Wood duck houses

Checked my active wood duck house. Looks like the hen is done laying eggs. Quick count of 13-14 eggs.
9f2d954dcc50b337e75cf8454f865c07.jpg

66068d01183d8fc8809df223781cb6a1.jpg

from the wood duck society.....

Predicting "Jump Day":

A hen wood duck usually lays one egg per day until her clutch is complete. The normal incubation period for a wood duck is usually 29 -30 days. You will have to get an accurate egg count and note the date sometime during the egg laying stage, before the hen starts her incubation. For instance, if you checked a vacated nest box some afternoon and found five eggs, and the date was April 10th, mark your calendar on the 10th with five eggs.In a few weeks, when the hen is incubating, you will need another egg count. Watch for the hen to leave for her morning or evening feeding, then re-check the nest box and get a total egg count. If the total egg count was twelve eggs, and knowing that during the egg laying process a hen usually lays one egg per day, add seven days [for the seven additional eggs] to the calendar you previously marked on April 10th. Using the new date of April 17th, you can add 30 days [incubation time] for the estimated hatch – which would be May 17th.

Now, due to the fact that wood duck hens will occasionally 'miss’ laying an egg on any given day during the egg laying process, the hatch date is just an estimate, but it will get you close. Near the hatch date, monitor the nest box more closely and re-check it when the hen leaves for her evening feed. On a day when you find some of the ducklings hatched- you will know that the entire brood will leave the following morning. At this point, avoid further contact with the ducklings or the hen. The hen and her brood will usually jump between 7:00 AM and 9:00 AM that following day, but the 'jump' can extend anytime up to noon –especially, if the hen feels threatened from predators or if the weather is inclement.

Good info bueller.
Checked two more houses. One has no action and the other one has one egg now.

uploadfromtaptalk1460490481442.jpg

I checked mine about 2 days ago and nothing yet but it has been cold. Normally my boxes have Hooded Mergansers by now, but this year I have not seen many. That is kind of strange. Although the weather is going to be perfect this week for things to start.

After the cold snap this past weekend the ducks have returned. I've been checking the boxes after work when the ducks are not around but no activity. The good news is the starlings seem to have let up as I have not had to pull grasses from the boxes since Monday. Hopefully the woodies will nest in them now.

Very nice work browndog! Keep us updated.

Thanks. I am trying to figure out how I can get a cam to watch the house with 13-14 eggs in so I can get some pics/vids of jump day.

Thanks. I am trying to figure out how I can get a cam to watch the house with 13-14 eggs in so I can get some pics/vids of jump day.

That would be great, I can't wait to see pics or videos.

That would be great, I can't wait to see pics or videos.

I have a cam watching the box with 3 eggs in but not sure if I can get one to watch the other box with the 13-14 eggs. I might put a cam on the post under the box about 3" above the water and see if I can get pics and vids of the little fellas hitting the water. I have a cam on a pot hole and have tons of woody pictures and vids.

As of yesterday there are no wood ducks nesting in any of my boxes. :( but the good news is after a few days of suspicious activity on the fish pond I noticed a hen mallard nesting on a small island. I have not investigated it but maybe one day when I see the hen fly off I may throw on my waders and take a quick peek

As of yesterday there are no wood ducks nesting in any of my boxes. :( but the good news is after a few days of suspicious activity on the fish pond I noticed a hen mallard nesting on a small island. I have not investigated it but maybe one day when I see the hen fly off I may throw on my waders and take a quick peek
Nothing is nesting in mine either. Looks clean and fresh like I put it out yesterday.

Today, I checked the box that had three eggs in it last Thursday and it has eight eggs in it now.

The hen must have laid one egg after 9am yesterday and another one before 3:30pm today. 10 eggs now. Jumped a hen and drake woody in front of this box and jumped a drake in front of the other box with 13-14 eggs. My 3rd box has no action but jumped a hen and drake in front of it. Hope you guys aren't getting tired of all the pics.

uploadfromtaptalk1461100960862.jpg

The hen must have laid one egg after 9am yesterday and another one before 3:30pm today. 10 eggs now. Jumped a hen and drake woody in front of this box and jumped a drake in front of the other box with 13-14 eggs. My 3rd box has no action but jumped a hen and drake in front of it. Hope you guys aren't getting tired of all the pics.

View attachment 8728
Tired of the pics no, jealous yes ;)

keep em coming....id be mad if you didn't:D

Here are a few more pics. The first two pics are of the wood duck house that has the 10 eggs in as of today. Camera is still watching the box but hasn't been triggering like I want it too:( The last three pics are about 200yds away from the wood duck house that the cam is watching. I am thinking about putting another woody house here next year.

Possibly when the first egg was laid:cool:

The happy parents:)

Those close-ups on the water look great!

Very nice! Love the pics browndog!

Here's a pic of the mallard nesting on the island on my fish pond. Not the greatest photo because my camera's not the greatest and I had to zoom in 30 feet or so. This is the time I've had a mallard nest on the pond....can't wait to see those little guys swimming around.DSCN0346.JPG