Congrats to the young man! And your plotting efforts as well.

With all things in your favor (i.e. Thatch levels and adequate rains) how would throw and mow work for Paul Knox blends? I assume the clover patches would work the best, what about the cereal grain mix and the brassicas only mix? Do they lend themselves well to throw and now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all things in your favor (i.e. Thatch levels and adequate rains) how would throw and mow work for Paul Knox blends? I assume the clover patches would work the best, what about the cereal grain mix and the brassicas only mix? Do they lend themselves well to throw and now?

I have been doing a throw and roll on the rye to brassicas for a couple years and it's worked good, this year I tried the cereal grain portion on a throw and mow and so far it has worked good.

The "Throw and Mow" plot is doing just what it was designed to do now that we have cold temps and snow on the ground. The deer are in excavator mode right now.

Bumping this back to the top as this is the only place, on this site, I've really detailed what I've done. I didn't two of the plots frost seeded with clover around the holidays, so the boys and I took advantage of President's Day weekend and headed to the Cabin. "Frost" seeded, without having to wear a coat, the two rye plots that did not get clover last fall. One got a BOB mix from PlotSpike, which did well last fall in the "first plot" and the "failed plot" got a bag of Trophy Clover from Antler King. Here's Stickey Joe ;) planting a bit of leftover clover seed in the "first plot". It's about 1ac and as close as I have to a destination plot.

The rye and clover look ready to take off in this one. Surprising, quite a bit of DER that was supposed to winter kill didn't as well as one turnip that still had green leaves! Be interesting to see how that all pans out.

Mom wasn't around so the boys got to try their hand at the hand saw and hatchet to do some hinge cutting on a SE facing slope adjacent to the top plot on the powerline ROW. Everyone returned home with all digits intact... That said, I could have duplicated that 2hrs of work in about 30mins with a chainsaw, but they'd not learn many lessons that way.

As far as habitat/plot work goes, I'm hoping to get 3 pears planted sometime this spring near the "first plot" as well as about a 1/4ac of expansion on that plot that will be largely sorghum, sunflowers, and millet to act as an edible screen. That plot's a 120yds from the county road, but more visible than I'd like. If/when funds allow I may consider putting in a michanthus screen. There are at least 2 maybe 4 more places I'd like to do some hinge cutting, but the kids were getting tired and bored. So, I made sure the trip wasn't all work!

I didn't get too many in plot pictures of the the plots in the ROW as I didn't want to disturb them too much during opening weekend of the gun season here in Hoosier-ville. But the "first plot" has filled in nicely!! Mostly rye, rape, clover with a sprinkle of some radish and turnips.

The plots in the ROW are getting used quite a bit. The "failure" plot rye finally got off the ground and is spotty, but growing enough to entice deer to come in for a nibble. First buck ever for this guy at 30yds in the rye!

Bumping this back to the top as this is the only place, on this site, I've really detailed what I've done. I didn't two of the plots frost seeded with clover around the holidays, so the boys and I took advantage of President's Day weekend and headed to the Cabin. "Frost" seeded, without having to wear a coat, the two rye plots that did not get clover last fall. One got a BOB mix from PlotSpike, which did well last fall in the "first plot" and the "failed plot" got a bag of Trophy Clover from Antler King. Here's Stickey Joe ;) planting a bit of leftover clover seed in the "first plot". It's about 1ac and as close as I have to a destination plot.

The rye and clover look ready to take off in this one. Surprising, quite a bit of DER that was supposed to winter kill didn't as well as one turnip that still had green leaves! Be interesting to see how that all pans out.

Mom wasn't around so the boys got to try their hand at the hand saw and hatchet to do some hinge cutting on a SE facing slope adjacent to the top plot on the powerline ROW. Everyone returned home with all digits intact... That said, I could have duplicated that 2hrs of work in about 30mins with a chainsaw, but they'd not learn many lessons that way.

As far as habitat/plot work goes, I'm hoping to get 3 pears planted sometime this spring near the "first plot" as well as about a 1/4ac of expansion on that plot that will be largely sorghum, sunflowers, and millet to act as an edible screen. That plot's a 120yds from the county road, but more visible than I'd like. If/when funds allow I may consider putting in a michanthus screen. There are at least 2 maybe 4 more places I'd like to do some hinge cutting, but the kids were getting tired and bored. So, I made sure the trip wasn't all work!

Looks like a great time with the kids, good to see you getting them involved with the outdoors!

Awesome! I'm hoping to do a throw and now this fall. We are about to seed a clover/chicory blend into the new plot. For this first seeding, we decided to till so we could take advantage of this unseasonably early spring without having to wait on the warm season grasses to come out of dormancy to gly.

Looks like fun!

great stuff,Pointer

thanks for posting

bill

Nice pointer. You should start up a land tour thread.

Nice pointer. You should start up a land tour thread.
I might give that a shot. However, no bigger than my place is and no more than I really do with it, it'd be a short tour... :D We do have fun.

Just checking in to see how everyone was doing with throw n mow. It was a really busy winter of blood tracking for me this year and I've really only participated on one forum recently. If anyone has any questions as we move into spring and summer, post them up and we'll get the conversation going again. Good luck and happy plotting.

Got out last weekend and did some frost seeding in Central Ohio. Had surgery on my knee a couple weeks back so the wife took over with the spreader for the day. Couldn't get to the seed store before they had closed so I picked up 12# of Plotspike clover and spread it over my 3/4 acre plot that was tilled(b4 I discovered the T&M method on this site) and planted with clover/radhish/winfred last fall. Used the Plotspike clover last year for frost seeding and it came up really well, so hoping it does the same this year. Assuming it comes up like last summer, I am just going to leave it as is with a solid summer clover plot that should hold well into bow season 2017.

Here's how it looked last June, with a bunch of ryegrass I had planted in year 1 of my plotting/no clue what I was doing stage. Planning on nuking with cleth this summer to try and get rid of some/all of the grass.
13255998_949596259987_2596044305280757107_n.jpg

13220815_949596225057_84156322618522379_n.jpg

And the wife doing her part last weekend:
17155225_10100139501924487_8725664367575121983_n.jpg

Just checking in to see how everyone was doing with throw n mow. It was a really busy winter of blood tracking for me this year and I've really only participated on one forum recently. If anyone has any questions as we move into spring and summer, post them up and we'll get the conversation going again. Good luck and happy plotting.

Wondered where you were hiding. Do you have a dog?
Let's hear the worst tracking story :).

I’ve got two tracking dogs now. The worst track of the year???? There was a lot of exciting ones and tuff ones but one of the worst ones was a buck this guy’s girlfriend blew the back leg off of. We tracked it for 1400+ yards with most of that being through a stand of young natural pine regen that was so thick with briars that at times I had to just turn around backwards, ball up in a little wad and bust my way through. Other times we had to just about get down on our hands and knees to crawl through. We finally found the deer in a small creek. It had gotten down in the creek bed and couldn’t get back out. It traveled down the creek for about 300 yards until it came to a blown down tree it couldn’t get around. That’s where we caught up to it and finished it off.

NzKmPVP.jpg

Here's one more pic of one we found. I just thought it was cool where we found this one. We tracked around 75 deer last year and recovered about half of them. A lot of deer we track aren't hurt that bad. About 1 out of every 2 are still alive.

QD58kj8.jpg

That's cool, thanks for sharing.
Hope it wasn't to cold. They both went for water.

Never seen a deer tracking dog work. Do they bark or do follow them with a Gps?