All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24d vs triclopyr advice

weekender21

5 year old buck +
I’m dealing with a few stubborn annual and perennial plants. Last year they really got an upper hand and made a noticeable decrease in foot plot yield despite a double gly application 2 weeks apart.

After the first gly application in August 2021 the plot appeared completely burned down but closer inspection revealed small green plants that survived and were pretty thick in a few areas. I spot sprayed those areas (2nd gly application) and planted.

The fall plot turned out ok but the biggest offender (smooth hawksbeard) was really thick in a few spots and successfully outcompeted the fall crop.

July 2022 mature smooth hawksbeard, Oxeye Daisy also present. This plot was created in 2018, I have never sprayed in the spring/summer.

218c7bf59775e4f13b1ed183fbf2e29a.jpg

I’m planning to spray and plant when time/weather permits in August or September. Should I add 24d or Triclopyr to my usual 2-4 quarts/acre of Gly?

Zone 6b, elevation 3k, western NC mountains.

If I can’t figure it out this fall I may terminate the cool season crop in May 2023 and plant a heavy summer crop in hopes to smother the summer annuals/perennials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
maybe just a heavier dose of gly if it did the trick last year.

maybe just a heavier dose of gly if it did the trick last year.

It didn’t. 2x applications in August and still very thick carpet of smooth hawksbeard.

I think over browsing is contributing. I’m looking for a really good kill to give my cool season plot a head start.

I’m dealing with a few stubborn annual and perennial plants. Last year they really got an upper hand and made a noticeable decrease in foot plot yield despite a double gly application 2 weeks apart.

After the first gly application in August 2021 the plot appeared completely burned down but closer inspection revealed small green plants that survived and were pretty thick in a few areas. I spot sprayed those areas (2nd gly application) and planted.

The fall plot turned out ok but the biggest offender (smooth hawksbeard) was really thick in a few spots and successfully outcompeted the fall crop.

July 2022 mature smooth hawksbeard, Oxeye Daisy also present. This plot was created in 2018, I have never sprayed in the spring/summer.

218c7bf59775e4f13b1ed183fbf2e29a.jpg

I’m planning to spray and plant when time/weather permits in August or September. Should I add 24d or Triclopyr to my usual 2-4 quarts/acre of Gly?

Zone 6b, elevation 3k, western NC mountains.

If I can’t figure it out this fall I may terminate the cool season crop in May 2023 and plant a heavy summer crop in hopes to smother the summer annuals/perennials.

I’ve had better luck with triclopyr than 2-4d. Anything that seems “woody” the triclopyr will smoke. Also no plant back interval with the triclopyr.

x2 to what Omicron said