Live from the stand thread

One last hunt of the year. Had been after this deer for two weeks as he was coming to a standing bean field. Turned out to be a pretty decent year. Cold front made him slip up.
7e56eda37ab1ab76273ae2da5fe7966b.jpg
4a322fa54d0ae1931d999b83e87a02f4.jpg
816bba674f525908dfbbabaca4a68d6c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Congrats! He's a dandy.

A January buck.... awesome!

Holy Browtines Batman!!! That’s a great buck, congrats.

That's a heck-of-a-way to wrap up the season, Booner !! Killer brow tines. They even match in their shape with those curves. Wall hanger.

That's a heck-of-a-way to wrap up the season, Booner !! Killer brow tines. They even match in their shape with those curves. Wall hanger.
I have been telling my wife the same thing about the wall hanger. It seems that every deer gets harder and harder to convince her that it is one.

Great buck! Makes all those cold sits worth it.

Well, I sat my last 3 sits of the season.

We had a cold front move through this weekend. Lows in the upper teens and low 20’s... I figured this would get the deer up and moving, but as has proved the case all year, these Texas deer don’t move during cold snaps. After reviewing my camera cards today, it looks like they stay hunkered down for a good 3 days every time temps drop this low. I didn’t see a single deer with 18 hours on stand in 2 days.

This buck taunted me all season, showing up either the morning before or morning after several times. I’m not good at aging on the hoof, but I think he is fairly young (3.5 based on a post rut physique?). Big tall G2’s with a BIG kicker on the left one. A little bonus drop tine to boot.

Hopefully he shows back up next year looking just as good.
0a207422d924eaeb45921563cbb2bc2a.jpg

2e395f1337b8c19961b24913402e5f90.jpg

5a1721911b9d1741222a7810b8d6a227.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Testing to see if I can post GIF’s
e86e9e69ca288ff45f242a79f7aa91b5.jpg

We had a cold front move through this weekend. Lows in the upper teens and low 20’s... I figured this would get the deer up and moving, but as has proved the case all year, these Texas deer don’t move during cold snaps. After reviewing my camera cards today, it looks like they stay hunkered down for a good 3 days every time temps drop this low. I didn’t see a single deer with 18 hours on stand in 2 days.

This buck taunted me all season, showing up either the morning before or morning after several times. I’m not good at aging on the hoof, but I think he is fairly young (3.5 based on a post rut physique?). Big tall G2’s with a BIG kicker on the left one. A little bonus drop tine to boot.

Tarsal staining and a deep chest post rut would have that deer at 4.5 in IL. Have any pics during the rut or immediately prerut?

Tarsal staining and a deep chest post rut would have that deer at 4.5 in IL. Have any pics during the rut or immediately prerut?

438f9dca4335cafcd066f5531a0e13b7.jpg

This is right at peak rut, but a night pic. I always find it harder with night time pics.

I can see how my age guess was a year low...

I’m thinking low/mid 140’s?

Man he looks better than low 140's when I do my fuzzy math you're close but a tad low.

Fuzzy math =
Right side G2-12", G3-10, drop tine-3" (let's come back to this). = 25"
Left side G2-10", G3-10", G4-5", kicker-6" = 31" total= 56"
Brows are hard to read let's say 2 4/8"=5" total 61"

For an 8 add 90" (you get worse H#'s on an 8)
For a 10 add 100"
Since he's in the middle I'm using 95, making him gross 156.

Back to the drop tine. Don't know if this could officially be a G4??? Never had to score one so I never looked into it. If so I'm adding the full 100 and he grosses 161

Field scoring I'm usually on the high side but even if I cut 5"'s out he's still grossing 150 on the low end.

Find his sheds and check my math.......

Man he looks better than low 140's when I do my fuzzy math you're close but a tad low.

Fuzzy math =

For a 10 add 100"

Back to the drop tine. Don't know if this could officially be a G4??? Never had to score one so I never looked into it. If so I'm adding the full 100 and he grosses 161

Field scoring I'm usually on the high side but even if I cut 5"'s out he's still grossing 150 on the low end.

Man, I would love to find his sheds!!! But, the property I have access to is only 10 or so acres of huntable ground, and none of it is bedding :-( maybe I’ll get lucky and he will drop them when jumping a fence or something!

Is there a way to post a video without using YouTube? I tried to load a GIF, but it didn’t work. All the daytime pics are pulled from 10 second videos.

Last edited:
Man, I would love to find his sheds!!! But, the property I have access to is only 10 or so acres of huntable ground, and none of it is bedding :-( maybe I’ll get lucky and he will drop them when jumping a fence or something!

Is there a way to post a video without using YouTube? I tried to load a GIF, but it didn’t work. All the daytime pics are pulled from 10 second videos.

Not sure, I haven't tried yet. Ill poke around tonight and see what I can find.

Easiest way to a big score is tall tines, and that buck does have some tall ones.

And congrats to Booner21 on a great buck. I've never seen brows like that on a deer in the wild. Just at the IL deer classic.

Not sure, I haven't tried yet. Ill poke around tonight and see what I can find.

I just decided to make an unlisted video on YouTube so that the only way it is seen is if I post the link (people don’t see it when they go to my account). There’s several people who know my YouTube and know the areas I hunt. Both of these guys are phenomenal for the area, and I don’t want any more company hunting them.

Here is 6 10 second trailcam videos strung together

And after reviewing my videos from last year, I think this may be him from almost exactly a year ago.... looks like same rack structure minus the kickers.

Live from a ground blind. We have a extended metro season in Wisconsin. Not my ideal place to hunt but it gets me out on this pretty afternoon. First ever sit in a pop up, kinda cozy but I feel out of my element not being in a tree. Then again it's weird driving towards populated areas to hunt one acre parcels

Attachments

• 20180115_161729.jpg
    20180115_161729.jpg
    576.3 KB · Views: 27
Nice Deer!

Fuzzy math =

For a 10 add 100"

I also strongly believe that that deer is closer to 160 than 140.

What is a mature deer dressed weight there that always throws me off I am used to looking at IL deer which may be drastically different.

Last edited: