All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold one in the NE tonight!

The 15 day forecast looks great here in northern NE. 60's during the days and nothing below 30 at night. We should see things progress nicely! I'm still holding at silver tip to a touch of green, but I expect that to change this weekend. Anyone else look at their trees lately?

We had a nice visit from my father (in the back of the car) and my sister. Dad is 89 years young and has never been to the orchard! He only lives about 15 miles away, but to him it might as well be a cross country trip! Glad he finally got to come see the orchard.

DSCN3017.JPG

I looked at my trees last night and they are pretty much the same as yours - most are showing a touch of green. This nice weather should wake them up!

Gotta love new toys!

Cider dispenser for parties ????

Awesome photo George. My trees silver tip to 1/2 inch green. Should be popping this weekend here. Might get to try this outView attachment 8707
That's the ticket , if you don't have a fungicide ap to make , probably use half as much inputs because your going to get much better coverage , or spray deposition , get er cranked up and shift it into high and go you will be surprised how much area you can cover fast . These machine also work well for foliar fertilizing or liquid calcium sprays . Practice with a load of water .

That's the ticket , if you don't have a fungicide ap to make , probably use half as much inputs because your going to get much better coverage , or spray deposition , get er cranked up and shift it into high and go you will be surprised how much area you can cover fast . These machine also work well for foliar fertilizing or liquid calcium sprays . Practice with a load of water .
Thanks for the advice. I will take the manual home tomorrow and spread it front to back. I hear a lot about calibration so I want to get it right. Can't wait to get out and try it Yes a new toy is always nice and let's see if we can dispense some hard cider from it and get the deer drunk so I can hit them lol

The 15 day forecast looks great here in northern NE. 60's during the days and nothing below 30 at night. We should see things progress nicely! I'm still holding at silver tip to a touch of green, but I expect that to change this weekend. Anyone else look at their trees lately?

We had a nice visit from my father (in the back of the car) and my sister. Dad is 89 years young and has never been to the orchard! He only lives about 15 miles away, but to him it might as well be a cross country trip! Glad he finally got to come see the orchard.

View attachment 8706

Looks to be silver tip to tight cluster. chestnut crab was the only tight cluster,

..........liberty and honeycrisp were half inch green, goldrush was green tip and Arkansas black and enterprise were silver tip to green tip. all the wild apples were also in these same various stages.

How far will it spray vertically for say mature B-118 trees?
Not sure yet. Haven't tried it or read manual but I think pretty far Wooduck convinced me it's a time saver and the way to go. Spraying has always been the least favorite part of my apple endeavor so I am hoping this makes it less of a burden

I built this puppy a couple years ago and I can stay inside the cab of my six series JD and spray
Everything. My guess is it isn't the most efficient when it come to volume of liquid used, but it will spray
1/2 way to the moon.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    669.2 KB · Views: 15
I built this puppy a couple years ago and I can stay inside the cab of my six series JD and spray
Everything. My guess is it isn't the most efficient when it come to volume of liquid used, but it will spray
1/2 way to the moon.
But can it spray trees

Yes. The hose reel has high preasure gun and it can be adjusted quite a bit. It does not cover like the one you just bought no doubt but it does a good job. For spraying plots the booms raise and lower on hydraulics from inside and I can adjust preasure and turn sprayer on and off from inside as well.

I was very disappointed to find two of my Liberty apples with sever bark cracking at the base of the tree. They were even painted white. I did not notice it a month ago. Is it possible this happened as a result of the cold snap the last two weeks. We were in the teens but nothing crazy. Anyone else have winter damage on Liberty. I thought I was in the clear on these. So frustrating.

I lost a liberty a year or two ago coming out of winter. It leafed out then died a short time later. Never could figure out why. Figured winter injury somehow. We hit -30 a couple times that year.
We had a very mild winter but still hit -30 a couple times but other than that there weren't even many 0's. I guess that answer the question if one cold day can kill a tree or does it take a prolonged cold stretch. On a positive my zone 5 Ayers pear going on its 4th leaf is going strong and I think may have some blossoms. I don't think I will ever figure out these fruit trees. I do know chestnut and dolgo's look great and they will be my focus going forward.

I think Liberty is rated for zone 4 so -30 is pushing it. I have no idea if one night can kill them. I've got a couple other Liberty that are still going strong.
I have 5. Three look good two I am pretty sure are toast.

We hit -30 a couple times that year.[/QUOTE]

You need to move. They have cars, planes, boats, and lots of stuff that makes it really easy these days!

I do not consider Ohio to be a "southern state", but dang you folks on this forum make me think I am in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands!

We hit -30 a couple times that year.

You need to move. They have cars, planes, boats, and lots of stuff that makes it really easy these days![/QUOTE]

I will never move. It is a place like no other. If I didn't have large native trees I would think it can't be done but I will keep battling Mother Nature until I produce fruit. I am getting close but I don't like the casualties I am suffering along the way. Hi hopes I will have a pear blossom or two next weekend.