All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting over

B

bat man

Pending offers on both my current pieces.

One was too big and I bought it to improve and sell it. The other had little potential for my goals but I was unaware when I bought it.

So I found an 80 in zone 246 west of Pequot Lakes. Area DNR manager does not seem to hate deer. I am going up to place 2 cameras over piles of corn to check local buck age structure tomorrow, and if the pics tell a story make an offer.

Safari 57.png

I pulled up google earth pics to check for tower blinds, and the ones I found are pinned on the map in yellow. I have no huge fear of neighbors to the south as the deer have to cross my access road to get there and walking areas like that seems to deter daylight deer crossings. Deer learn quickly.

Safari 58.png

What else do you guys do to check new spots for value?

What else do you guys do to check new spots for value?

I check to see if I am in the right state of the union first.

Got to have at least one spot couple hours from home MO! I know there are some good neighborhoods that direction.

Always have an exit strategy when you buy unless you want to be buried their.

When you say value do you mean from the standpoint of deer quality or land market value?

I would look at soil quality, is it beneficial, neutral or a deduction. I would do the same with the forest, Oak, evergreen, both? How about water table, would the area flood if you had significant rain?
How about electric, close to property or thousands of dollars to get to where you want it? Check for easements or leans on property. Access, does it sit correctly?

Pull out the plat map and identify every owner and public land within a few miles. Check for criminal activity.

Find out if the neighbors are like ours...
If so start the search over. ;)

Got to have at least one spot couple hours from home MO! I know there are some good neighborhoods that direction.

Just funnin with yah!

The first thing I do is walk the fence lines of the property and see how many deer stands are surrounding a parcel that small on the neighbors.
Potential don't mean squat if anything close to the line gets blasted.

I wish I KNEW more about the area in question. I'd talk to neighbors. If this is the place I think it is......then I'd like to believe it's pretty good hunting. OTOH......If you go about 20 miles east......that area is KNOWN for big bucks. I'd also wager there are some good deer taken in the area your looking.

Availability of electric is huge for resale. Also good road access. A place for a cabin? / Shied?

Lots of "lake people" want their deer land (or storage land) near the lake area......so I think resale is pretty good. Lots of these properties turn over in this area.

I usually look for a big swamp or river bottom bordering or on it. Without great escape cover near by or on it bucks usually don't last long.

You could talk to Jody Osterloh or her Hustabnd Rob Osterligh at Land Radar (.com). Land Radar is part of the Close/Converse real estate operation. They sell all the Portatch Properties in this area. I think he or she could tell you the sales price comparisons quite quickly. they have been around the block.

I also know a couple of real estate folks in this area that could give you some comparisons. I think Slugger has good knowledge of this area real estate values too. I would definitely talk to him. ;)

Not sure I am up for much walking right now (back and hip issues are plaguing me again) but I am willing to look with you in the afternoon - if you like.

OH....and don't come up her expecting to join the QDMA club in Pequot Lakes.....because it does not exist. Never has. ;)

Last edited:
I'd inventory the trees. See if you've got the right stuff to manage for acorns, browse, cover, hinging, ease of opening up areas for food plots etc. If you're going to walk it, I'd also take a soil probe and do a soil test. I'd hate to end up in an area with an extremely heavy soil that needs 4 tons of lime/ac to bring it up to growing condition. Will you have areas you can plant outside of a frost pocket? How far away are key services? Bulldozers, propane, electric, farm supplies etc. Distance from a liquor store should be taken into account as well.

I usually look for a big swamp or river bottom bordering or on it. Without great escape cover near by or on it bucks usually don't last long.

swamp butts the proper NW to SE.
I would look at soil quality, is it beneficial, neutral or a deduction..

Just pulled it. Big deduction. Averages 25 on a scale of 1 - 100.

The first thing I do is walk the fence lines of the property and see how many deer stands are surrounding a parcel that small on the neighbors.
Potential don't mean squat if anything close to the line gets blasted.

3 on the south line and one on the north line. Not great.

Thanks guys. Maybe the girl I was looking at is fat.

I forgot to mention neighbors the sell dope and have 8 wandering dogs.

I forgot to mention neighbors the sell dope and have 8 wandering dogs.

Dope growers are okay as they chase deer to me. Wandering dogs are a form of entertainment most should not discuss.

Of the 94 properties I looked at (online) under $2K per acre in MN only one had decent access. And that one is only worth pasturing.

I think a lot of those come way off their list price before they sell. Don't quote me on that, but I don't think it's like housing where they end up around 97% of ask in a normal market. That being said, don't get me started on the bare land market. The transparency of what's for sale and how well it's presented is terrible. "I want $360,000 for 120 acres. Here is a picture of the road approach. Mix of wooded and open, no low ground." That'll be 6% for that marketing expertise.

They got $1,700 per acre for the 80 north of there 30 days ago. This piece is asking about $1,550 per acre but has been on market almost a year. Was not going to pay over $1,000 per acre.

They got $1,700 per acre for the 80 north of there 30 days ago. This piece is asking about $1,550 per acre but has been on market almost a year. Was not going to pay over $1,000 per acre.

$1000 an acre that close to Brainerd could be hard to come by.

You may be right, but when it sits for a year, I might be the opportunity knocking. I may be the only knocker.

Get this one for <500 and make improvements. Should be fairly low pressure compared to some areas. I think it is near some better pockets of deer. I can forward you real estate agents email if you want. Has disclosures and all that stuff.

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/carlton-county-665-acre.2389/

I think there is still 60 acres near us for sale that might go for an offer of <40k cash. The guy is scared of banks and has turned down offers from people that involved "too much paperwork".

Get this one for <500 and make improvements.

The wolves scare me up there. But I know nothing of real substance. No experience up there.