Wildflowers plantings

scott44

5 year old buck +
I had wanted to plant a couple wildfower fields this spring but never had time or when I had the time it was too wet. This will be my first try at these and I have a few questions on what works and what doen't. My plan was to treat them like a NWSG planting, mow, spray now and plant next spring. Those of you who have done these do you lightly disc the ground or do you just broadcast into dead thatch? Thanks in advance.

Here's a pic of one of the places I want to try these, about 1/8-1/4 acre right in front of the MG, switch field on the right.
It's been mowed once, it's grasses and goldenrod now.

I broadcast mine in December after spraying the plot a number of times the previous spring/summer/fall. No tillage of any kind
So like frsot seeding switch.

I broadcast mine in December after spraying the plot a number of times the previous spring/summer/fall. No tillage of any kind
Stu, so you never tilled the soil and you had good luck with the flowers getting contact with the soil? Thats great as disturbing the soil can release allot of weeds.

You know I am planning an acre of wildflowers this fall and I had planned on broadcasting them onto roto-tilled soil probably around November 14th. My thoughts are the soil will be dormant but I will certain to get seed to soil contact for next spring. What do you think?

Last year we had little snow but its hard to say if we would have snow in November or not. You must have had good luck with broadcasting in December and then mowing?

I'm not certain if I can get that good of timing but I could watch the weather and then take a day off and run to my place and get the work done. I know on my place we have snow often by December.