Yote nailed a fawn....

phil@thesidehill

5 year old buck +
about 2 weeks ago i went up to check on my clover/oats planting and found 3 out of 4 fawn legs in the plot 2 were within 3 feet of each other and the third was about 20 yds away. trail cams were too far away to get a 100% id on the predator, but i usually have a yote or two come thru during fawning season. I have pics of a doe 12:30AM the night before i found the legs, and she was racing back and forth in front of that cam with tail straight up. then on the other cam i have low lying eye shine at the far end of the plot exactly where i found 2 of the three legs.

IMG_0346.JPG IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0348.JPG

You have more than a yote or two, we all do

You have more than a yote or two, we all do
most likely more than one or two come through in a given year...but when we are talking about 10 acres its really only a yote or two consistently. Last year, like most years, I ran cameras from May until the following April....i only had 10 yote pics....and 6 of them were in the first two weeks of June. Obviously you only get pics of the ones that step in front of the cams but 3 cams on 10 acres helps with increasing the chances. During the winter i see yote tracks in the snow but not too regularly. plenty of them around, but they just dont seem to massively congregate on my 10 acres....its just a small fraction of the local yotes' range.

Not a good scene when you walk up a that. I've found a couple over the last few years that I suspect yotes.

That sucks. I hate them freakin things. Some day I will declare war when I have the time to after them. Have not heard one or seen signs of one yet this year.

Sorry to see those pix, Phil. P***es you off when you work to try & improve the local herd's odds and then those yotes show up at fawning time. No doubt Mom was hanging around for the good food you plant for milk production. I hope you get a shot at them somehow.

Today I found my first dead fawn of the year, right on the edge of a somewhat secluded alfalfa/clover plot. Makes me wonder if plots like that make it easy fawn pickings for yotes? Seeing that fawn mangled in my plot gets me revved up to put a few cable restraints around some necks.

This is how We take care of the problem
C5F7B782-6532-4DCD-9E77-9A559141DC1A.jpg

I hate to see that Phil. Hope you can find a way to clean them out some.

Glad I didn't have to skin that bunch of stinkin coyotes!
Yote season is a 365 ordeal. Every other week the hounds are training in a 100 acre pen. These houndsman are so nuts they eliminate 100 acres of world class whitetail habitat, to chase stinky yotes around year long.
The good news is we have some promising young hounds, come winter!