I tried my first throw n mow last fall - wheat, rye, and durana clover. Based upon the time and effort - it did just OK. But, I cant find much of any Durana that came up. At $175 for 25 pounds - the clover has got to come up. Anyone else have only the clover fail to come up?
086B50AD-3118-4FF4-8BC3-FB9476BC70A5.jpeg

I've done very well with clover and throw n mow. It's slower to show up than I like but it comes on strong once it gets going. Not sure what happened to your plot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

At what rate did you seed? I planted some in fall 2016. Mine started to show up the following spring and got thicker throughout the year. I cut trees in my plot to get more sun and still have to remove the trees. It does seem to be growing and getting thicker. I can't give you a current update because I still have 18" of snow. I have not gotten great height but it is spreading by stolens. No exclusion cage. I did not mow my rye and that may have slowed it down. I would not give up on it and will give an update if the snow ever melts.

At what rate did you seed? I planted some in fall 2016. Mine started to show up the following spring and got thicker throughout the year. I cut trees in my plot to get more sun and still have to remove the trees. It does seem to be growing and getting thicker. I can't give you a current update because I still have 18" of snow. I have not gotten great height but it is spreading by stolens. No exclusion cage. I did not mow my rye and that may have slowed it down. I would not give up on it and will give an update if the snow ever melts.
I seeded wheat and rye at 75 lbs each, and the ladino at about five or six pounds. The problem in the south - our clover often does not make it through July/August - if it has not made an appearance by now, I doubt is will have a chance to come on later and establish roots well enough to come back next fall.

Am I seeing clover? Do you think tht the rye will protect it? What is your next plan?

Has anyone no-tilled into live sod?
Im thinking of doing it this fall on about 6 acres. I got the idea from Colin Seis out of Australia. He gets a grain crop in over the winter and leaves the grazing grasses underneath until after the grain is harvested. I would have cattle back on it before it produced grain, but a similar idea.

I’m thinking WR, WW, some radishes for OM, and some AWP for candy...
Plant beginning of September after cows are removed (grazing it low), and put them back on in late January after season closes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stopped tilling the last 2 falls and am strictly TnM

I didn't use gly either time.. I plant the last week in september. By that time,summer grasses and weeds are approaching dormancy here

I am satisfied with results

Would be interested in your experience

bill

I know that we are in entirely different areas, but I would to know how it has worked and what you planted. I am a no spray guy.

Google up "Try these cool season mixes" by Craig Harper

I used 50#winter rye,15#crimson clover,5#arrow leaf clover/acre

Idiot proof in my sandy soil.

i recall there are "northern" recipes as well

bill

Two quick questions for the throw and mow and folks...

From the quick research I found Roundup decreases seed germination because of the residue left in the soil. How do you work around that ?

Any spring mixes you guys would suggest in mid south Texas?
I'm thinking pearl milllet, peas, sunflower, lablab.

From the quick research I found Roundup decreases seed germination because of the residue left in the soil. How do you work around that ?

I've never really seen any decrease in germination because of spraying and rolling/mowing. When rolling I will broadcast and spray and roll all within minutes. When doing a throw and mow I'll kill it let it dye down then broadcast seed and mow, I've never had any problems. As far as your mix it sounds good but I'm quite a bit north of you. Good luck!

I've never noticed a decrease in germination either. I spray and either roll or mow a week or two later.

I would check out Small Burnet, particularly Delar. Very drought tolerant which may help in Texas. It is very winter hardy, but that may not be an issue for you. I have some in my best plot in very sandy ground. Keep us posted.

Great info. Was aware of the practice of Throw & Mow, but read entire thread to learn more. Planning on trying this on a hunting lease.

I'm in a heavy Ag area. This lease was acquired 3weeks before 2017 archery season. Farmer had soybeans on the property to the east. Once they were harvested....deer activity halted. Several large corn fields to the north, about a mile. Most of November was a tough hunting.

I'm assuming corn will be planted where beans were last year. My plan is to create food plot paths instead of traditional plots.

Anyone try doing food paths?20171001_081101.jpg

The attached photo from 10/1/17, shows the type of vegetation in fields on property (owner said he leased fields to farmer until a few years ago).

There's a marsh and then up the hill above is woods with islands of hemlocks and other hardwoods.

Anyways, my plan is to plant strips that connect bedding to the ag fields to the east keeping it close to wood line.

When wind is out of NW, I can enter from the south/road and hunt sections of this food plot path.

South winds, I'd have to cross the plot path and hook in to a different setup.

Need to pull soil samples to have tested. Would like to start off with BW and rye, maybe clover. Then, a nice variety Fall plot.

Plan of action is to spray, follow up spray, spread seed & lime, mow place trail cams.

Will keep following this thread!

Food paths work. Probably better winding through the timber but strips in a fallow field will get attention too.

Agree about the timber. Have trails I plan to plant too. Green lines show the trails. Red the approximate property lines. Purple dot is where the above photo I shared of field.

I do have a guy hunting property line along NE. That corner is all poplar too small to hang a stand. Planning to mow that field corner down...taking away some cover. Hoping to get them to use the timber from Southend of marsh to the ag fields. Deer did that until beans got harvested.

Marsh is mostly grass, few dead trees and sections of phragmites. I was able to walk across it last fall. Late season, some bedded in phragmites. Seen a few deer skirting around southend.

More bedding in the woods left of marsh. Some standing water in areas. They find dry humps under hemlocks. I'm trying to avoid pressuring that area. Wish I could access it from north. Trying to catch them between bed & food. I'll go in there early on a south wind .....had a nice encounter during the rut. Buck & doe came up from marsh to bed and I picked a tree to climb that was just out of range.

It's not my only place to hunt but it is the one place right now that I can hunt my way. I have cover, now i need food!

Can anyone tell me what this is?

B2910909-9E5B-4881-A0BD-1769CE6FD848.jpeg5F8D2B40-158A-4474-9FD7-58B122184E15.jpeg8EBC19AB-8607-46BD-87F8-C96562BF71DF.jpegFC612F20-9E25-42D5-8482-D6F571793C8D.jpeg13F45E53-9F49-4E98-B444-4EDBA3E23FAA.jpeg5F8D2B40-158A-4474-9FD7-58B122184E15.jpeg8EBC19AB-8607-46BD-87F8-C96562BF71DF.jpeg

I don’t think glysophate leaves a residual in the soil. No need to work around it.