Mn gun opener

I think it's safe to say the deer herd in zone one is now in free fall. It's time to close the season for one year and assert our rights under the tenth amendment and declare federal wolf protection unconstitutional.

Wolves are killing machines that will and do thrill kill. Anyone that thinks they only kill the weak, sick, and old is dumb. They do have a place in nature but need to be severely controlled.

I know here in Idaho ( lemhi county) we had a dramatic whitetail decline. This was two years ago. It was attributed to a diseases, perhaps EHD.

My old Ford tractor seems the best way to get close to the surviving ones. They don’t even look up when I approach!

I think it's safe to say the deer herd in zone one is now in free fall. It's time to close the season for one year and assert our rights under the tenth amendment and declare federal wolf protection unconstitutional.

Its really hard to be as incompetent as the MN DNR. They couldn't conduct an accurate animal population assessment if there were 2 deer standing in a 20x20 pen. They horribly inflate the deer numbers and they lie about the REAL wolf and bear numbers. Its all deliberate and intentional. I haven't got to even hunt yet this season and it doesn't sound like I should waste my time. Phucking horrible incompetent pricks. They can all go to hell. Some of us are sick and tired of this pathetic shit sandwich.

"There's nothing we can do." What a line of complete BULLSHIT. Hope I get to use my wolf tag.

Seems ironic.. Everyone talking about bad hunting but yet all the articles hoping to pump up the numbers of deer killed.

Has anyone that hunts North of Brainerd got any positive results to share. Two of my nieghbors that hunt near Emily are looking for a new place to go.....after 50 years in that same area. They did not see a rub or a scrape or a deer in three days.....and they spend full days on stand. Just wolves howling at night.

I told them to get closer to more people.....because there is better food near people.....and it keeps the wolves a bit farther away. Dunno......deer hunting on northern Public land is the chitz these days.
I was up by Outing/Emily for at least a week this summer . I never saw a deer. We usually see them on walks, near town etc.. Not a one !

Its really hard to be as incompetent as the MN DNR. They couldn't conduct an accurate animal population assessment if there were 2 deer standing in a 20x20 pen. They horribly inflate the deer numbers and they lie about the REAL wolf and bear numbers. Its all deliberate and intentional. I haven't got to even hunt yet this season and it doesn't sound like I should waste my time. Phucking horrible incompetent pricks. They can all go to hell. Some of us are sick and tired of this pathetic shit sandwich.

"There's nothing we can do." What a line of complete BULLSHIT. Hope I get to use my wolf tag.
Your right. I've come to the conclusion that the DNR has zero "good impact" on our game animals and lots of "bad impact" on our sport. I do not much care what they say anymore or what license or programs they push. I think we can make a better game manager for my area than the DNR does.....by a wide margin. Other than collect money for themselves and some bullshict programs they administer (wolves, bears, elk, moose.....that only the Indians can hunt).....what tangible good have they provided for us? Shameful outfit IMO.

MN outdoor news cuffs and collars sections with reports from all the game wardens is always interesting on deer opener weeks. Lots of hunters complaining about wolves, busted for baiting, trespassing, and getting tagging violations..

I decided to check on the progress in my zone of 172. Last year, total harvest was 1,772 deer. You can look up your zone total in this report:

View attachment 59396

Through today, we're at 770. Judging by how fast everyone pulled out this week, we're not going to make up the other 1,002 to stave off another double digit percentage decline in deer. You can view your zone harvest through today at:

View attachment 59397
I harvested a 2.5 yo 6 point with my (vertical) bow the Friday before gun opener in 172. I brought it to Emily meats, and they said almost every archery deer was taken by crossbow. I know that’s hearsay, but it’s what they told me. They also had a decent number from the youth hunt.
FWIW, this is the 1st deer I’ve harvested up there in the 5 years I’ve been trying, letting em go to grow hasn’t seemed to be working. Also, this was on public land.

MN outdoor news cuffs and collars sections with reports from all the game wardens is always interesting on deer opener weeks. Lots of hunters complaining about wolves, busted for baiting, trespassing, and getting tagging violations..
This was taken not far from my set up. Wolf or coyote?
67B44CEE-F083-41B5-97E6-C941AEC26E0A.jpeg

Talked to another neighbor today. They are 0-5 on people having seen a deer this season. I hunted yesterday and this morning and heard two shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coyote

My zone took 1,772 last year. Just six years ago, almost 5,000. Through Thursday, we're at 1,078.

Every camp within a mile of me was empty this weekend. No trucks, no generators, no dogs, gates closed. I drove back to town on Saturday morning, and only saw 4 trucks parked along the road over 10 miles. Can't say I heard more than 2 shots this weekend.

My zone took 1,772 last year. Just six years ago, almost 5,000. Through Thursday, we're at 1,078.

Every camp within a mile of me was empty this weekend. No trucks, no generators, no dogs, gates closed. I drove back to town on Saturday morning, and only saw 4 trucks parked along the road over 10 miles. Can't say I heard more than 2 shots this weekend.
I haven't read the whole thread, but do you have season totals for Mn? I was just looking at Wi numbers for opening weekend and the DNR is reporting 85,000. Curious as to how that compares. My county looks to be up from last year. Last year statewide was 205,000, from where we are now I don't see how we come even close to that this year.

I haven't read the whole thread, but do you have season totals for Mn? I was just looking at Wi numbers for opening weekend and the DNR is reporting 85,000. Curious as to how that compares. My county looks to be up from last year. Last year statewide was 205,000, from where we are now I don't see how we come even close to that this year.
This was last updated Thursday. The forested region of the state is gonna report another enormous drop, so harvest has to be up quite a bit elsewhere, or they're just adjusting the numbers to where they need them.

1700488367893.png

I didn't hunt most of the weekend. I decided I should go out and sit the last afternoon yesterday. I did not want to. I was already pretty down in the dumps not having seen a deer during the entire gun season. I wasn't sure I could stomach another zero. Well, I got another zero.

I'm shaking it off, and doing the MN optimism thing this week. We are Teflon when it comes to disappointment. Look at what we've endured with the Twins, Vikings, fishing, and deer hunting. Saw dust starts flying on Thanksgiving day at 9am.

Last edited:
I didn't hunt most of the weekend. I decided I should go out and sit the last afternoon yesterday. I did not want to. I was already pretty down in the dumps not having seen a deer during the entire gun season. I wasn't sure I could stomach another zero. Well, I got another zero.

I'm shaking it off, and doing the MN optimism thing this week. We are Teflon when it comes to disappointment. Look at what we've endured with the Twins, Vikings, fishing, and deer hunting. Saw dust starts flying on Thanksgiving day at 9am.

Minnesota deer hunters sit back and take a nut kicking . Like Vikings fans it must be in our blood. The Vikings coaching staff is 100x better than the Minnesota DNR leadership however… it’s the worst managed state in the Midwest. Sad 😔!

The queens lost the last game do to poor coaching IMO.

Finally saw a live deer last night near Rogers.