All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting over

Avoid the jackpine savages and look for where the hillbillies live ;)

Yep.....Ellie Mae Clampet! :D

I have talked to a lot of people that border MN state land. I have heard no good stories. Except for the West Limb guy on here-

I have talked to a lot of people that border MN state land. I have heard no good stories. Except for the West Limb guy on here-

West Limb guy?? Moi? Geesh. I'm starting to feel like on of those opposing view news correspondents they hire for news channels......just so they can beat them up. lol o_O

edit: OK....now I get it. West Limb :D <-----slow on the uptake.

west Branch has some landlocked public.

I look at it 2 different ways. State land is usually a mess for the rifle season only, but can drive deer onto your property as well. If you get a no good land owner next to you that is constantly driving 4 wheelers year round right next to you with a bunch of his buddies, that would not be good either. I would not want that type of year round activity. IT can be bad no matter how much planning a guy does before buying.

Avoid the jackpine savages and look for where the hillbillies live ;)
I would want to be in an area where the locals actually own land, less worry about trespassing. The hillbillies around me and Stu(more so by Stu;)) actually own a lot of land and stay on it. These guys only hunt during the gun season for the most part and deer hunting is pretty low on their priority list as they are trying to scratch out a living with beef cattle and farming less than suitable ground. Land is pretty hard to come by around here though as these guys have no reason to sell it. The only limiting factor in this area is Beau Liddell but a little bit north would be my choice if it wasn't for family here.

Batman,
Like Foggy says "You have to do your homework" There are gems everwhere. I completely understand your apprehesion with being bordered by public land. One of my main criteria for buying land was that I WANTED NONE anywhere near where I bought, but it turns out my two public land borders are the easiest to defend because they are BIG swamp. I've met some great folks that live up up there and some real a-holes from the cities. I had more problems with people when we hunted ALL private parcels in Guthrie, Bemidji, and Park Rapids. Saw my largest buck ever on my property since I bought in 2010 just 2 weeks ago (150 class). Point is....you'll never know what it is without boots on the ground!

I have done some food plots at my dads in Baxter and that soil is pretty frustrating to deal with. It's definitely doable as Foggy has done but to me having heavy soil makes my life a bit more enjoyable and allows me to focus on other things as well. Brooks you are lucky to have the opportunity to start over and I know you aren't taking it likely but man are there a lot of things to take into consideration.

I look at it 2 different ways. State land is usually a mess for the rifle season only, but can drive deer onto your property as well. If you get a no good land owner next to you that is constantly driving 4 wheelers year round right next to you with a bunch of his buddies, that would not be good either. I would not want that type of year round activity. IT can be bad no matter how much planning a guy does before buying.
Yep, only problem l've had at my place is when the "Special People" from Chanhassen bought the place next door and thought they were gonna drive wheelers through my property on a regular basis to access the landlocked county land. We came to an understanding on that crap though.

Yep, only problem l've had at my place is when the "Special People" from Chanhassen bought the place next door and thought they were gonna drive wheelers through my property on a regular basis to access the landlocked county land. We came to an understanding on that crap though.

I remember you telling me that, good you got that straightened out!

Sometimes just spending a day in the neighborhood you want to buy......will unveil some good parcels that could be bought. You just gotta kick some tires and nose around. Not everything has a realtor sign on it. ;) .....in fact that stuff has often been passed by.

Gotta run off.....my deer stand is calling me to be erected. :D

Sometimes just spending a day in the neighborhood you want to buy......will unveil some good parcels that could be bought. You just gotta kick some tires and nose around. Not everything has a realtor sign on it. ;) .....in fact that stuff has often been passed by.

Gotta run off.....my deer stand is calling me to be erected. :D

Yep a saturday can tell you a lot about the neighbors. Monday.....Not so much.

I would want to be in an area where the locals actually own land, less worry about trespassing. The hillbillies around me and Stu(more so by Stu;)) actually own a lot of land and stay on it. These guys only hunt during the gun season for the most part and deer hunting is pretty low on their priority list as they are trying to scratch out a living with beef cattle and farming less than suitable ground. Land is pretty hard to come by around here though as these guys have no reason to sell it. The only limiting factor in this area is Beau Liddell but a little bit north would be my choice if it wasn't for family here.
Yep, my neighbors hunt for 3 days during rifle season, get their deer, then go back to farming. They may shoot a good bit of deer but most of there focus is on farming and getting the crops off before winter sets in. I've had good luck hunting the middle of the week when it settles down. Shot a nice 138" 9 ptr out cruising on a Thursday during rifle a few years back.

There's a lot to be said for having local folks as neighbors. Especially if they are farmers/ranchers and live on the adjacent properties. I'd much rather have that situation, than have a bunch of city fellers (sorry guys) owning/hunting around me.
As I "city guy", I AGREE! I like my local watchdog neighbors and wouldn't want to be surrounded by hootin and hollerin weekend warriors like myself :D.

Yep, my neighbors hunt for 3 days during rifle season, get their deer, then go back to farming. They may shoot a good bit of deer but most of there focus is on farming and getting the crops off before winter sets in.
This is my situation. I have gone out of my way to be a very good neighbor and have a good relationship with my neighbors. Most are farmers first by a long ways and hunters a distant second.

I pull cards that tomorrow. If new deer showed in last 2 days I run them 5 more days. I will no my neighbors soon.

I'd hope to shout that you would get some pics on a daily basis at that site. Doesn't everyone? o_O

I'd consider the Fosston area if I were looking. South of there is some nice land in the transition zone with lots of ag and swamp/woods. Some giants in that area. I've seen pics of monsters north as well near Leonard which is north of bagley.

6 day soak over multiple attractants showed me 2 yearling bucks and some does and fawns on 3 cameras. Do not pass go. Move back 2 spaces.

I would second stu's notion! If you want to really be at the whims of Mother Nature and her sporadic July rain events have at it, but be ready for many years of frustration and failed plots, or be prepared to be tied to a small handful of the more low ph, drought-resistant plot plantings like rye and red clover. You can forget corn unless you want to put in a pivot irrigator.