Wisconsin legislators author bill to reduce doe harvest in Northern Zone

I haven’t seen a collared wolf in about 10 years, even on camera. I am not sure if they backed away from putting them on, or I am just lucky to not have any

I wonder if they use the chips to track them instead of collars?

Can you shoot them in defense of your livestock or pets?

“I was out walking with the dog and wolves got after him so I shot them”

Is that legal?

Realistically what are the chance of getting caught. It seems low single digits. I get it, I wouldn’t want to worry but geez it seems like if enough people got on board they would be forced to evaluate their policies.
Almost seems like people would be wise to invest in a wire mesh 4’ fence around their place. Probably not perfect but I would imagine it would stop the easy flow.

2 years ago I had a collared female whelp her pups on my land.

Everyone always brings up tracking chips that you can’t see. I don’t believe they are a thing.

2 years ago I had a collared female whelp her pups on my land.

Everyone always brings up tracking chips that you can’t see. I don’t believe they are a thing.
they are now that everyone got their Covid Vaccine 😄

Can you shoot them in defense of your livestock or pets?

“I was out walking with the dog and wolves got after him so I shot them”

Is that legal?
More so if you tell no one. If you do, then expect grief, but I doubt you would get charged.

My property is in central Washburn county surrounded by AG and we have plenty of does and bucks. Luckily I am surrounded by farmers who seem to take matters into their own hands. I hear and see lots of coyotes but have never had a wolf on camera. Neither has my buddy who owns the 80 just North of me. I think I am pretty lucky for now. The silage feed bags keep my does healthy all winter LOL I also don't think a one-size-fits all approach is the way to go. Washburn in particular should be managed differently in the North than the South.

My property is in central Washburn county surrounded by AG and we have plenty of does and bucks. Luckily I am surrounded by farmers who seem to take matters into their own hands. I hear and see lots of coyotes but have never had a wolf on camera. Neither has my buddy who owns the 80 just North of me. I think I am pretty lucky for now. The silage feed bags keep my does healthy all winter LOL I also don't think a one-size-fits all approach is the way to go. Washburn in particular should be managed differently in the North than the South.

I am also in Washburn County, but in the North. Complete different area then 15 miles south of me. I am in Forest land, and fields are few and far between. Go south even 10 miles, and it is a 50/50 crop to woods.

I have complained of this several times, but they lump Washburn county in one, the southern part complains of too many deer wrecking their fields, so they ask for more deer tags, but there isnt much public land in the south part of the county, but they sell all these extra tags, and they go to the north part of the county where all the public land is, but there isnt much deer. But they keep complaining of too many deer in the south of the county, so they keep selling more and more doe tags, and the hunters keep coming to the north to the public land, but there isnt any deer here. But all the private land owners in the south are still complaining too many deer, need more doe tags.

With the current check in station being all online or call in, how many does will still get shot and never reported. It's happening now all over and I can only imagine it will be worse when guys are only seeing does and no bucks. Super easy to shoot a deer and have it skinned and butchered within a day or 2 and nobody would ever know.

I am also in Washburn County, but in the North. Complete different area then 15 miles south of me. I am in Forest land, and fields are few and far between. Go south even 10 miles, and it is a 50/50 crop to woods.

I have complained of this several times, but they lump Washburn county in one, the southern part complains of too many deer wrecking their fields, so they ask for more deer tags, but there isnt much public land in the south part of the county, but they sell all these extra tags, and they go to the north part of the county where all the public land is, but there isnt much deer. But they keep complaining of too many deer in the south of the county, so they keep selling more and more doe tags, and the hunters keep coming to the north to the public land, but there isnt any deer here. But all the private land owners in the south are still complaining too many deer, need more doe tags.
Aren't the doe tags specific for either public or private land? I know that's the case in Rusk County to prevent the issues you brought up.

Aren't the doe tags specific for either public or private land? I know that's the case in Rusk County to prevent the issues you brought up.
They only ask when you buy them, but you arent required to use them in what you picked.

I have public land pretty much all over around me, they wouldnt have any way to enforce such a thing.

They only ask when you buy them, but you arent required to use them in what you picked.
I don't think that's accurate, you can't use private land doe tags on public land.

I agree though that it is hard to enforce, but I'd like to think most hunters will only use the tags on the type of land they are valid on.

I don't think that's accurate, you can't use private land doe tags on public land.

I agree though that it is hard to enforce, but I'd like to think most hunters will only use the tags on the type of land they are valid on.
Not sure how it is now, but a few years ago, I asked, and they said to just choose which you will be hunting most, that it would work for either.

I feel sorry for you northern guys. In my area, we have 60 day gun seasons, two buck limits, and baiting is almost considered a requirement - but the bucks are pretty good about adjusting to the pressure and there are a few things a landowner can do to reduce neighbor harvest. One of my six or eight target bucks was killed this year.

But, between snow and wolves - the best laid plans of mice and men - it is largely outside your control

I know a guy who was on the DMAP council or whatever it's called, for Washburn. They have asked the DNR several times to split Washburn because of the difference between North and South but it falls on deaf ears. It really wouldn't be that difficult but much like you said for the Public tags vs Private tags, how do you enforce it if a guy form Shell Lake shoots a doe in Minong without having a checkin station? I think as long as they are using an honor system for registration it will be abused. I think the real answer is in managing the wolves. I don't see these stupid legislator's bringing up bills to hunt the wolves in NW WIs!!!