RIT- FWIW, I'm having what I consider good results just letting it go until Labor Day and then doing it again. First year I got a bunch of summer annual weeds, but it's gotten less each year. I just spread more rye/clover and roll it flat. IMO/E I wouldn't worry about releasing the clover. It does just fine in a situation like that.

This is how a new clover plot should look.
20180523_183749.jpg
Except it's really a flower bed under a poplar tree located in our front yard. I raked off about 2 inches of leaves this spring and there must have been a ton of clover seed in the bed. Lol
20180523_165852.jpg

RIT,
No need to mow the rye to release the clover. The clover will do fine under it. It will shade the clover during the hot dry periods this summer. I've got a few patches like that and will only mow if it gets weedy. If I do, rye is cheap, I'll broadcast some in the fall. But rye doesn't come up as well in established clover.

RIT,
No need to mow the rye to release the clover. The clover will do fine under it. It will shade the clover during the hot dry periods this summer. I've got a few patches like that and will only mow if it gets weedy. If I do, rye is cheap, I'll broadcast some in the fall. But rye doesn't come up as well in established clover.
I had some trouble getting my rye going late last year. I probably put it down too light. But I did a soil test that said I needed about 1500lbs of lime. I put down 500 and look what came up!

I want to plant buckwheat, clover and Egyptian wheat grass as a screen. Later in the year I will add more lime (twice) and knock down the buckwheat and overseeding with brassica and turnip.

Question... is this rye light enough to plant into? I think so. Just wanted a sounding board.
843d1b324ed2201fb68b47b281d7c47a.jpg
dc402581c67a1858c6264aafd379536a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hopefully some others chime in with thier opinion. But I think you'll be fine if it's not so lite that the weeds take over. Once the rye matures and ends it life cycle you should be good to go. If not spray it off.
Wish I took pictures. I planted my beans this year into rye and didn't even roll or crimp it. I just sprayed it and left it stand.

RIT,
I wonder if the part I highlighted is why I have less of a stand of rye this year. After two years of fall planting of rye + clover the clover has gotten pretty well established. These were taken a month ago.
Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

I have a small atv disc. Would a light discing (disc set straight) open up enough space to get more of the rye to come up?

We've had a cool, wet, late spring this year. After taking another look this weekend I may be happy enough with it to just keeping doing what I've been doing.

I wonder if the part I highlighted is why I have less of a stand of rye this year. After two years of fall planting of rye + clover the clover has gotten pretty well established. These were taken a month ago.

I have a small atv disc. Would a light discing (disc set straight) open up enough space to get more of the rye to come up?

We've had a cool, wet, late spring this year. After taking another look this weekend I may be happy enough with it to just keeping doing what I've been doing.

I used to overseed clover plots with wheat and had limited success. I got a Wood's seeder and now I use it to plant wheat into the existing clover plots. I set the disk blades medium aggressive. I have found that the light disking really increases wheat germination, and seems to really revive and stimulate clover growth.

Bill & Pointer:

My clover is rather thick in some spots. I think I will spray it in late August and start all over. I want as much WR as possible the deer really hit it hard from October until about April 15th. I can’t believe how well it came up. A lot of my WR is 5’ with seed heads already.

I added 2 more acres of plots this spring. I disced the field about a week ago and planted Spring Oats, triticale, buckwheat, clover, and 4010 peas.

I hope this grows well and then I’ll convert it to throw and mow in the fall. My fall mix in this plot will have the following:

Oats, winter wheat, triticale, radish, delar small burnet, bull birdsfoot trefoil, Balansa clover, red clover, and AWP. Quite the buffet but I have wanted to try a few of these for awhile.

I also frost seeded a quarter acre in a couple of clovers and chicory. There are 4 newely planted pear trees in this section. If nothing else there will be choices.

Those of you that have been doing this for awhile do you ever rotate WR into other plots? I am probably getting ahead of myself and should be more focused on soil building but damn is it fun.

Bill & Pointer:

My clover is rather thick in some spots. I think I will spray it in late August and start all over. I want as much WR as possible the deer really hit it hard from October until about April 15th. I can’t believe how well it came up. A lot of my WR is 5’ with seed heads already.

I added 2 more acres of plots this spring. I disced the field about a week ago and planted Spring Oats, triticale, buckwheat, clover, and 4010 peas.

I hope this grows well and then I’ll convert it to throw and mow in the fall. My fall mix in this plot will have the following:

Oats, winter wheat, triticale, radish, delar small burnet, bull birdsfoot trefoil, Balansa clover, red clover, and AWP. Quite the buffet but I have wanted to try a few of these for awhile.

I also frost seeded a quarter acre in a couple of clovers and chicory. There are 4 newely planted pear trees in this section. If nothing else there will be choices.

Those of you that have been doing this for awhile do you ever rotate WR into other plots? I am probably getting ahead of myself and should be more focused on soil building but damn is it fun.
I rotate my WR with brassicas, early to mid July after the rye has run it's course I'll spray and roll it after broadcasting the brassica mix into it, it's worked for me.

I rotate my WR with brassicas, early to mid July after the rye has run it's course I'll spray and roll it after broadcasting the brassica mix into it, it's worked for me.
For whatever reason any brassicas don’t get used much. Maybe they just aren’t used to them.

Proof once again that big seeds can grow with throw-n-mow if you get a little thatch on top.
c094cea3fc7d5f48e248d8e9c7a0d761.jpg

I spread some navy beans, sweet corn, sunflowers, buckwheat, red clover, crimson clover, yellow sweet clover, and left over snow peas, sugar snap peas, and lettuce that I didn't use in the garden. Got about 3/4 of the way done with the mowing and the belt came off my rider. Was too hot to mess with. An inch of rain coming tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

I spread some navy beans, sweet corn, sunflowers, buckwheat, red clover, crimson clover, yellow sweet clover, and left over snow peas, sugar snap peas, and lettuce that I didn't use in the garden. Got about 3/4 of the way done with the mowing and the belt came off my rider. Was too hot to mess with. An inch of rain coming tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

So basically you planted a salad bar.

My family is just starting to get into food plotting. The “landowners” (my father and uncle) are “100% old school by golly we need to till and once tilled, till some more for good measure” planting types. They don’t even want to discuss other ways. While I’m not thrilled to till, if it is that or no food plots, I’ve held my comments because our property’s limiting factor except during acorn drop is food.

Thankfully one of the plot locations is filled with small boulders, so I’m working to convince them to let me throw and mow that section this year. Currently, it has a smorgasbord of oats, millet, clovers, and buckwheat. I’m going let all that grow until September, have my cousin who lives on the property terminate a week before I go for fall planting.

We’ll put in LC’s grain mix with some clover, chicory, and alfalfa. I’ll be getting a side by side test with tilling vs throw n mow. Last fall this plot only partially survived from my uncle and cousin hand watering one 10 gallon bucket at a time during the drought that hit the week after tilling and planting. The ground was dry and cracked after their tilling extravaganza. We did finally get some growth with the late fall rains, then an explosion with the spring thaw and rains. I contend the moisture was baked out of the bare filled dirt, while my elders said there was no moisture. We shall see whose standing going forward - GAME ON!

Thank y’all for this thread!

Last edited:
Where is your farm,TX Aggie?

i will be starting 3rd year "all" TnM in east texas. Patience is a virtue. 1st year was fair result....2nd year was much better

Follow recs in this thread

You will kick their ass if you stick with it

bill

My family is just starting to get into food plotting. The “landowners” (my father and uncle) are “100% old school by golly we need to till and once tilled, till some more for good measure” planting types. They don’t even want to discuss other ways. While I’m not thrilled to till, if it is that or no food plots, I’ve held my comments because our property’s limiting factor except during acorn drop is food.

Thankfully one of the plot locations is filled with small boulders, so I’m working to convince them to let me throw and mow that section this year. Currently, it has a smorgasbord of oats, millet, clovers, and buckwheat. I’m going let all that grow until September, have my cousin who lives on the property terminate a week before I go for fall planting.

We’ll put in LC’s grain mix with some clover, chicory, and alfalfa. I’ll be getting a side by side test with tilling vs throw n mow. Last fall this plot only partially survived from my uncle and cousin hand watering one 10 gallon bucket at a time during the drought that hit the week after tilling and planting. The ground was dry and cracked after their tilling extravaganza. We did finally get some growth with the late fall rains, then an explosion with the spring thaw and rains. I contend the moisture was baked out of the bare filled dirt, while my elders said there was no moisture. We shall see whose standing going forward - GAME ON!

Thank y’all for this thread!
There's a substantial amount of rain infiltration and moisture preservation in no or minimum till as opposed to deep tillage.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My property is in Southwest Missouri near Branson. We are up on the ridge tops with deep rocky hollers, and very little bottom land.

I tried throw and mow once a couple of springs ago, it wasn’t horrible, I was able to get some milo, buckwheat, a little clover, and oats to grow, along with tons of weeds. If cowpeas came up, they were inhaled by the local deer. I could never find a trace of them.

Don't bet them on the results of this year's plantings. Tell them you need 3 years to get things right first......then compare. It takes patience like has already been said. It takes time to turn things around and rebuild the soil. Very little will have changed this fall when you plant. It's merely step 1 on your path.

Proof once again that big seeds can grow with throw-n-mow if you get a little thatch on top.
When doing a TNM soybean plot how much seed per acre did you use and how was your overall germination? I have a plot sprayed and ready to till but was considering just broadcasting, mowing, and packing down with tires. The plot hasnt been tilled in 3 years and for the past two it has been TNM WW and WR.

When doing a TNM soybean plot how much seed per acre did you use and how was your overall germination? I have a plot sprayed and ready to till but was considering just broadcasting, mowing, and packing down with tires. The plot hasnt been tilled in 3 years and for the past two it has been TNM WW and WR.
This particular one is peas and not beans, but I typically go pretty heavy with seeding rates. If broadcasting calls for 40lbs per acre I tend to do 50-60. I'm not looking for pod production though, just forage.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk