You will be amazed at the simplicity........

bill

Anybody try a throw and mow with Soys? I'd like to plant soybeans again this year in a plot that was beans over seeded with rye in the fall. Maybe if I would double or triple mow the plot the tires would push more of the beans into the soil?

Anybody try a throw and mow with Soys? I'd like to plant soybeans again this year in a plot that was beans over seeded with rye in the fall. Maybe if I would double or triple mow the plot the tires would push more of the beans into the soil?

I did throw n mow with grocery store (kidney, pinto, black, black eyed peas, ect.) bean last yr. They germinated and grew well but got demolished before they were 6in tall.

I'm going to give it a shot then. We have relatively low deer numbers and usually have uneaten beans up until January.

I tried it with ag soybeans, cause they were so cheap($20/50lb). I had some come up, but it wasn't as good as with cowpeas because the seed is so much larger.

Soybeans will work as long as you have a good thick layer of thatch to cover them, much like peas, in my experience anyway.

My experience has been good with cereal grains and clover

Less with cowpeas

bill

Cowpea's grow very well with adequate thatch and moisture.pea growth 003.jpg

Will this method work if I start with buckwheat? I'm going to start this spring olamtong for the first time with straight buckwheat , then in late summer over seed with more bw, and some thing else ( on the fence with what the other something will be) . Then mow it down and rook it.
Will this work ? Anything I'm missing? I know you guys usually spray first but I was hoping to skip it this time. Any opinions on what to mix for overseeding?

Will this method work if I start with buckwheat? I'm going to start this spring olamtong for the first time with straight buckwheat , then in late summer over seed with more bw, and some thing else ( on the fence with what the other something will be) . Then mow it down and rook it.
Will this work ? Anything I'm missing? I know you guys usually spray first but I was hoping to skip it this time. Any opinions on what to mix for overseeding?
I did throw n mow buckwheat last spring and let it reseed itself all summer. It did well and kept the weeds down. In the fall I sprayed gly and broadcast; wheat, oats, chicory, red clover, ladino clover, turnips, and radishes. Great winter and spring crops so far.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sprayed gly this morning in two spots, spread buckwheat in one and sunflowers in the other, then it began sprinkling as I was about halfway done mowing. Sunflowers will need more than they're calling for, so we'll see if the heavy dew each morning helps.

They'll lay there til it rains good.

Sprayed gly this morning in two spots, spread buckwheat in one and sunflowers in the other, then it began sprinkling as I was about halfway done mowing. Sunflowers will need more than they're calling for, so we'll see if the heavy dew each morning helps.
It's early for buckwheat but you may get lucky this year. Many times we get a frost or two after Memorial Day weekend which is when I normally plant BW. Let us know how it turns out.

Do you spray and broadcast seed the same day? Seems like the spray would harm the seed?
I have a field full of corn stalks that were combined last fall. Think it would work to just spread buck wheat and millet and drag it?

Do you spray and broadcast seed the same day? Seems like the spray would harm the seed?
Yes I do. I spray first and broadcast seed later the same day. After seeding I spread fertilizer and drag.
I have a field full of corn stalks that were combined last fall. Think it would work to just spread buck wheat and millet and drag it?
Absolutely

It's early for buckwheat but you may get lucky this year. Many times we get a frost or two after Memorial Day weekend which is when I normally plant BW. Let us know how it turns out.
My 10 day forecast says 45 for the coldest night, and most of the lows in the mid 50's, so I went for it. A couple of days in the 80's too so soil temp will be rising quickly.

Buckwheat just went in the 20 foot wide space between my two rows of fruit trees, so not a big deal if i have to replant anyway.

Has anyone tried throw and mow sugar beets into mowed or rolled cereal rye?

Wow plenty of time for buckwheat it's only a 65 day crop.

Has anyone tried throw and mow sugar beets into mowed or rolled cereal rye?
I haven't done it before but I am going to try it this year. I added a couple lbs of beets to my brassica mix for July planting.