Let's eat some fresh 2019 apples

From seedling or rootstock. Heck if I know.
f0b974b3bfc88bf3c2b464647ede1403.jpg

I thought they tasted pretty good. My wife said they were too sharp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tull.jpg

Tull apple. Only apple on a two year old B118 tree. A milder flavored apple when compared to a King David or Myers Royal Limbertwig it still left me wanting to eat another one. An enjoyable eating experience.

Tull.jpg

Tull apple. Only apple on a two year old B118 tree. A milder flavored apple when compared to a King David or Myers Royal Limbertwig it still left me wanting to eat another one. An enjoyable eating experience.

How many varieties do you have?

With my seedlings and rootstocks, I don’t know how to even count them.

Hey Art
Spent the morning going through my journals and come up with 227 varieties I've planted mostly in the past 5 years. About a dozen of those are just limb grafts. Yeh that apple bug bit me bad. :emoji_fearful::emoji_fearful::emoji_fearful:

Hey Art
Spent the morning going through my journals and come up with 227 varieties I've planted mostly in the past 5 years. About a dozen of those are just limb grafts. Yeh that apple bug bit me bad. :emoji_fearful::emoji_fearful::emoji_fearful:

I figured I have about 50, but I forgot limb grafts .

I was at camp this past weekend, the 26th and 27th for a work detail. Goldrush and Crimson Topaz apples tasted pretty great right off the trees. Both had fly-speck and sooty blotch - neither are resistant to those cosmetic defects - but they tasted fantastic! Deer tracks & droppings indicate the deer don't mind the surface blemishes.

Our yellowish-green apple older tree is loaded again this year. It seems to be a biennial bearer of heavy fruit loads, and off-years are much less fruit. But as last year, deer are hammering those drops from it. Another scrape has appeared under this tree and the amount of droppings around the tree is significant. I mailed scion from this tree to several forum members a few years ago. Hopefully they'll have good luck with it for a deer draw as we have.

I have to report that our Franklin Cider crabs and Winter Wildlife crabs are really great growers. They both do NOT hold back on growing!!

I was at camp this past weekend, the 26th and 27th for a work detail. Goldrush and Crimson Topaz apples tasted pretty great right off the trees. Both had fly-speck and sooty blotch - neither are resistant to those cosmetic defects - but they tasted fantastic! !!

I read an article where stressed apples, like those with diseases, taste better and are better for you. The stress produces more sugars and more antioxidants in them.

Today, also read, that you should eat the whole apple including the core as it has more beneficial bacteria in it.

All true or not, heck if I know.

Hey Art

I am roughly about 65 named varieties and a bunch of unnamed seedlings.

30 newer apple and crab varieties here, about 15 un-named seedlings, and 1 B-118 rootstock still growing out. The B-118 rootstock has 1 1/4" red crabs on it.

30 newer apple and crab varieties here, about 15 un-named seedlings, and 1 B-118 rootstock still growing out. The B-118 rootstock has 1 1/4" red crabs on it.

How do they taste? Can someone get a picture for you to post?

When do the b118 drop?

I haven't tried a B-118 apple yet. No idea on taste. The "tree" itself is only about 4 or 5 ft. tall - more of a bush actually. I pruned it a few years ago to get a central leader going upward and it hasn't happened. It looks like a roundish ball on a stick.

It's still holding most of it's apples as of 11-1-2019. It's in the ground 5 years now. If it doesn't get tall & woody, the bears will shred it.

I haven't tried a B-118 apple yet. No idea on taste. The "tree" itself is only about 4 or 5 ft. tall - more of a bush actually. I pruned it a few years ago to get a central leader going upward and it hasn't happened. It looks like a roundish ball on a stick.

It's still holding most of it's apples as of 11-1-2019. It's in the ground 5 years now. If it doesn't get tall & woody, the bears will shred it.

My two B118 are almost 8 foot tall and no fruit yet. They are not bush like.

I have no idea why this B-118 is so stunted. It's in the orchard with all the other trees & it just doesn't want to put on any height.

Where are all those late drop variety pics!?
i wanna see some enterprise and AB, keeners! Lol

I didn't take any pix, but last week at camp work detail I picked our first Arkansas Black. I cut it up into slices and all the guys liked it. Pretty tasty!! We have Goldrush, Ark. Black, Crimson Topaz, Enterprise, Kerr, Winter Wildlife crab, Nova Scotia crab, and our unknown yellowish-green late hanging apple still with fruit.

Where are all those late drop variety pics!?
i wanna see some enterprise and AB, keeners! Lol
Here you go.

Keener's Seedling on B9 rootstock. Most are still hanging tight.
Keeners-Seedling.jpg

Pulled one off for a taste. Not real exciting but not bad either.
Keener-s-Seedling.jpg

Found a King David still hanging with some bird damage. Not as crisp as a couple of weeks ago but still a great apple.
King-David.jpg

One Black Oxford hanging tight, only one on tree so I left it hang.
Black-Oxford.jpg

And the old wild Sinkhole apple will hold apples until the end of January.
Sinkhole.jpg

A sauce and pie apple no disease or bug problems.
Sinkhole-apple.jpg

Here you go.

Keener's Seedling on B9 rootstock. Most are still hanging tight.
Keeners-Seedling.jpg

Pulled one off for a taste. Not real exciting but not bad either.
Keener-s-Seedling.jpg

Found a King David still hanging with some bird damage. Not as crisp as a couple of weeks ago but still a great apple.
King-David.jpg

One Black Oxford hanging tight, only one on tree so I left it hang.
Black-Oxford.jpg

And the old wild Sinkhole apple will hold apples until the end of January.
Sinkhole.jpg

A sauce and pie apple no disease or bug problems.
Sinkhole-apple.jpg
Thanks Richard! Gives me hope as I start over with farm orchard!

Richard
That far clearing in my future Apple orchard at the new farm. Just planted first dozen or so apple trees there! Several are from your scions! Have some more coming from Chris to add to it this spring!

Attachments

• 154ECD40-CB96-4FD0-AED4-BD88FD99D62B.jpeg
    154ECD40-CB96-4FD0-AED4-BD88FD99D62B.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 16