Live from the stand thread

I am down and in the house. Never saw a deer. Saved my best stand for tonight. Havent been in there in a week waiting on the wind to be right. Should catch them leaving the bedding area.

Getting ready to walk in. Pretty sure I broke a toe earlier today so the ladder going up may suck. People reported chasing last night, and I know a giant got shoulder shot last night and couldnt be recovered. Hoping for action.

Sitting off the tip of a finger, overlooking the cover crops soybeans that ripened beautifully despite being frosted several times. Opted to sit my dad's ground blind because the wind is right and thinking that my cough will be muffled in the blind somewhat. The deer relate to this tip really well. At least before sticking the blind in here. So we'll see what happens!

20191103_141337.jpg

My favorite stand. Finally got the right wind.

Can’t make it out very well, but when I climbed up and settled in I noticed there is doe in the center of this picture laying on the edge of the clover. 3A84C06E-A710-4972-80FD-56F44BC640E0.png

D5E43D48-94CF-4123-B529-C934CE9A3864.png

Haven’t been here since early September. This was a nice surprise

4A11937D-9081-45F2-AD63-7E80AB15BAE8.png

1st deer arrived. A short tined 10 with a decent spread and good brows. I'm on the fence whether he's a shooter or not. Probably a 4.5 yr old. He's 100 yards off.

20191103_144517.jpg

Bill you're supposed to put the rubbing posts about 20 yards out. That's not a good angle.

Still waiting to see the first mammal. Pretty nice afternoon in the stand, and I dressed perfectly for it.

Ill probably regret it but let a yearling doe walk. Had her at 11 yds but she kept looking back. After she leaves here comes the same little forky from the other night nose down like a bloodhound.

Ill probably regret it but let a yearling doe walk. Had her at 11 yds but she kept looking back. After she leaves here comes the same little forky from the other night nose down like a bloodhound.

Nah. It was a good move. Not your fault the big guy isn't keeping tabs on his women. Could have been a shooter following her.

1st deer arrived. A short tined 10 with a decent spread and good brows. I'm on the fence whether he's a shooter or not. Probably a 4.5 yr old. He's 100 yards off.

View attachment 26928

Good you managed to get out! That's a shooter in my book.

Bit of video from our Florida gun season-opening weekend... no shots fired as I wasn't ready to stir up the "sanctuary" feel I try so hard to provide the deer even if it meant giving a small black yote a pass... for the moment. That and enjoyed simply filming all the pre-rut interactions. With our gun season lasting until mid-Jan, no mad rush to end the season just quite yet.

And for anyone who takes the time to watch, love to know thoughts on whether the horns on the bigger buck who spent much of the time in the plot have the ability to be any more normal going forward? Funny thing is its left side (right side looking at clip) was a wonky long spike last year while the other side was nice with 4 points. Pedicle on its right (left looking at it) seems weirdly formed now too. Not a big believer in "culling free-roaming bucks, but if knew it wouldn't improve with time might put a family member or friend on it.

And Bill if you see this, even more confident it's "Lucky" than before, as last year "Lucky" wasn't a resident bachelor buck but showed up and parked just in time to feed nearly constantly in my plots, and if indeed "Lucky" didn't bacheleor this year on my place but again showed up in time to spend about 75% of the time in front of my while I was sitting in the stand.

Last edited:
Awesome video @bigbendmarine. I don't have much of a population where I hunt so seeing multiple deer at a time interacting with each other is a rare occurrence.

Getting ready to walk in. Pretty sure I broke a toe earlier today so the ladder going up may suck. People reported chasing last night, and I know a giant got shoulder shot last night and couldnt be recovered. Hoping for action.
Fwiw toe is definitely broken
20191104_193545.jpg

Just not my day...had a coyote and a nice buck within 10 yards and just couldn't get a shot :( the buck only had to take one more step.

Attachments

• 20191105_084659.jpg
    20191105_084659.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 31
And for anyone who takes the time to watch, love to know thoughts on whether the horns on the bigger buck who spent much of the time in the plot have the ability to be any more normal going forward? Funny thing is its left side (right side looking at clip) was a wonky long spike last year while the other side was nice with 4 points. Pedicle on its right (left looking at it) seems weirdly formed now too. Not a big believer in "culling free-roaming bucks, but if knew it wouldn't improve with time might put a family member or friend on it.

I’d put a friend on him because you want to.

I can’t prove this but we had an old dude we called droopy last year. He was on the list because he was old and something was up with those antlers

800ED3AB-5902-4582-88EA-D994BFDF332A.jpeg

Can’t prove it but I believe this is droopy, this year.

6E77B16C-5C5A-48B2-BC94-2C7417C992F2.jpeg

Side note our youth hunter missed him and we haven’t gotten another pic :(.

Hopefully he wants to come home. :)

This afternoon. Sorry blurry video.
Wasn’t close enough to shoot but I didn’t hit the grunt to try and pull him in.