WTB: 7' box blade

Jim Timber

5 year old buck +
Anyone know a good place to find a heavy (type 2) box blade in the Minnesota area, but not too expensive?

I'm trying to see if I can find a used one close to what I can fab one up for.

7' would be ideal, but 6' would work.

Jim I'm sure you already know this, but.
Don't cut yourself short on the size. You'll want it wide enough to cover your tracks when it is set on an angle.

Last edited:
Jim I'm sure you already know this, but.
Don't cut yourself short on the size. You'll want it wide enough to cover your tracks when it is set on an angle.

You won't angle a box blade Tooln. A 3 point rear blade that angles is another matter. I'd prefer that the box blade width just covers my tracks - no wider. They can pull pretty hard when filled with soil or made to dig deeply.

My rears are at 6' now, but I wouldn't mind bumping them out a little since fitting on a trailer isn't a regular thing. My bucket being 7' also means the fronts could come out a little as well, but I only have the option of flipping the wheels around on these rims and I'm not sure how much that'd poke them out yet.

Tire repositioning is going to wait for warmer weather regardless. :)

I had a 7' once on my little 30 hp machine - it was like dropping anchor! I sold it and doubled my money on it and now I borrow a smaller one when I need it. I used to extend the teeth on it and use it similar to a chisel plow and for some light leveling work. Ever once in a while I would hit a vein of grey clay and then my tractor turns into a trenching machine and just starts digging holes! That is if your not jerked out of the seat when everything come to an abrupt halt!!!!

My tractor is 65hp and somewhere around 7,000#. ;)

You won't angle a box blade Tooln. A 3 point rear blade that angles is another matter. I'd prefer that the box blade width just covers my tracks - no wider. They can pull pretty hard when filled with soil or made to dig deeply.
I guess posting when tired is just as bad as after drinking. I was thinking rear blade not box blade. Sorry for the mix up.

Jim - I figured you had the machine for it - I was just pointing out "right tool for the right job". I just about kissed the hood of mine once because I hit a small ditch with mine at a decent speed and that box blade caught and I was damn near like a kid over the handlebars of a bicycle! Like I said - a frick'n anchor!

Looking at getting foam or chloride when I have the tires switched to the correct orientation too. :)

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/king-kutter-72-in-box-blade/0000000010023
Here's the one I picked up a while back. It was on an unadvertised clearance, $100.00 off. I also signed up for a fleet card & got another 10% off. The wife doesn't know it yet but when it comes time to get a rotary cutter she's alos getting a fleet card. ;)

Looking at getting foam or chloride when I have the tires switched to the correct orientation too. :)

Orientation? You can always change RH w/ LH tire/wheel to change the grip direction or spin em 189 degrees.....no?

Yep, just need to swap sides and it'll be right.

I thought that most tractor tires were directional.

And all this talk about "swapping" and "orientation" is beginning to sound like a late night soap opera. :)

http://www.everythingattachments.com/ETA-Severe-Xtreme-Duty-Box-Blade-p/eta-cati-ii-xdbb.htm

I think you would be outside their 1,000 mile Free Shipping range. It's only money. "Expensive" is relative. :)

There's about $400 in materials in that (excluding rippers and blades).

If it's only money - you can buy it for me. Thanks! :D

The 72" KK is $668 in the store now. Interesting that they're cheaper online.

They should always be cheaper online, they don't have to pay a no nothing clerk to run a sales pitch by you when you already know what you want before you walk in the store.:rolleyes:

I thought that most tractor tires were directional.

And all this talk about "swapping" and "orientation" is beginning to sound like a late night soap opera. :)

This ain't a MoBuck thread. :p Keep yer drama somewhere else. :D

They are directional - and today when I was looking at the sidewall I noticed a little thing saying "for free wheeling use ->" and it was aimed forward! The other side said "<- for max traction" and was aimed aft. Not cool!

There's about $400 in materials in that (excluding rippers and blades).

If it's only money - you can buy it for me. Thanks! :D

The part that really costs is the hardened rear blades. Shanks are not cheap either. The best price I've found for a set is about $400. I bought a used one and bent it badly with my 35hp Mahindra. It is only a 66 inch box blade.

Don't get me wrong, EA looks to run a good operation down there. It's just a lot of money for stuff I'm fully capable of in my own shop. I also enjoy fabricating more than anything (that doesn't involve female participation), so I really need to be saving something to buy one.

Don't get me wrong, EA looks to run a good operation down there. It's just a lot of money for stuff I'm fully capable of in my own shop. I also enjoy fabricating more than anything (that doesn't involve female participation), so I really need to be saving something to buy one.
Jim, what do you cut plate steel with in your shop? Hand held plasma?