Cold one in the NE tonight!

CHUMMER,

If I I give you land will you move south LMAO! You are right I thought we were done with that thread for the year!

You freakin kidding me? Dude thats unbelievable and we have some harsh winters here in W MI. I'm floored!

I bet you guys thought this thread was done for the year. This is why growing anything in my area is difficult. This is a couple miles from my place. I will be heading up tonight to check for possible damages. Forecasted low was 42, this came out of no where.
View attachment 9061
Ouch !!!

Weather underground has the station nearest me at 37 earlier this week. But that is right on the river. I wouldn't be shocked to hear about spotty frost by us either.

I'm not surprised Chummer. That area is not fit for man nor beast.....or fruit! ;) I think we were down to 38-9 Thursday.

Good gracious!! Is that the arctic? We were north of 95 yesterday.

That is crazy its been cold here with mid 40s at night but no frost!

I think I escaped with few damages. My buckwheat was up a few days and may be dead but the apple trees are loaded and looking great.

I think I escaped with few damages. My buckwheat was up a few days and may be dead but the apple trees are loaded and looking great.
If your buckwheat was only up for a few days it should be fine. I've had frost on early buckwheat growth in the past and still ended up with a good stand. If it was a couple weeks old then I'd say it's toast.

There's a reason Chummer has 325 " of average snowfall on his posts in the personal info section !! Tug Hill where Chummer is located has 2 seasons - Winter and July. :eek:

There's a reason Chummer has 325 " of average snowfall on his posts in the personal info section !! Tug Hill where Chummer is located has 2 seasons - Winter and July. :eek:
We had another frost this week but I was so disgusted I didn't post about it. :mad:

Ouch !! Sorry to hear about the frost, Chummer.

Man, I can't believe how cold it gets/stays there for you!

We had another frost this week but I was so disgusted I didn't post about it. :mad:
What about this morning Chummer. I had 39 in the orchard early this morning.

We were only 44. It appears my apple crop is not what I had hoped. While a few tress are loaded, a few have very few apples. These trees were loaded with blossoms and many bees on them. Is it possible for a blossom to not be viable from cold before or during bloom? We have not been below 30 since the blossoms opened. We did have 25 a couple weeks before bloom. I thought if the blossoms froze they would just shrivel and disappear. Any reason why a tree wouldn't set fruit if pollinators or temp is not the cause. I did see a couple frozen pea size apples from this weeks temp but very few and far between.

They probably got cooked back in April.

I am leaving now to head north and pick up Chummer at this point he should not be left alone with sharp objects! I saw this was up again and thought "there is no way he had another frost"!

I am leaving now to head north and pick up Chummer at this point he should not be left alone with sharp objects! I saw this was up again and thought "there is no way he had another frost"!
Pick me up at Fat Nancy's in Pulaski.

Pick me up at Fat Nancy's in Pulaski.

I stopped to put air in my air bags, I didn't know how fat Nancy is - but figured we would let her come along as well.