Let's eat some fresh 2019 apples

^^^^ That's a sight to see !! It's good you finally have some food on your place !! :emoji_astonished::emoji_rolling_eyes:

Are you seeing good numbers of deer lately?? Any on the hit list??

^^^^ That's a sight to see !! It's good you finally have some food on your place !! :emoji_astonished::emoji_rolling_eyes:

Are you seeing good numbers of deer lately?? Any on the hit list??

Bows, I had some good ones at both locations until we went into this long drought and 95 degree weather, but now it is mostly does and young bucks. Also, white oak acorns have started falling. My cameras are in hot, open locations, so pics have dropped. Looking forward to things changing so we can see what comes around again.

Bright note- I did notice today where some deer had been hammering my chestnuts, and there are gallons of them falling. Also, the apples and pears that are falling are being cleaned up as well. Best I can tell it is mostly the resident doe family groups that wouldn't leave if you threw dynamite at them.

Last edited:
Kieffer generally doesn't start falling until October, but the strong wind knocked a few big ones off today at the house. The taste is already good.

AiZ3xJl.jpg

As for your white oak acorn drop - we see the same exact thing here. When those babies start falling, deer sightings at food plots drop off big-time. Those sweet white oak acorns are candy and they definitely change the deer patterns. Lots of fat calories in those nuts.

I have a sense that your big boys are still around. With the smorgasbord at your places & the does that put down roots there - why wander off ??? Keep in contact with your taxi - I'll bet you'll need him.

As for your white oak acorn drop - we see the same exact thing here. When those babies start falling, deer sightings at food plots drop off big-time. Those sweet white oak acorns are candy and they definitely change the deer patterns. Lots of fat calories in those nuts.

I have a sense that your big boys are still around. With the smorgasbord at your places & the does that put down roots there - why wander off ??? Keep in contact with your taxi - I'll bet you'll need him.

Looks like you were right Bows:

C4abLP2.jpg

Last edited:
Look at the size of these Kieffers:

e6fMjrJ.jpg

kVZtUbY.jpg

Wow! Now that’s a Keiffer on steroids! You think it’s related to all the rain we had spring and summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Now that’s a Keiffer on steroids! You think it’s related to all the rain we had spring and summer?

Yes, that is exactly my theory. The vast majority of them were normal size, but a few were super sized like the two in the pictures above. We had awesome rain in the first part of the year, and by the time the drought hit (about 45 days ago) the fruit was pretty much formed. These are the largest Kieffer Pears I ever remember seeing.

This is my young Gallaway Pear. It isn't a large pear or even a pretty pear, but the taste is great and they are still hanging nicely. I think they will easily go into November as advertised. I'm out of state working right now, but this pic was taken last weekend.

mRHDaT8.jpg

King_David.jpg

King David with a tart, sweet juicy "knock your socks off" taste.

It resembles Frostbite. Have you compared their flavor?

Lord Lambourne:

20191017_173818.jpg
Really delicious. Almost a slight green grape flavor to it.

Greyphase - How is the King David for ease of care? Any headaches or special treatment/spraying? Your taste description sounds right up our alley.

Wow, Fedco has King David listed as Zone 4. Is that right?

Resembles Haralson, but the taste was slightly better. I only had one apple for comparison.

Pretty much disease free.
6a7a9d81cd11eff8afb1f764850bfc8d.jpg

Resembles Haralson, but the taste was slightly better. I only had one apple for comparison.

Pretty much disease free.
6a7a9d81cd11eff8afb1f764850bfc8d.jpg

And it produced one apple after a -40 winter.

End of GRIN report!

Greyphase - How is the King David for ease of care? Any headaches or special treatment/spraying? Your taste description sounds right up our alley.

No special treatment or spraying. Birds seem to like them more than my other apples, so I have some bird damage.