Most tracking dogs track silently and only bark if the deer is alive. We track off lead with a GPS collar (Garmin Alpha) but the dogs still work in close range if you train them and condition them to do so. Most of the time Otis is 30-75 yards in front of me.

Great name!
My last duck dog was Otis. AKC registered name "Otis UdaMan"
I miss that dog.

Your pics prove they really do head towards water. Do you find that deer with non-fatal wounds also head for water or no?

Your pics prove they really do head towards water. Do you find that deer with non-fatal wounds also head for water or no?

I don't have 1% of the tracking experience as crimson... but of all tracking I've helped with, 80% headed to or towards water if they went further than 600-700 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have 1% of the tracking experience as crimson... but of all tracking I've helped with, 80% headed to or towards water if they went further than 600-700 yards.

I couldn't agree more.

I would even say more than 200 yards and they head for water up in this country.

I've wondered though, are they going for water or going down hill? Not being a smart a$$, seriously?

My buck this year ran 100 yards nearly STRAIGHT up a steep hill. I though to my self "oh no, they never run up hill". But I could see blood pouring out both sides. He got to the top of the hill and piled up on the logging road. That was mighty nice of him. I drove the skidsteer right up to him and picked him up. Might be the only deer I've ever harvested that I didn't lift even 10 feet!

-John

Yep, they definitely have a tendency to head to water if they're injured. I think its due to two reasons. One is so they can wallow in the mud and pack their wound and the other is because they begin to feel hot and need to cool themselves. I've heard it's part of the dying process from something like a marginal gut wound. Also, deer will go any direction when wounded....uphill, downhill....it doesn't really matter.

This is one we were unable to recover. I’m pretty sure he backtracked himself for about 300 yards before we got there. We had blood for several hundred yards and then its like it just ended suddenly. The deer was eventually found a few weeks later in a pond in the exact opposite direction from the blood trail we were following.

0IEiT9u.jpg

^^^^^thats to bad. But can't say the guy didn't do everything he could. He called you.

Not actually throw and mow, but a frost seeding of red and crimson clover 2 weeks ago. Weather has cooperated with a handful of days with steady rains. This was turnips and radishes last fall, and will have winter rye broadcast into the clover in September.
628955b21f7aefc85e7b865c39b6172c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Not actually throw and mow, but a frost seeding of red and crimson clover 2 weeks ago. Weather has cooperated with a handful of days with steady rains. This was turnips and radishes last fall, and will have winter rye broadcast into the clover in September.
628955b21f7aefc85e7b865c39b6172c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Never grown Crimson clover. That seed looks big for clover. If you said beans I would believe it.

Never grown Crimson clover. That seed looks big for clover. If you said beans I would believe it.
Just an extreme closeup.

CNC, glad you're here. I used to be on aldeer but I sent a very professional, non-threatening email to Shaw (a moderator there) complaining about another member's posts and Shaw's reply back to me was belittling and derogatory. In other words, he said a thing or two to me that he would not have said to my face and well, nobody is going to talk to me that way behind a computer screen or to my face so I sent him my reply knowing full-well that I'd be kicked off aldeer, but that's ok. He knows how I feel. I'm a very nice guy but like any red-blooded man, speak to me with respect and I'll do likewise! :) I think Shaw has a problem as he was in a very well run hunting club in West Alabama and according to the members I know there, no one there liked Shaw, but whatever. He may be a friend of yours but that's how I feel about the matter.

So, here I am. Anyway, I have really enjoyed your postings about your planting method and I am going to attempt your method this fall. Here's my plan...

So I'll spray my food plot with gly (I want whatever is growing to be about waist tall, right?) and then I'll wait a week or two and while everything is still vertical, I will spread my seed and then, I'll mow my food plot pretty low and have a pretty good thatch on the ground and wait for rain.

How's that sound? Thanks for your help.

After reading cNc and D Gallow, I pretty much parked my tiller and have gone all throwNmow.

I am happy with results thus far.

In fall,I skip the gly spray as most weeds in east texas are warm season and aren't an issue

bill

After reading cNc and D Gallow, I pretty much parked my tiller and have gone all throwNmow.

I am happy with results thus far.

In fall,I skip the gly spray as most weeds in east texas are warm season and aren't an issue

bill

I'm north east of dallas, so I bet your tactics would work for me too. How late in the fall do you wait to let most of the growth go dormant? And how low are you mowing? I am doing a throw-n-mowing a plot this fall and skipping the GLY is something I had considered.

I plant the last week september/1st week october

This usually coincides with first major rain event of fall

I set mower"as high as possible" on first pass and slightly lower on second pass

i then follow with cultipacker. (I love this implement!)

bill

I would like to do some throw and mow planting in some areas, but I don't have a lot to mow. I have access to some bails of oats from last year. Can I use these to cover the seeds? Would like to do some buckwheat, oats, and possibly some clover. Will this work? I appreciate the help.

Peter

Peter
I don't think you want to cover the seed. You want to spray gly in the area you want to plant and kill the weeds and grass. Mow it and spread the seed in the thatch you created.

I would like to do some throw and mow planting in some areas, but I don't have a lot to mow. I have access to some bails of oats from last year. Can I use these to cover the seeds? Would like to do some buckwheat, oats, and possibly some clover. Will this work? I appreciate the help.

Peter
You can but you don't have too. Try to time your planting with a good rain and you will have good germination. I did this last year and it worked great.

Chuck

Peter
I don't think you want to cover the seed. You want to spray gly in the area you want to plant and kill the weeds and grass. Mow it and spread the seed in the thatch you created.

I believe CnC and others throw seed before mowing, which lets the thatch lay on top of the seed. Also, I think all the disturbance from the mowing (vibrations, wind from the blades etc...) helps work the seed closer to the soul than simply throwing would.

I believe CnC and others throw seed before mowing, which lets the thatch lay on top of the seed. Also, I think all the disturbance from the mowing (vibrations, wind from the blades etc...) helps work the seed closer to the soul than simply throwing would.

Bingo, that's exactly how it works!