Planting in annual clover?

khizzle

Yearling... With promise
Short question is can I drill beans and clearfield sunflower into existing annual clover? I hoped to not kill the clover and take off some browse pressure for the beans / sunflowers so they could establish for the summer. But if they will shade out my summer crop I will take glyphosate to the fields first.

Last summer was my first year and I pretty much failed with my summer plots because I was late getting them in and with the drought I really struggled with weeds and the deer cleared everything before they could establish. I don’t have super high deer population but a decent level.

Now that I have some clover this spring I sprayed Octivio 3 weeks ago and hope that is working on the wheat and oats from last fall. Mowed yesterday in case I need another spray application before planting.

3852c5cfd03dc969a54f40d4621c8062.jpg

d462e889a25cb103cb941f361c6d7b13.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Short answer is yes, you can. You can then come back later and spray herbicide over your Roundup Ready beans and Clearfield sunflowers.

However, I am a little confused by your objectives. Are you growing forage beans, or are you growing ag beans? Are you growing sunflowers for forage or for the seeds for a dive field? Are you planting the sunflowers with the beans or separately?

Short answer is yes, you can. You can then come back later and spray herbicide over your Roundup Ready beans and Clearfield sunflowers.

However, I am a little confused by your objectives. Are you growing forage beans, or are you growing ag beans? Are you growing sunflowers for forage or for the seeds for a dive field? Are you planting the sunflowers with the beans or separately?

I was mainly just looking for summer forage for the deer and if I could get some doves in for the season that would be a bonus. I was planing to drill these as a mix, not really separately. It may not be the most well thought out plan as I’m a newbie trying to do a little bit of everything :) I was planning to go back layer with a fall plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks like a fairly thick stand of clover. ( Maybe it will look different once the herbicide knocks out the grasses ) I would think that the competition from the clover may be a bit much for beans and sunflowers. If it was White Dutch or Subterrainian you would more than likely be fine because of their low growing habits.

I Have never tried that so take it with a grain of salt. Your summer plots will not grow in the bag.

Can you use the same herbicides on your beans as you can use on your sunflowers? If not, then the herbicide resistant traits will not work together, and you will end up terminating one of your summer crops.

You could plant part of the field in sunflowers and part of the field in soybeans and spray each part with the respective herbicide it requires.

Are you planning to terminate your summer plot and plant a fall plot later?

There is a whole thread on this issue. Look at some stuff that @Foggy47 written.

In short, you’ll need to set the clover back with either tight mowing, or a light of Herbicide.

Are there any perennial clovers in there? If so, I would probably leave the clover. You can always plant grains into it in the fall. if you really want some, consider light discing or spraying strips and planning in those strips.

There is a whole thread on this issue. Look at some stuff that @Foggy47 written.

In short, you’ll need to set the clover back with either tight mowing, or a light of Herbicide.

Are there any perennial clovers in there? If so, I would probably leave the clover. You can always plant grains into it in the fall. if you really want some, consider light discing or spraying strips and planning in those strips.
Here is the name of the thread: (do a search)

Clover outcompetes my efforts for diversity??​

That looks like a fairly thick stand of clover. ( Maybe it will look different once the herbicide knocks out the grasses ) I would think that the competition from the clover may be a bit much for beans and sunflowers. If it was White Dutch or Subterrainian you would more than likely be fine because of their low growing habits.

I Have never tried that so take it with a grain of salt. Your summer plots will not grow in the bag.
Not true! I've had rye get wet in the bag and it was sprouting pretty good before I noticed.

Not me jasker I broadcasted 700 pounds last fall and have nothing to show for it. Uggg lolllll. Gotta laugh it but it's the truth

I think that's more with perennial clover though? I wonder if an annual would compete as heartily.