Mn gun opener

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Zone 1 has been awful. Haven’t talked to anyone that’s even seen -a- deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haven’t been to the family land up there this fall but the cell cams tell a sad tale. Action was pretty hot yesterday at my place in SE zone 1. Saw 4 bucks, put crosshairs on a couple but safety stayed on. My neighbors had no such restraint 😂

1 deer saw/shot by our party of 7. Small 8 pointer. No tracks, no shit, no scrapes.
DPA 197

1 deer saw/shot by our party of 7. Small 8 pointer. No tracks, no shit, no scrapes.
DPA 197. It was the only deer that had been shot at the Big Fish when we went to eat last night.

I wonder if zone 1 will be down 22% in harvest for what seems like the sixth year in a row?

Give me a 30,000’ view of what the issue is up there? Wolves, winters, habitat, hunter pressure?

Movement on mine in central MN yesterday was as good as it's been in several years. Where I'm sitting out by Wilmar right now is as slow as I've seen in several years.

Movement on mine in central MN yesterday was as good as it's been in several years. Where I'm sitting out by Wilmar right now is as slow as I've seen in several years.
I think a lot of deer got shot yesterday in central MN! Heard more shots yesterday than last two openers combined.

Shows how truly spoiled some of us are
As someone living in MN but owning land and hunting in MO, I absolutely appreciate the difference in quality of deer hunting.

Also, we have had three years of drought in a row. Most of the deer biologists have commented on being able to measure differences in antler and body mass in drought years. I am sure this rings true for overall herd numbers too.

Also, we have had three years of drought in a row. Most of the deer biologists have commented on being able to measure differences in antler and body mass in drought years. I am sure this rings true for overall herd numbers too.

I could definitely see drought having some impact on body condition entering winter. Up north it feels like how late spring comes is the big one though. Usually plenty of food once it thaws but how late in the year is it and how run down are the deer by the time they actually start getting good calories/nutrients again. My memory is a bit foggy but i feel like northern MN was lush with moisture last year and dry in '21.

I've only got 2 cell cam pics this year of the buck that i think was the northern MN target buck in '21 and '22 and his rack looks to be a significant step down from last year. I'd be surprised if he's older than 6 and likely 5.

I think we underestimate the impact of insect load on survival.

The bugs in Minnesota are legend.

I've got scrapes everywhere. Never saw a deer. Youth hunts maybe got the deer only moving at night? Usually see 8-10 deer almost every day for several years now. Not a single deer spotted this year. Odd weather year for sure here.

Our family of 5 saw a few deer over the weekend, but it was very slow. My grandson shot a nubbin buck late yesterday afternoon to get some meat on our pole. He and his dad passed on a basket 6 pointer that our neighbors shot on sight. Little shooting in our area. I stopped at the Gull Lake CWD inspection station on the way home to get our deer tested (looked healthy) nd I was the only vehicle at the place.

It was a good opener in the south east. Neighbors got one of my target bucks. 163 green. If half of our 3 y/o make it next year will be exciting.

Move the firearm season outside of the rut and the deer numbers will increase. A few years of pain for long term gain.