my first graft

should have taken a few more pics but ran out of time my Arkansas black and other apple trees I got from Cummings are doing well but didn't feel like fighting the wasps in there tubes for pics, 2 plums I planted r doing awesome, and all my chestnut and oak trees r doing well, hopefully next spring or maybe this nov I will plant my grafted trees on the farm

Those red delicious need trimmed & trained for sure. Way to much competition at the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah I know but I live 13 hours away from the farm, and its tough for me to get back, is nov or December an ok time to prune some branches off

yeah I know but I live 13 hours away from the farm, and its tough for me to get back, is nov or December an ok time to prune some branches off

If your going to wait until dormant to prune you are way better off doing it in late feb or early march whenever there may be a easier spell to travel to that location and get to the trees to work w/ them. The training of the branches has to happen this time of year when the branches are pliable. doing it in the dormancy cold period your likely to break them off.

a little new growth some are doing better than others
tree 1.jpeg tree 2.jpeg tree.jpeg

I used wax and parafilm tape, should I remove the wax and tape or will it be fine

I used wax and parafilm tape, should I remove the wax and tape or will it be fine

I am removing my parafilm currently over the next week as time allows. I removed plumbers tape (covered in tree kote) from my 2015 grafts last week, I lost one tree as it was girdled to the point the pressure popped the top of the tree off. Yes I'll be removing my bingings every late summer from here on out to allow 6 weeks weather exposure before it starts to go dormant.

I haven't checked on my trees in about a week. And I'm pretty sure they grew a
Over a foot in that time

My 8 trees that survives this years graft disaster are booming some have grown 30 inches. I think I will plant all this fall. One Jordan Russett is doing well Jarred. They are all in root trappers now

My 8 trees that survives this years graft disaster are booming some have grown 30 inches. I think I will plant all this fall. One Jordan Russett is doing well Jarred. They are all in root trappers now
Jordan Russet has been a stronger grower in my orchard as well and the tree has great natural shape.

Corey you are the one who sent me that scion right? One died and one is doing great. Thanks again

Corey you are the one who sent me that scion right? One died and one is doing great. Thanks again
Yes I believe I did. The fruit is suppose to make really good cider hopefully I'll find out next year!

I got grafts pushing 3 1/2 feet in growth holy smokers, I didn't expect them to get that big the first year! Nice job Jerred, good feeling aint it!

its a very good feeling ill post some pics tomorrow and measure,

The parafilm and wax will break open and will be easy to just peel off when that happens or it will fall off eventually by itself

The best growth I have is 32 inches. The rest are doing OK but are showings signs of pushing out some more growth 20160826_095606.jpg20160826_095610.jpg

Pears are doing well too20160826_095554.jpg

I looked at my grafts and most of the wax has been split and is peeling away on its own

Looking good man, nice job!

Jerred, i am considering a small backyard bed just like yours for next year. What kind of mix are you using for growing media? That is some impressive growth.