them down!

2. fruit trees of any kind that will survive

3. a compact tractor with a few key implements