Wild Rice

SWIFFY

5 year old buck +
Whose tried planting wild rice?

Ive got one pond (slough) thats 5 acres. Its 6"-24" deep and a very muck bottom. It has an inlet and an outlet. Used to be full of different aquatics and full of ducks. Now theres very few weeds and it seems to be all minnows and pelicans. Thinking about trying to broadcast some Wild Rice. Has anyone else had luck with that? Spring or Fall planted??

Thanks

It's getting late to spring seed it now and you would need to buy seed that was pre-soaked all winter. You can fall plant in September or get an order in for spring seed and broadcast late April early May.
I'm going to put some in next spring to see if it will work here, looking at native millet too.

we get a few stands of it here in NJ, if you know what to look for you can spot it growing, some real near me sorta up north, and larger areas of it down south jersey

Ive found some presoaked... but they sure dont give it away! Im thinking about getting a license this fall and trying my hand at harvesting some to plant...?? There is a fair amount of it within 30 minutes of me.

With nothing growing, you might have a silt build up that is very light in structure but does not allow sunlight or seed bed to develop. This may mean a restriction to flow downstream.

Wild Rice requires water flow and a cold dormancy. You may want to see if you have a beaver dam or some other restriction to flow down stream causing your situation.

Usually it needs to be planted in the fall with fresh seed.

You are probably right. Its flowing but not much. The water is 6" deep... but im up to my chest in slop.