Cold one in the NE tonight!

Patchy frost here tomorrow morning with calm winds and clear skies. I watered my nursery this evening and will water again early tomorrow if I can get up early enough.

Damn, snow yesterday, and now it is 28 with a frost! I'm still at TC to first pink.

Not too bad here the past two nights have been cold 36, 38 but nothing below freezing and the 10 day forecast is looking good.

Damn, snow yesterday, and now it is 28 with a frost! I'm still at TC to first pink.
Will you be okay at that temp? I hit 25 last night but only a couple trees were showing any pink. Most are still silver. Another frost tonight then again Saturday. These trees are stressful.

Will you be okay at that temp? I hit 25 last night but only a couple trees were showing any pink. Most are still silver. Another frost tonight then again Saturday. These trees are stressful.

I am pulling for you all. That chart is not entirely the end all. I had several trees in pink when we got to below 24 degrees and I have plenty of apples. Perhaps you all will have the same luck.

No, I'm fine. My wife and I just went out and looked and all is well. We lost a bunch of King blossoms when we were at 1/4", so thinning will be a challenge in my commercial orchards. I'm not worried about the deer trees. They will get the thinning that nature gave them and that will have to do.

I talked to my rep at Crop Production Services this morning and every orchard in Vermont is pretty much the same. Every one lost a large % of king blossoms.

Yea I saw that a few days ago as well. Always a challenge when you are dealing with Ma Nature.
It's going to be challenging up here this year TC. Not sure how we are going to thin as our king blossoms took a big hit. Some clusters are down to 2's and 3's. Even Carbaryl will be tough to use.

My Massachusetts apple trees took a big hit. Out of 35 apple trees most have no blossom at all, a few have between 1-20 blossoms per tree. The tree that has the most blossoms is the one Braeburn tree I have it has lots of blossoms. My golden Delicious tree has a few hundred blossoms. My 2 pear trees have a few blossoms on them 20 or 30 . For the most part I consider it a total lost.

My Massachusetts apple trees took a big hit. Out of 35 apple trees most have no blossom at all, a few have between 1-20 blossoms per tree. The tree that has the most blossoms is the one Braeburn tree I have it has lots of blossoms. My golden Delicious tree has a few hundred blossoms. My 2 pear trees have a few blossoms on them 20 or 30 . For the most part I consider it a total lost.
I got hit hard too. I can see the blossoms dried on the tree. All of my HC are not bearing this year grrrrrr. Have some apples with King David leading the way and my cider varieties doing awesome as they are late bloomers so were protected. We had 11 or 12 degrees one night that kicked out ass so sad

This is a good look at my King blossom damage from the cold during green tip. That king is not developing but the surrounding blossoms are fine.

DSCN3065.JPG

So I have some grafts that have been actively growing in a bucket in peat moss for 5 weeks (grafted about 7 weeks ago), can I transplant them saturday (my most free day) knowing that it'll be at least a low of 30 that night?

So I have some grafts that have been actively growing in a bucket in peat moss for 5 weeks (grafted about 7 weeks ago), can I transplant them saturday (my most free day) knowing that it'll be at least a low of 30 that night?

You might get away with it if they have been hardened off outside already, and 30 degrees is the low. I wouldnt chance it if they havent been kept outside for several days.

They have been outside for 3-4 weeks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supposedly 24 at our place last night. Not good. I am heading up today.

Cold here two nights now low last night 26 degrees , using wind fan and burning bales all night burnt 30 rounds , started wind machine at 1.00 am , Minnesota we always get one at full bloom , we are going to send the cold nights east so watch your forecast

Can I cut into a bud right away and check for damage? Or does it take a day or so to go brown?

Supposedly 24 at our place last night. Not good. I am heading up today.
ouch that really hurts as I assume you were at full pink of bloom? You wont have a hard time telling if they are toast I cut some that were in cold and they looked good but then the blossom opened more the bud was dead