Let's eat some fresh 2019 apples

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Margret is coming in about 10 days earlier than normal. Some are ripe and the others not far behind. Nice, no spray early apple.

6XFsHMRh.jpg

MQCfMwZ.jpg

Man that’s really early. Hope they’re tasty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

My Franklin trees are now 3rd leaf and are large enough to allow them to produce this year. All of the Franklins set fruit this season. These trees show amazing growth and can't wait to take down the fencing to attract deer during the hunting season/s.

Attachments

• IMG_3514.JPG
    IMG_3514.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3515.JPG
    IMG_3515.JPG
    404.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3519.JPG
    IMG_3519.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 38
My Father-in-Law told me yesterday that I needed to check my Bevan's Favorite tree. He said he ate the first ripe apple from it the day before. Sure enough - I checked it this morning and a few ripe apples had hit the ground.

The look a lot like Striped June, but the taste is very different. Bevan's is a good fresh eating apple and Striped June is more of a cooking apple - although my son does like to eat them right off the tree. Bevan's comes in about the time Striped June is finishing.

Bevan's in first pic and Striped June in second pic.

hVbVYS3.jpg

pbTSwz8.jpg

Last edited:
Jeez Native, I just finished hand thining all my trees yesterday, biggest was the size of a marble.

Both nice looking apples, Native. I have Bevan's Favorite growing on B9 on a trellis that has a few apples on this year. And have a one year old Caroline Red June which may or may not be the same as your Striped June. :)

Both nice looking apples, Native. I have Bevan's Favorite growing on B9 on a trellis that has a few apples on this year. And have a one year old Caroline Red June which may or may not be the same as your Striped June. :)

They could be the same. From what I've read, the one I have originally came from England. It is also known by the name "Margret."

Do the deer eat them?

Yes they do.

Cool. I'm trying to get multi-purpose apples and pears that ripen as early as possible. Bevan's favorite gets good reviews from a lot of people. I'm guessing they will do fine in Zone 6, but maybe not realistic for Zone 4?

Next apple starting to ripen - starting right now is Summer Champion. These are an excellent early apple for fresh eating or about anything else

Most of my apple trees are making big crops this year, but not this one. It had a big crop last year and slacking a little this year. I only had about 20 apples on the tree, and a bad storm got a bunch of them.

jaLqS82h.jpg

My Priscilla apples are just beginning to ripen. Many are still green and will ripen over the next few weeks, but several are ready now. I ate some today, and they were delicious. This one is at the top of my list for favorite eating apples that requires no spraying.

n4wKEEh.jpg

ghAYxde.jpg

txDCsKa.jpg

fQ8t3gHh.jpg

Betsey Deaton is ripening. I test tasted a few today, and they are excellent. These apples are long keepers so no big hurry in harvesting them. This is a tree that can get CAR and is a good example of a tree that does great despite CAR.

1GEKVswh.jpg

Let's have a change of pace and eat some fresh 2019 pears. Ayers are prime time right now.

I have two trees at the house that are close to 35 feet tall and one at the farm that is about 25 feet tall. All three loaded from top to bottom.

RTFQaea.jpg

8EYRe8h.jpg