That’s Radish

That’s Radish
Waist-high radish to be exact and the result of improperly mixed seed with the spreader open too far. I had an erosion problem there but not this year.

Can you get better close up pics?
Sure let me run out back

That’s Radish
Waist-high radish to be exact and the result of improperly mixed seed with the spreader open too far. I had an erosion problem there but not this year.
Not trying to be a smart ass, but if you know what it is, then why did you ask?
I'm confused.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Due to cereal rye failure I didn't have anything to mow, so I broadcast red clover, peas, and chicory, then covered about 1,000 square feet near my bowstand with hay. 20180507_083906_001.jpg

We've got plenty of rain this past week so this spot should be good. Where I didn't spread hay the top of the soil where the seeds are laying is bone dry just a day after a 2" rainfall, so will be in trouble there.

I'm confused.

I have a purpose I promise :)

I'm confused.

Most of it looks like a pretty nice plot. I've never seen radish bolt...my deer destroy it as it sprouts.
Is it a Lickcreek mix?

Most of it looks like a pretty nice plot. I've never seen radish bolt...my deer destroy it as it sprouts.

The deer around here don’t eat the radish I plant not sure why. They nibble a bit but it tends to bolt every year. At this point I just plant it for the holes it drills.

I'm confused.

Okay, so what's your purpose?
Is this a quiz?

Is this a quiz?

no not a quiz maybe more of a testimonial. What those photos represent is a successful first time TNM 8 months after the fact. I have knee high winter rye that took off even in some areas that didn’t have the right amount of thatch.

I found this forum last year and never really thought this would work. I have piss poor soil and I have about 5 years of food plot failures. I decided to give this a try last year and it only produced hands down the best food plots I have ever had. I had tempered expectations because of my soil and it checked all the boxes for a satisfactory result.

I never had a problem with germination but sustaining the plot was always a chore and weather dependent. Even utilization was an issue at times.

This plot was planted on September 1st 2017 and the conditions couldn’t have been much worse. It may have rained 2-3 times from planting until late October but the plot continued to grow and draw deer. I have had deer in the plot almost daily from October until this week. It’s a common occurrence to walk the plot and find moisture under the canopy. I couldn’t be more thrilled at how this has turned out and it’s safe to say I am a believer. I appreciate all of the input that I have received on this forum. Now the only question becomes “Is it time to sell my disc?” I can’t help but get excited at the thought of this plot getting even better as my soil improves.

Is this a quiz?

no not a quiz maybe more of a testimonial. What those photos represent is a successful first time TNM 8 months after the fact. I have knee high winter rye that took off even in some areas that didn’t have the right amount of thatch.

I found this forum last year and never really thought this would work. I have piss poor soil and I have about 5 years of food plot failures. I decided to give this a try last year and it only produced hands down the best food plots I have ever had. I had tempered expectations because of my soil and it checked all the boxes for a satisfactory result.

I never had a problem with germination but sustaining the plot was always a chore and weather dependent. Even utilization was an issue at times.

This plot was planted on September 1st 2017 and the conditions couldn’t have been much worse. It may have rained 2-3 times from planting until late October but the plot continued to grow and draw deer. I have had deer in the plot almost daily from October until this week. It’s a common occurrence to walk the plot and find moisture under the canopy. I couldn’t be more thrilled at how this has turned out and it’s safe to say I am a believer. I appreciate all of the input that I have received on this forum. Now the only question becomes “Is it time to sell my disc?” I can’t help but get excited at the thought of this plot getting even better as my soil improves.
Nice job.
Question about your discs...is the pitch adjustable?
I still believe there is use for minimum tillage (discing) at times. Discing with the pitch set with slight angle is something I'm going to mess around with this year.

Nice job.
Question about your discs...is the pitch adjustable?
I still believe there is use for minimum tillage (discing) at times. Discing with the pitch set with slight angle is something I'm going to mess around with this year.

It is adjustable. I won’t sell it quite yet. I actually am adding a 2 acre plot next to a 7 acre CIR/Kanlow field I frost seeded in January. The 2 acres is a bit bumpy so I am going to disc, drag, broadcast, and cultipack.

I really hate to disc it but it needs fixed. I am planting a mix of buckwheat, oats, spring triticale, crimson and berseem clover along with some field peas. I will convert it TNM in the fall.

Now the only question becomes “Is it time to sell my disc?”

I'm with you on the minimal tillage...

The only use for my disc now as far as I'm concerned is to chew up corn stalks after I plant corn. Everything else is TNM if possible. It isn't always possible for several reasons, but when I can I will!

-John

92E67005-6307-45A8-AAC0-3A1CBAFD65DA.jpegFunny what a little ground cover will do. Here is part of a field about 50 feet from some of the photos above. Same amount of rainfall and sunlight. Not an ounce of moisture to be had.

That is pretty amazing.

I am so torn. The clover under my WR looks fabulous. Maybe it looks great because of the protection it is getting from the WR.

I really want to mow and release it but I’d hate to terminate the WR and lose the free seed and the bio-mass for the fall plot. I had no intentions of doing anything to the plot until late summer. The deer are bedding in it and have well worn trails already.

I found a dozen or so beds in a 3/4 acre section. A bunch of free fertilizer also.

437CEA94-4E3F-4968-9F5D-85D251884010.jpeg28C11563-6221-413A-B52E-685EE2F3A697.jpeg94375949-4503-4F8D-AE3D-E66FD9184E97.jpegD3F66AD9-DBA6-46C1-A8E4-1D1CBA87CB31.jpegD536A36F-A781-4431-864E-1325A5C2E1F0.jpeg

It does look very good! Nice when a plan comes together.

Reactions: Rit