Wisconsin Gun Opener Saturday

Slower opening morning in terms of gunshots heard. 50+ instead of 100+ normally hear in my area? First shot occurred 30 minutes prior to legal time, could barely see my feet, so not sure how that person could see a deer.... Still saw the usual amount of deer getting pushed around, we have high deer densities and see a ridiculous amount opening weekend in terms of quantity. Got lucky with a buck at noon that we believe is 6.5 years old based on a long history with it (neighbor actually had most the history). Added a few does to the harvest as well. IMG_3947.jpg

Last edited:
Sitting rt now. Haven’t seen a deer yet today, saw 5 doe’s yesterday, 1 half rack buck on Sunday that will be a shooter if he keeps his horns next year, and 10 does Saturday. Looks like my not shooting a gun buck will increase to 16 years. Tomorrow’s my last chance this season for a buck. But it’s been a fun deer season. I

I passed a chip shot on a smaller 8 point Sunday morning hoping my buddy would get a chance at him after having a missed opportunity Saturday afternoon. Only deer I've seen in 4 days.

I passed a chip shot on a smaller 8 point Sunday morning hoping my buddy would get a chance at him after having a missed opportunity Saturday afternoon. Only deer I've seen in 4 days.
That's a rough 4 days. Hard to stay motivated. Been there

Reminds me of many years up there in the river bottoms outside of passing the first buck I’d see. Never had any luck after opening day.

Reminds me of many years up there in the river bottoms outside of passing the first buck I’d see. Never had any luck after opening day.
Yea, passing a buck during gun season is not the norm. I had my reasons but living with some regret now.

I let a smaller buck pass opening morning at about 6:45, it was the only buck I saw. I am out now, but after this morning, I will only be gun hunting Sunday. Chances are that same buck won’t make it past me on Sunday. I would like one more for the freezer, and the does aren’t very plentiful this year either.

I let a smaller buck pass opening morning at about 6:45, it was the only buck I saw. I am out now, but after this morning, I will only be gun hunting Sunday. Chances are that same buck won’t make it past me on Sunday. I would like one more for the freezer, and the does aren’t very plentiful this year either.
That’s really sad that gun pressure is so intense that small bucks can’t survive beyond a year or two. That’s similar to many areas in Minnesota. Bummer.

So far looks like state wide gun harvest is down 16% from same time period in 2022. A total of 774,369 deer hunting licenses were purchased 421,525 were gun licenses.

Comparing 2023 to 2022, overall license sales for all weapons was only down 0.61%, gun licenses down 9%.

More weapons and longer seasons don't seem to be the answer to drive hunter participation and harvest.

That’s really sad that gun pressure is so intense that small bucks can’t survive beyond a year or two. That’s similar to many areas in Minnesota. Bummer.

Last winter put the hurting on deer up here. Very few shots, I have seen 5 deer in stand, which normally would be a slow afternoon. Bow hunting prior to the gun season sightings were way down as well, maybe 1 deer per sit, or none. I have also had to deal with wolves this year as well. As for 2yo bucks, they never were safe in my area. I pass on 1yo, but 2 yo is fair game, but to put that into perspective's I shot 1 buck in 10 years, 2 since I bought my land 21 years ago, so I am not out slaughtering the herd. It was all of the neighbors the last couple years.

My other no no is a doe with fawns, I wont shoot a doe if there is fawns with her. I also wont shoot deer once they herd up in my yard during the winters, they are like cattle at that point.

Last winter put the hurting on deer up here. Very few shots, I have seen 5 deer in stand, which normally would be a slow afternoon. Bow hunting prior to the gun season sightings were way down as well, maybe 1 deer per sit, or none. I have also had to deal with wolves this year as well. As for 2yo bucks, they never were safe in my area. I pass on 1yo, but 2 yo is fair game, but to put that into perspective's I shot 1 buck in 10 years, 2 since I bought my land 21 years ago, so I am not out slaughtering the herd. It was all of the neighbors the last couple years.

My other no no is a doe with fawns, I wont shoot a doe if there is fawns with her. I also wont shoot deer once they herd up in my yard during the winters, they are like cattle at that point.
You shouldn't have to explain why or why not you decide to shoot any deer to anyone. Shoot what makes you happy, or leave it alone if that makes you happy.

I don't know, I like to hear the differing viewpoints of why people do what they do. If nobody ever explained anything it would be boring. Nothing wrong w/ taking any deer in a legal matter. Everyone's hunting situation is different.

I don't know, I like to hear the differing viewpoints of why people do what they do. If nobody ever explained anything it would be boring. Nothing wrong w/ taking any deer in a legal matter. Everyone's hunting situation is different.
Exactly my point.

4W ... thanks for explaining how you approached this. Everyone is in a different situation and sharing helps provide perspective. Sounds like you are taking a reasonable approach.

Good luck the rest of the season!

20231122_132043.jpg
Have to head to the in-laws for turkey day tomorrow, giving it one last shot this afternoon over the food.

Jeez that's a nice field. What do you have planted in it? Corn?
D4 drought in SW WI was hell on the corn, but there's a few ears in there, no rain for two months so I stopped spraying it. First year Switchgrass strip down the middle, then sections of brassicas, clover/alfalfa, oats/peas/beans/radish and everything got topped with about 500 lbs of rye this fall.

Last year the food ran out by late December and we took 6 doe/fawn during the holiday hunt. Plan to do the same again this year to cut down on the browse pressure.

D4 drought in SW WI was hell on the corn, but there's a few ears in there, no rain for two months so I stopped spraying it. First year Switchgrass strip down the middle, then sections of brassicas, clover/alfalfa, oats/peas/beans/radish and everything got topped with about 500 lbs of rye this fall.

Last year the food ran out by late December and we took 6 doe/fawn during the holiday hunt. Plan to do the same again this year to cut down on the browse pressure.
Looks great! What county are you in?