my first graft

JERRED GRACEY

5 year old buck +
I did my first go around of grafting last night, did 4 pear 2 enterprise, 2 gold rush, 2 winter wildlife and 2 viola crab. a few went very well and most I thought went horribly, the guys on you tube made it look easy, ha. id be happy if I get 3 out of 10 to make it, I put the apples on b118, and the pears on OHxF97, I got the root stock from burnt ridge in Washington, the roots were massive, I didn't take any pics, I should have, I grew some apple from seed last year, and have a few scions left over, I will probably graft those this weekend
trees.jpg before

tree.png after

Good luck with your grafts! It does take practice. My first year wasn't the greatest results but each year I get a little better.

I did whip and tounge. ? My root stock didn't seem very green on the inside when I made my cuts. Is that normal?

I did whip and tounge. ? My root stock didn't seem very green on the inside when I made my cuts. Is that normal?

For B.118 they are typically more of a pinkish color.

upload_-1

You'll be so proud when that first bud opens :D and then you'll be hooked.:eek:

Good luck Jerred. You will be a proud papa soon lol

Thanks guys, thanks crazy. Thats what mine looked like. I got what I thought was decent contact from root stock to scion. Is it a problem if u can see a little light thru the graft before I taped it up?

Thanks guys, thanks crazy. Thats what mine looked like. I got what I thought was decent contact from root stock to scion. Is it a problem if u can see a little light thru the graft before I taped it up?

ideally you want flat cuts on both scion and rootstock so when you put together they are flat against each other with as much cambium lined up as possible and no light or space. You want to avoid light as much as possible,. It's one of the main reasons I use 1" teflon plumbing tape is because if miy cuts aren't perfect that type of tape really allows me to crank down type pulling them together as much as possible. I have other types of grafting tape and parafilm but if you pull too hard it rips, where as I find the teflon you can crank down on it better.

The rootstock pointing towards the miracle grow circle is crazy looking.

The rootstock pointing towards the miracle grow circle is crazy looking.

yeah that was one of the pear rootstock, the apple root stock looked good the pear were all a little weird I guess, I had to cut another branch like that off

I made a smaller version raised bed like crazyed, I noticed we have lows of 27 and 20 the next few days, can I put them in or wait till no more frost

I made a smaller version raised bed like crazyed, I noticed we have lows of 27 and 20 the next few days, can I put them in or wait till no more frost

Let them heal inside, for 3-4 weeks then slowly show them to light then put them outside. I did my first batch this year on 3/15, I won't be putting them in light until maybe 2 weekends from now, then 2 outside in buckets for 2, then into the nursery around May 1st.

Let them heal inside, for 3-4 weeks then slowly show them to light then put them outside. I did my first batch this year on 3/15, I won't be putting them in light until maybe 2 weekends from now, then 2 outside in buckets for 2, then into the nursery around May 1st.
Mine healed about 2 nights in dark basement then I brought them up in the buckets and put them in my living room near the windows and so far looks like 40 out of 50 showing some green. I bumped 2 others and may have ruined them but waiting to see. I think the early shift to warmer temps helped my success rate

Good luck, they look good! I can't seem to get a really flat sloping cut either. hoping to tape can pull them together

If you can see light between them, they probably wont take. They might take if the cambium is touching root to scion. I would regraft any that had light showing, looks like you have plenty of room to do so on those roots. Check out the other grafting post and my reply about knife sharpening. It starts there. Ben

How long does it usually take to see if it's going to take. Or die

If some grafts look to be failures you can try and graft those ones why the others are healing still in the same year? Why has this thought never crossed my mind?

You can bud graft them later, but you lose this years growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will re graft a few later this week if a few of mine don't wake up. I successfully re grafted last year with a few early failures need to make sure the scion wood still has good green cambium