All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will plots grow without QDMA?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Yes they will!!!! I have wanted to drill my brassicas around August 1, but dang it is hot and dry in the Midwest. For those of you have not tried them, I encourage you to give them a try. Good for deer, easy to grow, good for the soil and that makes a win win win.

Haha! Great post. I'll be hitting our brassicas early this year too, typically we haven't planted until early september with our other fall plots, but they don't put out the production unless we have a warm fall. Time to try something different!

I hope so cause I already planted mine....:D

Everything we EVER discussed on the forum "Q forum" will work without QDMA. I think that may have been part of the issue. We proved every day that you didn't have to buy fancy seed, have fancy equipment, attend some "Q" class, or get direction from some "Q" expert! As long as we as individuals share the same sense of community with others as we did on that other forum we will be just fine. They lost their "poster children" - they lost!

Turns out there is nothing special about that four letter "Q" acronym......seed still grows, bucks still chase does and the sun still rises.

I think there's a lot to that. When the staff, Adams and TV are depending on moneys from BB2 and other BOB items and you have a forum that proves they are not needed, something's got to give. I think their ego's got the better of them also but, mainly the anti BOB movement was what ended the forum I'm sure.

Now for another view...

In total, no! I would contend that more folks new to food plotting had significantly accelerated success because of the QDMA forums. With their demise, what will happen? There was no single source as large and respected as QDMA for information on deer management and food plotting. More Google searches hit QDMA than anywhere else for this subject matter. Users will end up distributed over a variety of forums and it will take years at a minimum for any one forum to emerge as dominant. Since eyes will still be vectored to QDMA and the message will now be managed to be more sponsor friendly and less critical. Fewer new folks to food plotting will find sites like this than the QDMA forum. They will have a longer journey to success. So, the end result will be fewer acres of successful food plots. :eek:

Now for another view...

In total, no! I would contend that more folks new to food plotting had significantly accelerated success because of the QDMA forums. With their demise, what will happen? There was no single source as large and respected as QDMA for information on deer management and food plotting. More Google searches hit QDMA than anywhere else for this subject matter. Users will end up distributed over a variety of forums and it will take years at a minimum for any one forum to emerge as dominant. Since eyes will still be vectored to QDMA and the message will now be managed to be more sponsor friendly and less critical. Fewer new folks to food plotting will find sites like this than the QDMA forum. They will have a longer journey to success. So, the end result will be fewer acres of successful food plots. :eek:

If you are correct, newbies to habitat and plots will have a harder time succeeding.

It helps prove the point that the qdmA cares more about $ than deer or hunters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fact is...we dont need them. I would much rather get my plotting advise from honest experienced people who know what works and what is a waste of time and money, verses a bunch of pencil pushing big shot talking inexperienced know it all's that are only out to get into your pockets. qdma and other man made money seeking boy scout groups are not needed. They can keep their weed infested products as well.

Now for another view...

On the other hand... the knowledge that was congregated on that site may end up spreading to several new sites that may (for one reason or another) spread information and ideas to folks who would otherwise have never landed on the Q forums. I have made no bones about my issues with QDMA from the get-go, so I shed not a single tear about their hastening of their own demise, but the sharing of valuable insight by individuals who are not beholden to anyone will continue and grow.

On the other hand... the knowledge that was congregated on that site may end up spreading to several new sites that may (for one reason or another) spread information and ideas to folks who would otherwise have never landed on the Q forums. I have made no bones about my issues with QDMA from the get-go, so I shed not a single tear about their hastening of their own demise, but the sharing of valuable insight by individuals who are not beholden to anyone will continue and grow.

Yes, the knowledge will spread to other forums, but the visibility of the information will diminish until some other place ranks as high in search engines. I'm hoping this site will be eventual place. It is past the initial growing pains, has a good core group of knowledgeable core users, and has a good chance of reaching critical mass. My post on this thread: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/habitat-talk-how-long-will-it-last.5591/ lists my longer term concerns.

I certainly hope some site fills the void they are leaving.

Thanks,

Jack

Paul's or lick creeks threads need to be preserved. Because of the qdma forum I have had wonderful successful plots from the start with affordable seeds and scalable for the equipment I had along the journey. My soil has improved, deer and turkey are thick and now I see rabbits.

The WORLD will be fine! I wrote more...and deleted it. Let me just suggest we not overrate ourselves....

While QDMA was a great resource for many years -- all will be fine and maybe better without them. Getting multiple sites re-invigorated with new ideas and input will help accelerate the spread of knowledge. Those serious about managing habitat and food plots will find plenty of websites with a plethora of knowledge.

This seems like as good a place as any to plant this..I've tried to raise brassicas the last fours years with some(not great) success. At first I got caught up in the craze of them but now it's personal, I just want to try and get them to grow. I could never understand why people plant them so late in the year. I've read and understand the green top to tuber production idea and how late you want to carry them into the winter thing, or at least I think I do. I've been planting them earlier every year and that seems to be at least part of the puzzle for me. This year I planted on 7\16 over the top of BW and oats. As 7\23 my neighbor tells me that they are around 5" tall and germination appears to be excellent. So, to say I am excited is an under statement. I may drive up after work one night just to look at them. It's been a struggle for me to keep something green and available going into the cool fall weather and I am hopeful I might be getting closer to that goal. I don't hunt over the plots btw. Anyway, just though I would add something here.

This seems like as good a place as any to plant this..I've tried to raise brassicas the last fours years with some(not great) success. At first I got caught up in the craze of them but now it's personal, I just want to try and get them to grow. I could never understand why people plant them so late in the year. I've read and understand the green top to tuber production idea and how late you want to carry them into the winter thing, or at least I think I do. I've been planting them earlier every year and that seems to be at least part of the puzzle for me. This year I planted on 7\16 over the top of BW and oats. As 7\23 my neighbor tells me that they are around 5" tall and germination appears to be excellent. So, to say I am excited is an under statement. I may drive up after work one night just to look at them. It's been a struggle for me to keep something green and available going into the cool fall weather and I am hopeful I might be getting closer to that goal. I don't hunt over the plots btw. Anyway, just though I would add something here.

What state are you in? I normally plant by August 10 each year. Will plant next weekend IF RAIN IS IN THE FORECAST. For me they are super easy to grow if you have some moisture. Without it they can be a challenge - and they need at least 100 pounds of Urea - more with 6-24-24 is better but sometimes spending more $ is not in the option catalog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wisconsin. Yes, Juneau county. Aside from the sandy soil a good portion of my land is low and wet for most of the year, especially if we have regular rain. It's also very acidic and I've been working on amending that. Sunlight is part of the problem as well. I've been cutting back the maples and some of the pine to remedy that. I've also got some large oak that shade my plots. Can't bring myself to take those down. I suspect wilt will make that decision for me soon enough. I'm little more committed to them this year with the amendments I added last fall, this spring and again when I planted in July. Very interested to see what the results will be. I also added a little rye in with them when I planted, since I had about 10lbs left over from last year and wanted to use it up.
I just don't have the type of property to have the optimal food plots some do. I've managed to carve out a few plots on high ground in the woods and work with that. I'll probably never have the kind of plots I'd like to but I do enjoy the time I spend working on them and the satisfaction of seeing deer consume what's available.
We work with what we have I guess.

Wisconsin. Yes, Juneau county. Aside from the sandy soil a good portion of my land is low and wet for most of the year, especially if we have regular rain. It's also very acidic and I've been working on amending that. Sunlight is part of the problem as well. I've been cutting back the maples and some of the pine to remedy that. I've also got some large oak that shade my plots. Can't bring myself to take those down. I suspect wilt will make that decision for me soon enough. I'm little more committed to them this year with the amendments I added last fall, this spring and again when I planted in July. Very interested to see what the results will be. I also added a little rye in with them when I planted, since I had about 10lbs left over from last year and wanted to use it up.
I just don't have the type of property to have the optimal food plots some do. I've managed to carve out a few plots on high ground in the woods and work with that. I'll probably never have the kind of plots I'd like to but I do enjoy the time I spend working on them and the satisfaction of seeing deer consume what's available.
We work with what we have I guess.
Don't lose sleep over it. Many times my plots are not "pretty" but the deer still pound the heck out of them. Soil tests show that we not only need a lot of lime, we also need a bunch of K. A bag or bags of 0-0-60 is inexpensive and well worth with.

All great posts from the Juneau guys! Get the brassicas in early and if you can't get it in any sooner, the rye can by overseeded as late as mid Sept and still put on some growth in most years. We were in Clearfield and had a few years when we put rye down the weekend before the bow opener and had a green field 2 weeks later. Takes off in the spring with no issues. When are you guys going to do some property tours? Got to be at least 10 guys in the general Juneau/Adams Co area who could host and or attend a tour.

All great posts from the Juneau guys! Get the brassicas in early and if you can't get it in any sooner, the rye can by overseeded as late as mid Sept and still put on some growth in most years. We were in Clearfield and had a few years when we put rye down the weekend before the bow opener and had a green field 2 weeks later. Takes off in the spring with no issues. When are you guys going to do some property tours? Got to be at least 10 guys in the general Juneau/Adams Co area who could host and or attend a tour.
I'd consider it but with such a small property there isn't much to look at. We would probably end up just drinking an excessive amount of adult beverages and feasting on Chicago style Italian venison sandwiches :cool:.

We would probably end up just drinking an excessive amount of adult beverages and feasting on Chicago style Italian venison sandwiches :cool:.

Count me in!! I'd be happy with a grilled venison burger.