All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold one in the NE tonight!

Spur that's amazing that we are only 10 miles apart and my low last night was 25. I think we are supposed to hit 16 tonight and am hoping it doesn't go lower. I have some snow at my place too have a cam online to check

My house is always a minimum of 3 degrees cooler than the bottom of our hill that is 3 miles away. Last Saturday we came home from a hockey game and at the bottom of our hill they had rain. At my house, we had 2" and looked like a blizzard.

Paul, As your trees get bigger you may need to cover both sides for good coverage , especially after leaved out , Hope it works out for you we do some concentration spraying on some products .

I will guaranty you we love how well it works and the time saved

Good Luck
Thanks for that tip and I am sure it won't be a problem since I won't be using that hand sprayer any longer Thanks also for the referee of the Swiharts. They seem like real people George it's 55 gallon which should work well in my back orchard and the other orchards are very close to my cabin so getting water is no problem. I am looking forward to it and having more time to do other things and eating less pesticides lol. I will post pics when I get it.

Good luck with it! Worked all morning in the orchards on trellis' and checked a few buds up high in the trees. They seemed to be a little better. The weather channel on line is now saying 19 for us tonight. That's a little upward trend...I like it!

Last edited:
I think we got down to 11 here earlier this week. I finally got out to check my trees today. Apple trees were all fine. My six pear trees were a little further along and I think all the buds were lost. The pears are Doc's Special and Trophy planted in 2009. The trees have grown well, but I have had very few pears. Always wondered why. Maybe this explains it.

I showed up today to 23 degrees and 3" of new snow. My plan was to spend a couple hours with the chainsaw then release three new apples I found. First property I spent a couple hours hinging small stuff with the silky. Then I fired up the chainsaw, fourth tree I tried going against the lean and got the saw stuck. Took the bar off and headed back to camp. Grabbed my other saw and got the three apples released. Ran out of gas hinging the last tree. Finished up pruning the last of my released trees (released three years ago) that are still a mess. I was not on my A game today but still got some stuff accomplished. A couple trees at silver tip but most still dormant. Hoping to have the excavator on site next weekend (still have not cleared it with my boss). My cummins order ships the 25th. No excavator equals big problems. I need about 50 holes dug and I still have 4 acres of stumps. Going to be a crazy 3 weeks. On a side note I think I will have my first pear blossoms this year, that alone will be a huge success.

Chummer I am tired just reading your post lol. I always take both my chain saws with me lol. Always get a saw stuck every year. When is the tree sale of those trees? Lol.

Chummer I am tired just reading your post lol. I always take both my chain saws with me lol. Always get a saw stuck every year. When is the tree sale of those trees? Lol.
Probably around 5/1. They will be heeled in my garden, I will give you the address:)

Probably around 5/1. They will be heeled in my garden, I will give you the address:)
Thanks haha. If you want I can heel them in here in their final resting place lol

12 degrees last night. A couple more in the teens this week then it looks like a warm up.

12 degrees last night. A couple more in the teens this week then it looks like a warm up.
Wow remind me never to visit your place in the fall winter or spring. How about July 31 lol

15 degrees here last night.

Wow remind me never to visit your place in the fall winter or spring. How about July 31 lol

I just searched to find it. Apparently it is "famous" for heavy winter snows, has a population of 100,000 and has a 86.32 percent chance of snow on July 31. We need to buy Chummer a subscription to a snowmobile magazine and get him out of trees or anything that needs heat and sunshine!

Here's what I woke up to this morning.... No damaged buds or anything here, everything is still asleep. Chummer I feel your pain, good luck with those stumps.DSCN0180.JPG DSCN0181.JPG

I just searched to find it. Apparently it is "famous" for heavy winter snows, has a population of 100,000 and has a 86.32 percent chance of snow on July 31. We need to buy Chummer a subscription to a snowmobile magazine and get him out of trees or anything that needs heat and sunshine!
We do get 30's in July. My town that covers a large area has 3-400 full time residents. You have to be some kind of crazy to live there year round. There are100's of miles of snow mobile trails. We have people from all over the northeast come for snowmobiling.

Grey, love the pics but im real sorry if you lose a crop. Cant wait till my trees from scion you sent mature. Then i can be as stressed out as you people, ha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinytim - the only thing missing in your pix are the Christmas lights !! Holy cow that's a cold - looking pic. See Aero for his Caribbean island get-away brochures !!! You and Chummer BOTH need a break !!

Well I should be out of the woods for a while anyways. I just looked at the 10 day forecast and nights are in the 30's and 40's. That'll work!

Same here except for a few high 20's good for now. Talking 70's for weekend

Same here except for a few high 20's good for now. Talking 70's for weekend
How in the world do you get colder temps than me? Must be global warming!

Maybe my elevation. My house is 4 to 5 degrees warmer than my farm which is 60 miles away