How long to hang on to a property & When to move on

gjs4

5 year old buck +
I have a litany of threads on here stemming from our SE Ohio purchase just shy of a year ago. It has been nothing but highs and lows. While I have owned and/or managed some local NY properties for 15+ years, this was the first out of state ownership (and have hunted public and private all over the midwest), it seems the challenges of this place are exponentially harder. Have been able to keep some faith through most of it but feel like I have walked past the tipping point and asked the realtor this am "whats it worth" to which the reply was "give it time, for your sake..the deer...and interest rates to go down.....but ill get back to you".

-Went down 3-4weeks ago (12hr round trip), intended to spray lighter mix of gly to clean up some clover and seed my fall plots. I mixed strong, nuked it all and the while the thatch fell nice the no rain since has some sad looking plots.
-Got a letter last week from the pipeline folks that they intend to be doing some maintenance this September there. Called for details to find out they really need to do some work there for two weeks in November. After it was stated it was non-emergency (as I work for a utility) I politely told them that doesn't work as they would be ruining a deer only parcel (with accessing through the center, trashing a food plot and working right where i plan to hunt). They gave zero concern to that and im bringing the public service commission into it. They didnt even mow the ROWs last yr but went down following this letter noted they did last week (wo notice), inc a struggling acre of clover and some areas I killed the grass for native broadleaves.. all i could think of was this is poacher paradise and the ATVs will be there any day now.
-The outfitter to the north is putting about $1k a month into bait. Know some of the deer he posts pics of and his clientele remain posting likes, loves and interests to kill the 2-3 yos he furnishes with this place and practice. Sadly, and despite what I would imagine is a much more sound and pressure free approach...my pics and sightings remain the 3 and under crowd as well. My heart tells me this is the ceiling for the area and one that doesn't interest me for hunting.
-Fingers crossed- we haven't had any known hunting trespass.
-Ive had some neighbor line and use issues (which appear to be in check now), its covered in invasives and like everywhere could use more attention than I (or my lack of equipment and dwelling there) can handle right now.
-My wife and I love the area and do like the idea of moving there full time years out, or part time when we could afford to. Its a super cool locale. Finances have dreams ahead of realities though. To me, it was an investment but the real reason was a deer escape and get away (with mature/trophy focus). While I will make some money with a sale (though dont know how much or what i could buy with it), the trophy deer getaway portion was what my (mid)life desired (fore)most.

It was such a high to find this place after years of searching, felt right as a savvy hunter/manager but wondering if its just my impatience throwing a pity party, or time to move on.

Has anyone found "the one", tried their best but ended up choosing to walk away? how long did you give it and why did you finally make the call? Any regrets on selling after a change of heart?

The 3 and under crowd comment would trump everything else if it was me. I can't recall all the details of the other threads and pics, but have you seen any mature ones yet at all? If the circumstances of that area are preventing big bucks from getting onto you, then I'd have a 4 sale sign up. Would be easier to do it now before you get too emotionally invested.

I'm surprised outfitting gigs can stay in biz if they're only able to provide 2 & 3 yr bucks. Do they actually get repeat biz doing that?

I thought I had a couple pics of 4 & 5 yos last yr. Nothing since.

This outfitter is the worst in Ohio- but he is out of stater and cheating by doing this on leased land he shouldn't be. Massive bait piles, young bucks only and apparent a bunch of repeat customers because he only charges $1500. Didnt know he was there, was crushed at first and then figured if he is only harassing the herd i may benefit from the pressure displacing older ones. So far, thats not the case.

It sounds like the outfitter neighbor is the biggest problem. If you cant tolerate what he is doing - get out now before you sink anymore time, effort, and money.

Poachers moved in next to a property we hunted a lot. It hasn't been the same since. Can still hunt deer there but it's mainly a dove, duck, and quail spot now. Still an outstanding property but with a different focus now. With your outfitter neighbors shifting focus might be your best bet. Doing a ton of bird hunting in November might be therapeutic for ya.

There are a couple of things that I just won't accept anymore on a property ... trespassing and Govt/Utility easements. Trespassing will occur and just need to develop a plan to adress it. If the sheriff or neighbors won't help, time to leave.

After owning an excellent deer hunting property with a NRCS WRP easement on it, I got fed up with the NRCS trying to micro-manage the property and telling me I needed a permit for everything I wanted to do. Delays and arbitrary rules for food plots, restrictions for planting food plot seed, can't mow trails until end of July, no gates, no cutting down trees, etc. At one point they tried to tell us all deer stands (ladder, hang on, and even wood box blinds) had to be removed by Dec 30th. Last straw ...

Based on the description of the property and issues, how is this 12 hour away property "the one"?

Last edited:
I honestly don’t know if the outfitter is the hold up or not… I just know he is killing a bunch of 2yos (and nothing older), has massive bait piles and I am not seeing mature deer at all. Easily could be what he’s removing from the herd, ehd last yr, my bad luck or who the heck knows….

As for why this was the one- it laid out nicely, offered habitat diversity and good roi from an investment standpoint, it was near a cool city … and was the best piece I had found and could afford in Ohio after years of looking. 15 min in “I knew this was one to buy”. While I don’t think my calibration was off… I’ve obviously learned some chit about Ohio since then and the hard way.

My folks farm here in NY was in EQUIP-LIP songbird program. They weren’t overly intrusive but would act like they own the place everytime they were there… whether we were hunting or not. Those programs are a pia.

Maturity says give it at least few days (knowing the advice of business folks said too soon, it took forever to find and I have no where to go) and likely best to wait through the season (let alone the dozen cams I have on the place). Would love to see some 5yo show up and nurse myself into a happier place then go down the road ahead bur a bad marriage will ruin a fella

I have a litany of threads on here stemming from our SE Ohio purchase just shy of a year ago. It has been nothing but highs and lows. While I have owned and/or managed some local NY properties for 15+ years, this was the first out of state ownership (and have hunted public and private all over the midwest), it seems the challenges of this place are exponentially harder. Have been able to keep some faith through most of it but feel like I have walked past the tipping point and asked the realtor this am "whats it worth" to which the reply was "give it time, for your sake..the deer...and interest rates to go down.....but ill get back to you".

-Went down 3-4weeks ago (12hr round trip), intended to spray lighter mix of gly to clean up some clover and seed my fall plots. I mixed strong, nuked it all and the while the thatch fell nice the no rain since has some sad looking plots.
-Got a letter last week from the pipeline folks that they intend to be doing some maintenance this September there. Called for details to find out they really need to do some work there for two weeks in November. After it was stated it was non-emergency (as I work for a utility) I politely told them that doesn't work as they would be ruining a deer only parcel (with accessing through the center, trashing a food plot and working right where i plan to hunt). They gave zero concern to that and im bringing the public service commission into it. They didnt even mow the ROWs last yr but went down following this letter noted they did last week (wo notice), inc a struggling acre of clover and some areas I killed the grass for native broadleaves.. all i could think of was this is poacher paradise and the ATVs will be there any day now.
-The outfitter to the north is putting about $1k a month into bait. Know some of the deer he posts pics of and his clientele remain posting likes, loves and interests to kill the 2-3 yos he furnishes with this place and practice. Sadly, and despite what I would imagine is a much more sound and pressure free approach...my pics and sightings remain the 3 and under crowd as well. My heart tells me this is the ceiling for the area and one that doesn't interest me for hunting.
-Fingers crossed- we haven't had any known hunting trespass.
-Ive had some neighbor line and use issues (which appear to be in check now), its covered in invasives and like everywhere could use more attention than I (or my lack of equipment and dwelling there) can handle right now.
-My wife and I love the area and do like the idea of moving there full time years out, or part time when we could afford to. Its a super cool locale. Finances have dreams ahead of realities though. To me, it was an investment but the real reason was a deer escape and get away (with mature/trophy focus). While I will make some money with a sale (though dont know how much or what i could buy with it), the trophy deer getaway portion was what my (mid)life desired (fore)most.

It was such a high to find this place after years of searching, felt right as a savvy hunter/manager but wondering if its just my impatience throwing a pity party, or time to move on.

Has anyone found "the one", tried their best but ended up choosing to walk away? how long did you give it and why did you finally make the call? Any regrets on selling after a change of heart?
As someone that finds fault in literally every piece of property on the market, this post has given me too much vindication. :) I know this doesn’t help.

Unless you’ll lose your shirt, life’s too short to be unhappy about big purchases like that.

What’s your endgame and does this parcel fit into it? If the answer is “maybe,” can you control the factors required to turn it into “yes?” Can you maybe purchase the outfitter’s land in the future or outbid him for the lease? If it’s just always a “no,” probably best to move on, unless you’ll take a huge loss.

I honestly don’t know if the outfitter is the hold up or not… I just know he is killing a bunch of 2yos (and nothing older), has massive bait piles and I am not seeing mature deer at all. Easily could be what he’s removing from the herd, ehd last yr, my bad luck or who the heck knows….

As for why this was the one- it laid out nicely, offered habitat diversity and good roi from an investment standpoint, it was near a cool city … and was the best piece I had found and could afford in Ohio after years of looking. 15 min in “I knew this was one to buy”. While I don’t think my calibration was off… I’ve obviously learned some chit about Ohio since then and the hard way.

My folks farm here in NY was in EQUIP-LIP songbird program. They weren’t overly intrusive but would act like they own the place everytime they were there… whether we were hunting or not. Those programs are a pia.

Maturity says give it at least few days (knowing the advice of business folks said too soon, it took forever to find and I have no where to go) and likely best to wait through the season (let alone the dozen cams I have on the place). Would love to see some 5yo show up and nurse myself into a happier place then go down the road ahead bur a bad marriage will ruin a fella
There's 2 main reasons I won't take government money to fund wildlife programs on my place. One of them is that I don't want them to have any control over my property, or control of future decisions I may make. Already too much government in my life to volunteer letting them have more influence.

Maturity says give it at least few days (knowing the advice of business folks said too soon, it took forever to find and I have no where to go) and likely best to wait through the season (let alone the dozen cams I have on the place). Would love to see some 5yo show up and nurse myself into a happier place then go down the road ahead bur a bad marriage will ru
I think seeing even one 5 year old in the next 50 years on under 100 acres in high pressure is unrealistic. I believe if you work on it for many years and build up good barriers you might get a crack at a 3 year old now and then. Maybe every other year would be a success in my book. If those are your goals then I don’t think you have the right place. Might want to get rid of it. If you think it’s a good area why don’t you sell and get your money back and book a hunt every year with the outfitter. At that price you could hunt there every year for cheap with no long term obligations.

I think a year is way to early to dump a property for not having mature bucks. A lot of my places I don’t have mature bucks till middle of October and it sounds like you had some last year.

If the outfitter is breaking the law I would call the warden end of story.

A lot of other factors going on but those were the two that jumped out at me as something I wouldn’t sell a property over at least yet. You can pretty well count on property line issues unless someone pretty strongly dealt with it prior to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At some point, no place is perfect, unless you have an unlimited budget.

Important to reset set your expectations to be more realistic, such as seeing a 3 yo vs a 5 yo.

Accept what you can't change, and enjoy it until you decide to make a change. Attitude is one of the key things you can control 😉

I would say there are 3 problems in my book with this property, 12 hrs away,pipeline with bad contract sounds like,next door outfitter in that order.I live 6 minutes from my gate and I know everyone can't find land that close but I wouldn't drive that far.I have been very lucky with my CRP as there have been no problems and the oil company is pulling wells so that will end that lease on most of the property.

Biggest buck on my old farm year one
36E6C2A6-EC89-40E8-8760-B26E3F46958C.jpeg

Biggest buck years 2 and 3, I sold that next spring, but not cause of the quality of deer.
0C6AC055-5040-4884-9078-6533145A9D72.jpeg2C2EAEB9-239A-431E-B2C5-CB0E436E568E.jpeg

Not saying you will have giants next year but I was extremely frustrated year one and I was also a 12 hour round trip so I feel your pain. I don’t have a good answer except to say you might as well see what this season holds and maybe even the summer of next year and see if anything starts to make your place home that moves the meter.

I would likely give it some more time but only because I’m not sure you will even break even on the sale unless you got a good deal on the property to begin with so soon after purchase. If you can get out without a loss then dump it with a lesson learned buy local next time your patients and enjoyment will be much higher on a property that’s not so far away.

Thank you all for your responses.

A few quick bits of perspective to add which may contribute to the stance/perspective at han.

Its 6hrs away because I live in NY and midwestern "trophy" hunting opps versus new england typically are much greater. I had looked at the portions of Ohio that were closer and felt(as most do) the roi is better in SE ohio. Central is fantastic hunting, but at 5-10k an ac, way beyond my reach.

I own a 40+ 15 min away in addition to a family farm and where I live. I pass 3s, and even some older here with the logic if I am not happy to mount it, don't shoot it knowing that most years my bucks tags wont be used. (Whether thats right or not....is up to hunter...and yes i find it worth it). While I have worked/scouted hard on my places here to find this success....the neighbors suck, and theyre nothing great in terms of genetics or habitat, but a few comments make me feel out of touch with expecting mature deer in Ohio.

It was a good deal and would expect a nice gain. I shopped aggressively and for years....while it may be "P&Y" hunting, it was hopefully a "B&C" investment. There is apprehension for selling on both the "nothing out there of interested" and "maximize sale here" (which was stated to be even better if/when the market pulls up.

As for the ask, introspection and "already knowing".....My heart is saying "nope- not it" and my mind is saying "how can you sell without owning/hunting it one season?" The query was to see who has been here before to validate one/both/neither of those. Legitimately appreciate every comment here and dont have a desired outcome beyond better perspective on preceding's with some other's thoughts that have been through this.

In a few years, many baiting states will ban the practice, which will be a game changer in many places like yours. It is important to own a property that is more than just for deer, as CWD or a major EHD outbreaks can change a properties perceived (and actual) value, especially if it is primarily a deer habitat. Are there other aspects of the property that you and your wife love? Is there a sense of community among others in the region, and are they welcoming to newcomers?

My wife has a little property 12 hours away and we will be making a similar decision in the next couple of years—keep or sale. Right now the balance is tipping towards sale.