What three things would you like to add to your farm?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I am wondering what I might add to the farm to make it more enjoyable. Are there three things you would like to add to your farm or three things you added that you don't think you could do without at this point?

I will put in my two cents later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does more land count? Are we talking habitat stuff we have added or tools/equipment/facilities type stuff?

Last edited:
Fruit trees, apples or pears. Planted some American plums this spring. What didn't get flooded is doing quite well. More I'm out in western Kansas is mostly Aglen so just wanting to add some soft mass fruit trees to the mix.

1. Electricity
2. A little cabin to just put some time in and chill.
2a. A fire pit at the cabin
2b. Well Water
3. An RC truck track for the electric traxxas remote control trucks my brothers and I drive. We don't do it enough anymore and I miss our old track. I might do it anyway for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does more lane count? Are we talking habitat stuff we have added or tools/equipment/facilities type stuff?

Not really talking more land think everyone wants that no matter how much you have :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A 2.5 acre lake has been thought about for a couple of years now. One drawback is I would lose a valley of large oaks that block the view to the back of my land. Have a lot of angst on that.

But a lake would add a lot more quality recreation time to the land besides hunting deer.

oh, and a shouse and more brush

Last edited:
Established screening along the property lines in a few spots

Better pH and organic matter in MOST places

More mature mast trees.....apple, pear, persimmon, oaks, chestnut, ect.

AND a lake too!!

Cabin, lake, well/electric

1) A house
2) I wish I would have known then what I know now. I've spent 10 years buying the "next bigger sized anything". I probably have bought 5 disks alone. Each one bigger than the last. Would have saved a lot of money buying a big one first :)
3) No rocks. My farm "Big Rock" is loaded with them (more than you can probably imagine). Life would be a whole lot easier without rocks everywhere.

A really nice garage/shop/butchershop/cooler/cold cellar/brewery.
A trail in the woods along the boundary
Screening along the road

I really want a 300 ft zip line that goes from our trailer/cabin across our lake.
04590818dcb8c74bb6b854f3034596c4.jpg

1) A few acres of fishing hole right down the hill from the house.
2) Whoever said better and/or bigger equipment is spot on. Takes a little more patience, planning, discipline, and saving but yeah...agree 100%. If I would have known then what I know now...
3) Neighborly relationships. Start on Day 1 and make the commitment; ain't always in dollars and cents but a real good investment nonetheless.

Cabin, pond, and my own tractor. I bought a camper last year. It worked out well. I parked it at my in-laws pond and we had great time. Now with 2 little ones there is not enough room for hunters and family. Thank gosh grandma wants the kids staying with her when we visit.

1) A small 24x36 shop
2) A 3 sided implement shed
3) A smokehouse

1. A garage or shed to store equipment. Large enough to store my boat and lawn equipment from my home in the winter time. That would sure free up shop space at home for woodworking and tinkering projects. I'll be working on an area close to the cabin to clear space for that this fall. Going to need some fill for it also.
2. I have 2 small ponds on my land now but I would like to expand one of them. Attract some ducks and maybe stock some fish in it. I recently learned my neighbor has an old backhoe that is in working order. Perhaps I should approach him on the possibility.
3. More area for food plots. I suppose that could fall under the category of more land however I'm not so sure I want more land, just larger food plots. If I can accomplish number 2 I think I might be able to dry up some of the low ground to establish plots or even a thermal bedding area.

I will say I am very thankful for what I do have now. It's been a life long dream of mine to have some land and a cabin. I've never wanted anything real big or fancy and this place fits the bill perfectly. I have electricity, running water, hot shower, flush toilet and a warm dry place to lay my head at the end of a long cold day.

1. More "sanctuary" cover.
2. My next house.
3. A fishing pond.

I guess I didn't actually give three things...
1. Zip line over the water - fun summer activity
2. I would love to have a cabin versus the trailer. Its a drag closing up shop every weekend to prevent freezing of pipes. It's in the long term plans
3. I wish our place could get off generator power. I have the harbor frieght quiet generator but it cannot last a full night of running heat. I somethings wonder if we alert deer due to the rumble, even though we have it inside the barn away from camp. The barn muffles the noise but not completely.

Pretty blessed with what we have down there.

Fishing hole down from the house... check.
3f4417569b968fac06c01aa570beff3e.jpg

Foodplots... check.
8099d120f08a6fee2286263681642e25.jpg

Hard mast and cover... check.
f184f722c474a344076242a92fdb7d8c.jpg

Soft mast trees planted... check.
64fba306508b4a76e377a343b6f9ce84.jpg

Nice big shop to work out of and store/protect equipment... no check!
I hate not having a shop but will get it done someday.
53166e87c4bcbdc4eaec903868314d83.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Covered patio or porch. This has worked awesome. We are only there weekends so now we are not stuck inside on rainy days.
An egg or grill dome. I am 100% charcoal know, have not used the grill once this year.
What I need is a shooting house. Kids are getting old enough to go I need to make it enjoyable for them.

1. A bridge. A creek runs diagonally through my property NE to SW basically cutting it in half. My home and barn are on the west side and east side access is a pain. I have to drive about a mile on a paved road and then 1/4 mile through a neighbor and two gates to get to the east side. Luckily, with 320 acres and living 350 miles from the farm I have more to do than I can even come close to accomplishing on the place and the last four years, other than basic road maintenance and food plots, I have simply focused most of my habitat work and hunting on the west side. I am a fifth generation owner of the place and none of my predecessors have ever successfully bridged the creek, and they all tried.While dredging for Indian artifacts in the creek a few years ago we found either Great-Great or Great Grandpas attempt.Rough cut planks hand augered with peg fasteners. It can be done but its gonna be money money money, I figure $10,000 bare minimum.

2. Topography. 80% of my property is very flat and poorly drained although I do have a large hill in the SE portions of the place with the highest elevation in the county. My south neighbors place is very hilly with a lot of ridges and drains and although his property is smaller than mine it seems twice the size. The turkeys definitely prefer his terrain and during rut the bucks seem to prefer it based on rubs/scrapes and such. No fix for this unless the 40 acres to my east ever comes up for sale.

3.A lake- Preferably big enough to have deep areas for fishing and designed so I could manipulate depth for a duck hole.Another problem that can be easily solved, just money money money.