Winterizing a sprayer

I must be a lucky SOB when it comes to sprayers. I never do a thing but drain the tank even in my pull behind 500 gallon sprayer.
And it was crazy cold last winter.

Having just jinkst myself I guess I'll have to do a better job this year.

I must be a lucky SOB when it comes to sprayers. I never do a thing but drain the tank even in my pull behind 500 gallon sprayer.
And it was crazy cold last winter.

Having just jinkst myself I guess I'll have to do a better job this year.

You must be.

I have seen guys freeze and bust PTO pumps, fittings, electric solenoids, spray tip housings, you name it. Best thing to do is take all the lines off and blow them out, drain the pump and filter screen housings if possible. Unhook lines so water can drip dry and air out. And keep the sprayer indoors if possible so rain and snow water does not seep in anywhere, collect and freeze.

I think my father in law said he fills his field sprayer pump with mineral oil.

I just rebuilt parts of my sprayer. I think some of my issues were with the diaphragm due to not rinsing well enough and leaving some guy in the lines sometimes. I quit that program now. But I suppose they all need some attention every now and again.

A guy can do everything correct and still have sprayer parts problems with chemicals as corrosive as some of them are.

Took mine apart today to put away for winter. The gly in the tank has a really thick slim on the top of it that plugged up the pump. That normal if you leave in sprayer for a few weeks?

Took mine apart today to put away for winter. The gly in the tank has a really thick slim on the top of it that plugged up the pump. That normal if you leave in sprayer for a few weeks?
How many gallons water to quarts of gly?

I typically don't have any slim in mine and I have used mine for quite a few years.

I've always heard that leaving Gly / mix in your sprayer was hard on the sprayer parts. :eek: Dunno.....but I do the three rinse trick on my stuff now after each use.

Glyphosate is salt. Then they take that salt and mix it with different type of acids to make your round up you use in the field very hard on weeds and sprayers. Always rinse your sprayer out 3 times after you are done with it. Don't wait 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months. Clean water through the sprayer 3 times when you are done spraying.