All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting over

Looks like good diversity. Mostly protected on 2 sides by swamp. Good burgers in Huntersville or Nimrod. Similar to my place and only a few miles away.

How is the price on this one compared to others in the area?

If the cover is right......I'd think this was a fair price. I see some swamp sell for as low as $800 over there.....and the best land might bring $1500.....but it better be on a river or something like that.

This has nice amenities. Seems turn key to me. Still.....if not hunting.....not much to do there. Then again.....there's always beer.

Those parcels marked DNR surrounding the piece kill any chances for me to peak.

If I were buying to flip, DNR land on the sides is what I want. 80% of People buying land that I sell think that the DNR land will be extra land to hunt with easy access, making it a better bang for there buck. I still would do the habitat work just as I would do on any other parcel using the DNR lands best points of terrain into my plan.

DNR Land don't bother me, You planning on keeping your next purchase?

If I were buying to flip, DNR land on the sides is what I want. 80% of People buying land that I sell think that the DNR land will be extra land to hunt with easy access, making it a better bang for there buck. I still would do the habitat work just as I would do on any other parcel using the DNR lands best points of terrain into my plan.

DNR Land don't bother me, You planning on keeping your next purchase?

Kind of like getting dating. Looking for something I will keep, but if it does not work out I can always bail. Leaning towards staying in MN until the kids are in high school at least (another 6 years) and then rethinking, but my plans are like jelly.

Yep, if buying to sell in a few years I'd agree 100%. If buying with the intention of keeping the land for a decade or more....I'd avoid DNR land like the plague.

I get in my hunting bubble and forget how Fudd the hunters of MN can be. Still don't think I could buy a piece bordered by state and be excited about improving it. But the access paradigm is a good one. If there is anything to chase into the private piece.

I get in my hunting bubble and forget how Fudd the hunters of MN can be. Still don't think I could buy a piece bordered by state and be excited about improving it. But the access paradigm is a good one. If there is anything to chase into the private piece.

^ ......Or lure from beds on the DNR ground to have dinner at your place?

Kinda like hunting Cecil. ;)

Most people that buy hunting land, go into the purchase thinking they are setting up a tradition for 100 years. When in fact, they normally sell at 5-7 years after buying.

How long did you own your last piece brooks?

^ ......Or lure from beds on the DNR ground to have dinner at your place?

Kinda like hunting Cecil. ;)

I fear most of that activity would be well after dark, but I could be wrong. I have grown accustom to deer sleeping on my place and staying there until after dark.

Most people that buy hunting land, go into the purchase thinking they are setting up a tradition for 100 years. When in fact, they normally sell at 5-7 years after buying.

How long did you own your last piece brooks?

2 years. But I bought it low with plans to make bank. Other piece I will have owned for 7 years. Wish I knew then what I know now. That piece is really taking shape for its potential and I am leaving for greener pastures.

2 years. But I bought it low with plans to make bank. Other piece I will have owned for 7 years. Wish I knew then what I know now. That piece is really taking shape for its potential and I am leaving for greener pastures.

I like it when that happens. Congrats!

The same can be said for about 95% of MN north of 94 :D

I suppose you could always go to a QDMA meeting at Pequot Lakes. ;) o_O

If your near some good lakes, theres always fishing and a few good restraints and such. :)

I suppose you could always go to a QDMA meeting at Pequot Lakes. ;) o_O

If your near some good lakes, theres always fishing and a few good restraints and such. :)
By restraints, do you mean what is going on at Mille Lacs?

By restraints, do you mean what is going on at Mille Lacs?

Ooops. Restaurants. :D Some shopping and restaurants keeps the Mrs happy.....while you play at the camp.

I really think you'd be disappointed if you bought up there brooks. I've got family that's owned land just south of there for 30+ years and the deer just don't get big like they do in farm country. Every local knows when you're gone and will be on it hunting, wolves are thick, that public land gets pounded, lots of brown and downers (poorest county in mn,people live off of venison in season or out), and numbers are way down. My uncle and grandpa quite hunting early every year and go home because they just don't see anything. I'd find a piece with no public land around it in transition farm/woods country and start talking to every neighbor. I've just heard and seen way too many horror stories from people that own land next to public to want to own any in mn.

Ooops. Restaurants. :D Some shopping and restaurants keeps the Mrs happy.....while you play at the camp.

So do restraints some times.....Just sayin!;)

I really think you'd be disappointed if you bought up there brooks. I've got family that's owned land just south of there for 30+ years and the deer just don't get big like they do in farm country. Every local knows when you're gone and will be on it hunting, wolves are thick, that public land gets pounded, lots of brown and downers (poorest county in mn,people live off of venison in season or out), and numbers are way down. My uncle and grandpa quite hunting early every year and go home because they just don't see anything. I'd find a piece with no public land around it in transition farm/woods country and start talking to every neighbor. I've just heard and seen way too many horror stories from people that own land next to public to want to own any in mn.

^ Those are valid points.....especially for that area being discussed. It's not all like that however. Sometimes theres a little county land or timber company land that provides some bennies. 'Ya gotta do your homework.

I've spent some time looking over in the Huntersville area.....and it "looks" good over there. It does get heavy hunting pressure. Land is cheap. Land is poor quality. Brown ?....its down. Rednecks abound. Truly is Jackpine Savage country.

^ Those are valid points.....especially for that area being discussed. It's not all like that however. Sometimes theres a little county land or timber company land that provides some bennies. 'Ya gotta do your homework.

I've spent some time looking over in the Huntersville area.....and it "looks" good over there. It does get heavy hunting pressure. Land is cheap. Land is poor quality. Brown ?....its down. Rednecks abound. Truly is Jackpine Savage country.
Agreed Tom but I'd just not deal with the headache if I didn't have to. That's some wild country with a lot of outlaws that just don't give a rip about anybody. If I didn't have to listen every year about how poor hunting was up there I'd think differently.

^ There are a variety of "pockets" of Jackpine Savages in the northland. There are areas around Pine River where I would be reluctant to set foot on the place. A few strange characters around there. Always hear banjo music in the distance. ;)

Lol Tom. Reminds me of the time I was at the Walmart in wadena and there was this husband/wife parked at the entrance in front. They were having a knock down, drag out shouting match at the top of their lungs for the whole world to see. I thought "hey! This is better then any reality tv show" and watched the fireworks for a few minutes until they got in their car and sped off. Cracked me up.