Live from the stand thread

Yep, he looks pretty swelled up..

This guy is back....him I will try and shoot if given the chance.

khPyab1.jpg

Day #3 of our rifle hunt. Time to separate the men from the boys. 90% of the hunters won't hunt again until Thanksgiving if it all. I've done well Monday-Tuesday in years past.
View attachment 15765
How you doing separating yourself from the rest of us ?

How you doing separating yourself from the rest of us ?
Lol. "We" got a doe tonight. My buddy shot it first and then it came past me. I dropped her. She has a hole through her lungs and a hole about 24" back from there. Drinks are flowing and stories are flying about whose shot hit where.

First deer he has seen in 24 hours of hunting. Pops also saw his first tonight but didn't get a shot off. I passed a spike and a doe opening morning and a doe and a fawn midday today. Pretty slow overall for us.

Lol. "We" got a doe tonight. My buddy shot it first and then it came past me. I dropped her. She has a hole through her lungs and a hole about 24" back from there. Drinks are flowing and stories are flying about whose shot hit where.

First deer he has seen in 24 hours of hunting. Pops also saw his first tonight but didn't get a shot off. I passed a spike and a doe opening morning and a doe and a fawn midday today. Pretty slow overall for us.

If you’re buddy is further than 100 yards from you I’d say you got the lung shot. Congrats on the doe.

Yesterday afternoon my son texted me and said he has a bear laying in his food plot eating, and sent me a picture of it. He said if it tries to climb his stand he is shooting it.
8a68cacb595ab170b413bbfab41e01ed.jpg

5 minutes later he sends me a picture of the beer through his scope, and says it is wrecking his hunting, and it’s pissing him off.
fbad071f1b8a1f897e38d2c418910043.jpg

Then a few minutes later he shoots, then he didn’t text me for a while. I asked him if we got a new rug for the Cabin? So then he says nope, but he shot a nice doe, and sends me this.
e62fac36216872395e3df1b3674885a3.jpg

He said the bear ran off when he shot, but it came back like 1 minute later walking in on its tippy toes, and laid there and ate until dark. He made me go pick him and the deer up with the 4 wheeler. He didn’t want to get down from his stand, because the bear was still in the food plot when it got dark.

It’s memories and the stories like these that make deer camp worth it. Anyhow the big doe wasn’t as big when we got to it, he swore it wasn’t the big one he shot, but he also said it dropped in the spot he shot it. Oh well, tender meat! That makes 3 deer so for for our camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday I didn’t see a deer, after seeing a total of 7 through the weekend. Today is very windy, but not bad at all in my shack with most of the windows closed :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you got the deer, 4W. ^^^^^ Bears can sure ruin a deer hunt. I've had deer coming in toward my tree stand in archery season a few times and had bears come by and scare the deer away. I'm glad your son got a shot at the doe. Season sounds good so far. :emoji_thumbsup:

My two brother-in-laws both got small bucks on opening day on public land. I can only hunt Monday through Thursday, didn't see anything yesterday. Probably should have stayed in bed this morning as windy as it is. hunting from a chair on the ground but a little afraid a tree might blow over on me!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

That looks just like a turkey blind I made years ago that I still use! ^^^^^^^^^^^

Well Bueller the numbers are down for the first weekend your mission was to separate the boys from the men let’s see the big buck

Well Bueller the numbers are down for the first weekend your mission was to separate the boys from the men let’s see the big buck
Not many "big" bucks around my parts but I did almost get a buck around 0700 this morning. The plan was to catch something headed back to the bedding area and it worked but unfortunately I only saw him for a second at about 75 yards before he disappeared into the thick stuff, chip shot from the stand I WASN'T in :emoji_rage:. Cold out there this morning. Hopefully tonight is the night.

Bueller - ^^^^^ Isn't that usually the case ?? They show up where you would normally be ?? :emoji_rage: Been there brother ............:emoji_disappointed:

What really bites is that with our population here I typically only get one opportunity at a buck during each gun season. Don't cash in on that opportunity, don't get a buck. Hopefully this year is different.

My son had one give him the slip this morning too. We're back to sharp sticks here.

Practically one year to the minute of when I got my buck last year, best one in recent history for our camp. I'm in the same stand, which happens to be the one a buck walked past this morning on his way into the bedroom. Hopefully he takes the same route out before dark. After tonight I drive 220 miles home for an 8 hour work day and Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws before turning around and coming back in time to hunt Friday afternoon.
IMG_20171122_141249.jpg

Practically one year to the minute of when I got my buck last year, best one in recent history for our camp. I'm in the same stand, which happens to be the one a buck walked past this morning on his way into the bedroom. Hopefully he takes the same route out before dark. After tonight I drive 220 miles home for an 8 hour work day and Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws before turning around and coming back in time to hunt Friday afternoon.
View attachment 15788

Open stand or box blind? Looks like a cozy bedroom on a cold day.

Oh, and on the last part, you're crazy! Good luck!

Open stand or box blind? Looks like a cozy bedroom on a cold day.

Oh, and on the last part, you're crazy! Good luck!
17ft open ladder stand. And the wind is blowing (away from the bedding) pretty good, brrrr.