my first graft

Jerred, i am considering a small backyard bed just like yours for next year. What kind of mix are you using for growing media? That is some impressive growth.

I used mushroom compost top soil and potting soil

Couple questions for the Apple gurus my grafts from last year are starting to wake up at what point can I transplant them to their final spot I'm going to give a couple to a buddy here in Pennsylvania and then unfortunately the next time I'm going home to Illinois is late May is that too late to get in the ground for back there

I don't think anyone will tell you transplant a tree post bud break unless your able to water the heck out of it. Can it be successful sure but idk if I'd to it on purpose unless no other choice.

I have a couple that hasn't broken yet I'm going to give the guy here in town but I don't have a choice when it comes to the ones going back to Illinois also we are trying to sell her house so I really don't have a choice on all of them

How should I go about transporting them I know to keep the roots really wet is there anything else besides like paper towels and newspaper what's that watersorb stuff

When you move them dig as big a whole as you can around the strep and as deep and take the dirt with you.

No it's not too late to plant in Illinois in May. Are you able to put them in 3 or 5 gallon container like a root trapper or even a 5 gallon paint bucket with potting soil or peat moss. Just dig them up right before you make the trip and they should be fine

I'm still new at this. Are these buds20170412_175836.jpg

Yes they look like fruit buds. Are they pear trees? Buds usually come in 5's like those appear to be.

It's an apple tree

its a winter wildlife its growing like crazy compared to the rest

Well a sad day. My wife and I bought a new house in late July and moved. I dug up 6 of my trees in June and moved them out on the family farm. My dad and brother watered when they could but no rain since beginning of June did them in. The other trees I dug up and out in pots buckets and root saver bags. If been babying them at the new house. No luck. They have all died

So all of my first ever grafts are all gone. Sucks.

sorry to hear about the bad luck but no better time than now to order some rootstock for the spring! and of course if you need scion wood I'll be glad to send some out in the spring! Everybody loses trees and it does hurt the worst part is most of my losses are self inflicted -not installing mouse guards, installing stakes but forgetting to install a tie from the tree to the stake.

Yeah I'm already thinking about spring. Got a spot at the new house picked out for my raised garden to out them in.

Question. I have a spot next to my garage. On the south east side. On the raised garden will be up against my garage. White siding behind it. And on south east side. Would that be to much sun for new grafts. Or should I find another spot

They will be fine there as long as the spot doesnt get really hot for prolonged periods late in the day during summer.

Ok thanks

You could always put up a temporary screen if needed. Maybe some burlap.