Flew a thermal drone at my place today.

One of the most fun things I've ever done with whitetails is helicopter game surveys. What a hoot. In the brush country you can see everything. There are stories from the past of folks using helicopters on big ranches to shoot bucks. Way more effective than a drone. Always a way to cheat the system. I don't do helicopter surveys anymore as I don't think they are worth the money. But confess I am very interested in playing with drones a bit. Always interested to see what I can learn.

Omicron, what are the details on that drone?

Just for a chuckle.... just back from ranch where we trapped and sold 100 does with a helicopter. What a rodeo. They use the helicopter like a cutting horse till the doe runs into the open where she is shot with a canon net. Ground crew quickly blindfolds, tie and puts deer in blackened trailer. Once trailer full the load is off to the buyer who is using the animals to improve his genetics. I expect all that will offend someone's ethics. But darned effective way to manage population on large scale.

You need one today @Baker

Can do add ons with extra batteries and a bigger screen but this will get you started. My buddies work 15-20k rigs say the price and tech has dropped to point that this 5500 dollar rig will give you all you need.

And if flying it solo (not to show clients) I would use these. Also records and such for future playback.

Kinda leaves an unsatisfying feeling huh. I’m one and done. Takes out any mystery and wonder. I think the more these get flown, the more we see how few good deer are on most landscapes. Maybe that will help but I have my doubts.
100%. It was like cheating on a test in HS (not that i ever did that). I got what i wanted but it didn't feel satisfying.

Another new to me with these are how freakinng loud they are. No deer reactions were noted but i heard it amongst the timbered hills a long ways off.

The pilot told me has done a ton of census and investigative flights following season, He said almost everyone was shocked at how few deer were present, bucks weren't found and how most bedding was in the wide open (mature) woods.

He could read my emotion on the lack of deer and immediately described the aspects above. My ground shows some sign via woodsmanship but that cams are what picked me up from a fairly bleak in-the-moment assessment I wouldve valued as something greater.

100%. It was like cheating on a test in HS (not that i ever did that). I got what i wanted but it didn't feel satisfying.

Another new to me with these are how freakinng loud they are. No deer reactions were noted but i heard it amongst the timbered hills a long ways off.

The pilot told me has done a ton of census and investigative flights following season, He said almost everyone was shocked at how few deer were present, bucks weren't found and how most bedding was in the wide open (mature) woods.

He could read my emotion on the lack of deer and immediately described the aspects above. My ground shows some sign via woodsmanship but that cams are what picked me up from a fairly bleak in-the-moment assessment I wouldve valued as something greater.
Same. One shooter spotted on 700 acres. That’s exactly what my cams have shown too. Only surprises were to the downside. Interesting to hear others were having the same reactions when flying their properties.

We did spook some deer with the drone but most didn’t pay it any attention.

Does the lack of deer truly bum you out, or just make you more geared up to improve your habitat?

I think if I got disappointed that easily I would give up everything I ever tried. Lucky for me, I tend to stick with a hobby until I feel I'm about 75% good at it, for whatever that means, and then I move on to the next thing. I'm not world class at anything, but I'm pretty damn good at a lot of things. I consider myself a beginner at this whole habitat thing, so I find it's very difficult to discourage me. I take all my failures as lessons. I guess I have to admit that I get disappointed when i waste money on something, but I couldn't even conceive of quitting something I haven't even slightly mastered. For me, the learning curve is the pleasure.

I think some of you might be using the drones the wrong way. The snapshot they give you of the deer on your property is just that, a snapshot. You probably need at least 8 of those over the course of the hunting season if you want to know how deer are using your property during the hunting season.

Any drone surveys conducted outside the hunting season are not giving you much information about what is there DURING the season. I would actually prefer if deer were somewhere else outside the season, as long as it was benefitting them. I don't think I have the resources to keep deer all year. I just want the best deer on my land in front of my stands during the hunting season. Outside of that, it's all bonus.

. I would actually prefer if deer were somewhere else outside the season, as long as it was benefitting them. I don't think I have the resources to keep deer all year. I just want the best deer on my land in front of my stands during the hunting season. Outside of that, it's all bonus.

Off subject, but last winter we had a record amount of snow, 3 ft plus on the ground most of the winter, deer would herd up on any plowed path, and be very hesitant to stray to far off of it. During the heavy snow, I plowed paths from the road, past my shop, to the wood boiler, then back to a wood yard, a couple hundred yards total, I would drop trees for them to eat on to the path I plowed, this just gathered more deer. Then as the winter went on, and spring showed up, they literally ate everything to the ground they could. Leaving my under story in rough shape. I am sure I help the deer through the winter, but it sure set my land back. On average last winter I had about 10 deer bedding on my 25 acres, every time I would cut trees, within minutes I had 30 deer. I would drop 3-5 trees a week, when I started the chain saw, the deer were standing there waiting for the trees to fall. I would literally have to chase them away so the trees wouldnt drop on them. The majority of the trees were large Aspen, and I suspect this spring I should have fresh shoots all over in the area. I also dropped a lot of Maple, so I assume I will also get some stump sprouts growing. This winter I have 1 regular doe, and 1 doe and 2 fawns that come through about 1 time a week. Hopefully the understory will recover this summer.

My interest in drones spawns from what I can learn. Like most I have preconceived notions about where the deer should be, how they relate to the habitat, when they are where and why, and a host of other ideas. I do some controlled burns each yr. Be interesting to see what the deer are doing during the burn and how long till they start utilizing the burns. From this what can I learn about habitat mgt., nutritional strategies, population mgt., natural mortality, and , again, a host of other things. Besides , it's fun to play with new toys.Also keen to see how drone footage can be employed in some neat videos . Time to start exploring the best drone for the job.

Kinda leaves an unsatisfying feeling huh. I’m one and done. Takes out any mystery and wonder. I think the more these get flown, the more we see how few good deer are on most landscapes. Maybe that will help but I have my doubts.
I almost think it would add more mystery and wonder. If your camera survey shows forty does, 18 fawns, and 20 bucks, and you know you have three shooters from game cam pics - and the drone only finds half those deer on your property and none of the big bucks - I would still be wondering - although on my place, I know where most of my deer come from or stay most of the time. I have a neighbor who owns 1200 acres and only allows his nephew full access - and me on 100 acres - bow only. This property is 2 mile long and 1 mile wide. The neighbor's nephew had three good bucks he was hunting. The nephew knows for a fact (because of neighbors game cam pics) - one of those bucks has been on at least five different neighbor's properties and the other two have been on at least four - that is in addition to his property. That is just what he knows. This is on ground with no area row crop, and tons of bedding cover - cover of all types. Does are thick on the 1200 acre neighbor's property since he does not allow them to be killed. The bucks have everything there they need - but they all routinely leave - not because they need to, because they want to.

To me, a drone flight only provides a snapshot in time as far as deer numbers and deer sex. I see the value to see where your deer are staying at certain times of the day and various seasons - but that would require owning a drone - for multiple flights. I consider a good crop of game cameras much more valuable for a deer inventory.

No reason not to get ahead of it. If you want to see what a hundred dollar drone and a little ingenuity look like, google drone grenade drops in Ukraine. Drones are now terrorizing battlefields. No one can hide day or night.
Obviously two different circumstances, but personal drones are already being used in ways we never dreamed of 5-10 years ago.

I don’t think the concern is drones will wipe out deer. It’s the individual nefarious act that could affect any one of us if an individual decides too. And right now 95% of those acts are legal. Not to mention the insane lack of privacy.
So it begins

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk