Crimson Clover tips

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Never monocroped crimson clover before. I got a ton of crimson clover to spread. Too late in the year to frost seed. Would like to do a spring and maybe a fall plot with them. Probably oats n clover and maybe some brassicas in a spring plot, where I am not going to do much if anhthing for a fall plot, maybe throw some more seed, but no additional spraying or mowing likely. One spot will be broken ground in poor soil this spring. Old log landing on sandy soil. Never did a heavier dos of gly for a total weed kill, beside a light does for clover plot maintenance. What too early for spraying and whats too late for planting this crop?

Likely do this over a long weekend. I would spray then mow n cultipack. Would you mow 1st or spray 1st? Usually sprayed then come back next weekend to seed n mow, but might want to consolidate to one time if possible.

Other places I focus on hunting more than others I'd like to try a fall planting, probably spring plant in that spot this year too. Is there a chance of the crimson clover over wintering? I am now zone 4 what was zone 3. Whats a good time to target for nice clover color and/or good overwintering chances. Likely do clover with a bit of oats, rye, a bit of brassicas too. These spots have established clovers in them, so I might not add other clover seed.

Also doing this at the home plot. Can crimson clover tolerate monthly owing and still make lots of those nice red seed heads.

Also, how does this clover stand up to occasional ATV traffic. I get some traffic in an snowmobile trail I put foodplto seed in. I have done well with vetch, oats, wheat, rye, and clovers without any major problems. Generally do not till the middle section, so it stays naturally lower to encourage traffic in the same lane.

Got to admit, using this more for the nice look than anything else, but still a good soil builder and food provder.

LOVE crimson clover, but should add I'm LONG way from your neck of the woods... I live in North Florida.

Here's my take on it... gorgeous clover, BUT best when grown with other crops and often with clover type mixes as it's a great early spring offering but doesn't last that long / is the first to die off.

At my place when mowed right it reseeds AWESOMELY, but I do NOT cut it every month. I have stands growing well that have been reseeding for over 10 years, they're starting to flower right now (mid-March) and even if mixed with grass/weeds I won't touch it with the mower until after it dries out / goes completely brown and dry to seed around early May. Once the seedheads are completely dry, I simply mow it a single time before a rain and try to make sure I don't wait too long lest I risk cutting into fawning season (had some close calls in the past when waited until late May/early June.

In our area I, again, like having mixed clover areas as arrowleaf produces even more plant mass than crimson and takes off just as the crimson is starting to decline. White clovers actually last the longest in our area as long as we don't have a bone dry summer, so I like having areas of white clover too.

Few pictures of spots of it growing on my place all from reseeding (it was growing on my place before I bought it).

040523 Tom Strutting Pond Road 2 (3).jpg
IMG_0464 (2).jpg
IMG_0520 (2).jpg

Last one shows one area I have where crimson grows with arrowleaf mixed in. Might should add I'm not a purist/perfectionist so none of the spots pictured have been touched with any type of spray to control grass/weed competition.

92565607_10222327290746616_2226223854668218368_o.jpg

Awesome pics. Seems spring early summer is best with it. How's fall? Critters have a liking towards it?

I agree, the white clovers seem to do best overall.

Also, whats the blue stuff growing behind that nice turkey. Lupine?

Deer at my place dont feed on it much - but they dont feed on much of anything in my food plots in spring. Everything in the woods and fields is green. The crimson clover is over with and gone come summer - when the deer really hit the clover hard

Deer at my place dont feed on it much - but they dont feed on much of anything in my food plots in spring. Everything in the woods and fields is green. The crimson clover is over with and gone come summer - when the deer really hit the clover hard
Similar experiences in GA. I hate it and can't wait to get rid of it. Still trying after 7 years. If you want organic matter, plant away, but our deer really didn't do much with it. I would need to go back and look, but these pics were 3 or 4 years after planting it once. Did I say I hate this stuff!

I really like to use Crimson in the spring/early summer here in Ohio. I use it for the nitrogen, then kill it and broadcast brassicas into it in the fall. I frost seeded it last year, and it didn't produce. I did some research and, unlike other clovers, it shouldn't be planted until there is no risk of frost. I will be waiting until mid-to-late May to put it down this year. Deer do browse it some, but turkeys seem to like it quite a bit.

VV

Awesome pics. Seems spring early summer is best with it. How's fall? Critters have a liking towards it?

I agree, the white clovers seem to do best overall.

Also, whats the blue stuff growing behind that nice turkey. Lupine?

Spring DEFINITELY better than early summer as North Florida goes. Goes to seed / is brown here by early May. Not sure about timing up your way, so probably best to ask locals about timing.

Can't swear it without checking next time I walk my place, but would bet small sum on blue flowers being Salvia lyrata (Lyreleaf Sage). Took this picture of some growing close to my barn yesterday.

DSCN6194.JPG

Finally, regarding loving / hating crimson clover.... I love it, but then again always been a sucker for pretty women too. 😉😂

All joking aside, I DO love the crimson red flowers lining my roads and field edges during the spring but it's not just that. As Victor Van Meter pointed out the turkeys DEFINITELY like visiting it.. Deer also use it at my place, nibbling on it as they use travel paths between wider variety food plot choices. But even if they didn't (and to SwampCat and Kdog's points, down south we start getting LOTS of natural browse options as early as mid to late February with green-up) I STILL would be a fan thanks to two factors for my area.

First it is ok with lower pH levels than many other planting options. I've got it growing in spots with pH levels in the lower to mid-5 ranges where it looks healthy as can be. Second, it's harnessing nitrogen at levels up to 150 pounds per acre (though lower pH can start to limit the nitrogen fixation). And as shared in my initial post, I'm NOT a purist doing much of ANY spraying to wipe out things I don't like so the fact that the crimson keeps reseeding in areas where it's otherwise competing against grasses and less desirable weeds I'm happy having it versus not having it. All that shared, I never have planted it alone as a monoculture food plot -- instead have mixed it with either over clover mixes and / or planted it with oats, cereal rye, and/or triticale. As shared in earlier post, stands I have growing along field edges were on my place when I bought it and with my house being smack dab in the middle of my property I'm thankful to be able to enjoy the beauty it offers so early in the spring (and actually have some flowering even during our North Fllorida "winter" timeline / in week or so before spring officially begins).

Peak bloom often correlates with Easter in our area as well and allows me to mix with rain lilies that grow in road ditches for flower arrangements that my wife loves. 👍

Rain Lilies and Clover.jpg

It is my understanding that crimson is a good soil builder which is my main goal when I plant it. Am I incorrect?

I seem a little less excited to plant it now. I do have a few low fertility spots that could use some help. low pH snady soil low organic material.

Chance of the last spring 28 degree frost in old forge.. June 12th 10%, 50% may 21st, 90% april 29th.

At home 28 degree frost may 5th 10% chance, 50% april 22nd, 90% april 8th. Spread some rye in a new spot and covered it with about an inch of woodchips for organic material. Already 2-3 inches tall.