Wild hogs

Like I said, I've been over it for a while. ;) I'll stick with hobby farming when I get animals.

Hogs are good eating for sure but you absolutely do not want them around. If it ain't made of steel, they will tear it up. Drop three litters every 14 months. Females can breed at 6 months. I have no experience with Wolves but would but the ranch that that they would lose every time they jack with a big hog, +250#. I have seen one hog I felt was easily 400 and would bet on that hog against every predator in North America.

Don't even think about it Jim. We do NOT need hogs! So many folks (with good intentions) thought they could run a fun hog hunt......and infected the whole areas. I say we need a law to keep 'em out of MN.

We might have that law. A government veterinarian worked to get rid of the hogs in that operation south of Brainerd.

It would be interesting to know what the rules are about pigs. I've seen Craigslist ads for natural pasture raised hogs in SE MN that looked very similar to the hogs we shot in Texas. They were openly advertising at one point, so I'm assuming it was legal to have some type of pasture raised hog that looked pretty wild. Their pictures showed these hogs running around a pasture that looks like it should hold beef cattle. If my memory is correct, I think the price per pound was extremely high for the type of heirloom breed they were selling.

I know that grass fed, free range, cage free and other similar descriptions seem to bring in higher prices for livestock so maybe pasture raised semi-wild hogs will be more common. I wish a had a neighbor that had heirloom hogs that occasionally escaped rather than the 2000 pound black angus steers that occasionally work their way into my food plots.

It's a Billion dollar business here in IN and you will be hard pressed to see a hog outside of a building and if you do it won't be many. The days of hogs outside rolling in the mud here are long gone in my area - too much of a business now. Running those critters thru like a factory anymore.

"You boys up north better watch out - once the wolves eat all your deer - they might have to bring hogs in just so the wolves have something to eat!!!!!"

Once the wolves eat the up north deer, they will move south and probably east.