Cold one in the NE tonight!

28 degrees @ 630 this morning

We got down to 25 last night. Will be the same maybe colder tonight. A couple of the big native trees are green tip. Everything else is still silver. Not sure how many of these cold nights they can take, even at silver. We have had 4 heavy frosts this week, looks like tonight will be the last for a while.

On a side note my neighbor who has his bees in my orchard has all the holes taped over so the bees can't get out. What is the reason for this? I figured it was to save their energy because nothing is blooming yet. Last week 3 of 4 hives were showing life. I was shocked they made it through the winter unprotected.

I've got my first hive setup and ready the bees are coming this weekend - we'll see how that goes!

Wow that's cold and the snow pics make it look that much worse. Good luck to all you guys. If we make it ok tonight I think we are out of the woods but I think I said that 3 or 4 times already along with George!!!!!

Yes I got it. Just surprised you are that much colder there

I am not completely sure myself. We have a combination of elevation, fields that are not in a deep valley, north facing slopes and some other unknown climate voodoo. We have LATE frosts, snow in May, every year in August I see a couple nights with lows in the upper 30's. I have some friends who have places in Wharton, Cross Fork, Sterling run, etc and they don't get nearly as cold in the those deep valleys.

Oh my the horror! I feel bad for you guys for SURE, snow, me no like...

Just took a walk and things look good out there. I cut into a bunch they look ok. Everything is at tight cluster except HC's. No pink at all.

Chummer, I'm not a bee guy but I would think you are right.

Just took a walk and things look good out there. I cut into a bunch they look ok. Everything is at tight cluster except HC's. No pink at all.

Chummer, I'm not a bee guy but I would think you are right.
George my HC's are lagging also and the ones on B9 are the furthest along. I was wondering if I was going to have any blossoms. My biggest budder are my King David's this year. They are loaded. Most of my crabs got smoked and a few no buds on trees that were loaded last year

Well I am happy to report that the cold seems to have done little damage to my apples. Nearly all trees have these little babies :

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    357.8 KB · Views: 15
Now my pears - well they were total loss!!!!

Way to go with the tiny apples

Sorry about the pears WTNUT! :'(

Well I am fortunate. I probably faired better than many on the forum.

Well whomever said early on that we are probably in better shape than we realize was right. I have a couple trees planted last fall as bare root trees with apples on them. Yes, I am picking those off :). It's seems as though every one of my trees has a good crop other than the very first tree to bloom and to be honest, I do not know what that tree is. I have about 6 our of 100 that I don't know the variety. Going to spray today. Things are looking good so far.

I have a few of my grafted trees that were planted in 2014 that will have apples and I am letting some fruit I hope because I want to try some of the apples looks like my Asian pears really didn't produce this year but because of overcroppimg last year

I have a few of my grafted trees that were planted in 2014 that will have apples and I am letting some fruit I hope because I want to try some of the apples looks like my Asian pears really didn't produce this year but because of overcroppimg last year

Yes, I am going to have to watch a few trees close for overcrooping.

Still a long way to go but my native trees are just starting to show blossoms, and they are loooooooaaaaaaddddded! Still have some trees that haven't woke up. My Enterprises are either dead or going to be a great tree. I didn't think they were suppose to be a late bloomer but still completely dormant. Even my Liberties that had their trunks crack are budding out. I still think they will die because I have seen this before. I get my hopes up they will survive only to have the leaves not open and the tree ultimately dies.

Enterprise is one that typically is slower to get going for me every year. Give them some more time. You might consider experimenting with a Kinnairds Choice (which is supposedly a southern apple) sometime. It is one of the last varieties I have to break bud in the spring every year as well.

Court Pendu Plat has been my latest apple to break bud. Also Keegan's Crab from GRIN (two listed I have PI 206029) has been late to break bud.

Anyone else project to have a cold night here soon. Its all 60-70/40 from here on out except this Saturday it drops to 31 at night?