Gly or 24d After Planting

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
IMG_8992.jpeg

IMG_8989.jpeg

Today, I planted golden millet and sprayed gly at the same time. Thirty minutes after finishing - a downpour. These duck holes covered with smartweed.

Would you go back tomorrow and spray gly again - not knowing if it will need it? Or would you wait and see and if needed - go back in a couple weeks and spray 24d?

Would have to check and see at what leaf stage the millet would be unaffected by 24d.

Hmm that’s tough. I always hate that post spray rain where you don’t know if you got a kill. I’d probably come back tomorrow with gly just to ensure the smart weed didn’t smoother out any growth

Hmm that’s tough. I always hate that post spray rain where you don’t know if you got a kill. I’d probably come back tomorrow with gly just to ensure the smart weed didn’t smoother out any growth
I am leaning that way - but I dang sure hate to do it.

I have never planted millet for ducks, but the ducks hammer the smart weed here. So not necessarily a bad weed from that perspective.

Glyphosate can be rainfast in 30 minutes. How hot was it and what time of day was it when you sprayed?

I would wait and see. I have literally finished spraying an area while it was raining and still had a decent kill off across the area.

Glyphosate can be rainfast in 30 minutes. How hot was it and what time of day was it when you sprayed?

I would wait and see. I have literally finished spraying an area while it was raining and still had a decent kill off across the area.
90 degrees - mid day

ducks wont hardly touch smartweed in my duck holes. They will eat the heck out of millet

I would go tomor and spray Gly to get it off my mind and to be sure.

This is pure conjecture on my part. Take the rain out of the equation and I'd say you could probably be going back with 2,4-d anyhow. The picture makes it look like some thick stuff. Maybe you got lucky with good coverage and will get a good kill but maybe not. Then there's the likelihood of smartweed regeneration from seed. How much smartweed control is acceptable to you?

Add the rain and if the smartweed persists you'll blame it on the rain when it might be that OR (and) a combination of other things.

Me? I think I'd wait and hope to get lucky. If not you know you have 2,4-d as a backup but you will need to apply at the right millet growth stage to prevent damage to it.

A dilemma for sure.

This is pure conjecture on my part. Take the rain out of the equation and I'd say you could probably be going back with 2,4-d anyhow. The picture makes it look like some thick stuff. Maybe you got lucky with good coverage and will get a good kill but maybe not. Then there's the likelihood of smartweed regeneration from seed. How much smartweed control is acceptable to you?

Add the rain and if the smartweed persists you'll blame it on the rain when it might be that OR (and) a combination of other things.

Me? I think I'd wait and hope to get lucky. If not you know you have 2,4-d as a backup but you will need to apply at the right millet growth stage to prevent damage to it.

A dilemma for sure.
I wouldnt mind a little smartweed - I dont like is so thick they wont land in it. They like it when the water gets over the top of it - but I cant put that much water on it.

I wouldnt mind a little smartweed - I dont like is so thick they wont land in it. They like it when the water gets over the top of it - but I cant put that much water on it.
How did you decide on foxtail?

I have similar bottomland flats to that photo above and planted Jap millet

I have never planted either before now

bill

I sprayed gly this year and about 15 minutes after I was done, it rain, we had an inch in a matter of about 20 minutes. The weeds were as dead as Bill's giant buck last fall.
Just my 2 cents

How did you decide on foxtail?

I have similar bottomland flats to that photo above and planted Jap millet

I have never planted either before now

bill
I did not plant foxtail golden millets. It is a “special” golden millet variety grown for duck hunting.

I dont know if it is any better - i have planted it before and it seems to have a slightly larger head. This year - it was what the co-op had in stock. No jap in stock

Maybe mow as cheap insurance.

Had the spotty rain dilemma at camp. Planted then mowed on Thursday. Was going to spray on Saturday, but a drunk club member ticked me off pretty good Friday night. So, packed my stuff and went home Saturday morning.

Planted rye, wheat, and oats no till n mow. Threw in clover, turnips, some daikon radish, and some leftover green cover milpa mix.

A dilemma for sure.

Been on here a long time as well as the former forum. My advise is solid: When FarmerDan speaks we should all listen!!!! Thanks for the input - always Mr. FarmerDan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk